Best Three Cities for an American to Watch a Game

Discussion in 'Germany' started by jeremygl09, Oct 6, 2015.

1. jeremygl09

jeremygl09 Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    As an American coming to Germany in the spring, I was just wondering what three cities I should go to watch games while I am there. Obviously I will want to see a game in Munchen, but I don't just want top see the same team play three times. Any suggestions on what other cities would be good to see games and why? The dates of my trip are the 2nd of March through the 16th of March.

2. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The travel distances are so small that you can basically go everywhere you want. Bayern might be difficult and expensive (if not impossible) to get tickets for. Dortmund is surely worth a visit for the stadium and atmosphere but Ruhr Valley does not offer much to do else. Berlin(every tourist ends up there sooner or later) has history and nightlife and Olympiastadion + Alte Försterei. Apart from Leverkusen, Leipzig, Ingolstadt, Wolfsburg and Hoffenheim every 1st and 2nd Buli city should be worth a visit.

jeremygl09 repped this.
  3. jeremygl09

jeremygl09 Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Thanks for the quick reply this will really help with my travel plans and hopefully reduce some of the costs by booking early.

4. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Alte Försterei and Union Berlin are the kind of romantic football culture. In combination with Berlin this is a safe bet for a great football experience. Tickets are available and the fans are welcoming. ;)

5. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Leipzig is a great city imo, I even prefer it to the more famous Dresden. That said, I doubt visiting a RB game is all that thrilling.

02.03. Kaiserslautern - 1860 Munich (great stadium and atmosphere)
    02.03. St. Pauli - Braunschweig (unique club and great city)
    05.03. Dortmund - Bayern (good luck getting a ticket)
    05.03. Dynamo Dresden - Stuttgarter Kickers (great atmosphere, interesting city)
    06.03. Union Berlin - FSV Frankfurt
    12.03. Bayern - Werder Bremen (only Bayern home game during that time)
    13.03. Kaiserslautern - Bochum
    13.03. St. Pauli - Sc Paderborn

It's also possible that there will be German Cup games, at least last year the round of sixteen fell in that time.

6. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Leipzig might be nice - but he asked for a football game and not a marketing instrument.

cortisoljunkie and Zak1FCK repped this.
  7. cortisoljunkie

Jun 24, 2014
    melancholy hill
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    #7 cortisoljunkie, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    Start up north? St Pauli, HSV and Bremen are all playing at home that weekend. If you're lucky, the schedule may fall in such a way that you can watch two, or even all three, play on separate days. Braunschweig isn't too far away either, they have a home game against Duisburg that same weekend which .. if things carry on as they are, might have goals aplenty.

Doing this means during the week you can work your way down to Munich in time for the next weekend, visiting places on the way down. Leipzig, Nürnberg and Rothenburg for example ;)

Heads up in Munich, the arrogance is not too subtle (stereotype true, but you get there and BAM! i stopped thinking my friends in Düsseldorf were joking once I got there :confused:) and they drive like they all think they're in tanks or something.. Charming city though. Regarding bayern munich, this is how I got a ticket https://tickets.fcbayern.de/Internetverkaufzweitmarkt/EventList.aspx?AcceptsCookies=yes, just got to keep an eye out in the weeks leading up to whatever game you want to see. The tickets are re-sold at sale price, so it's not expensive :)

... I should take up travel planning :ROFLMAO:

8. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Don't limit yourself to strictly 1BL. 2BL offers nice stadiums, atmosphere, and games. Also, the schedule isn't exactly set yet, but you could maybe attend one game in Gelsenkirchen(or Köln or Gladbach) and the next day go see Dortmund play, since they are most likely to play Sunday games with Europa League.

cortisoljunkie repped this.
  9. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Do you play you can play in any city. Parks have enclosed areas with a small field. Some kids playing play with them a lot of fun. Just don't buy Italian food there. If you do take off the gravy as we used too say the sauce. Then go to a Turkish restraunt get their thick tomato soup and put that on. It tastes like pretty good gravy aka sauce.

10. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I live in the US but have an apartment in Berlin. Berlin you can see what's left of the Berlin Wall separating east from west. Tour buses all over the place.

Go to the canal they have all sorts of boats take the canal tour. They have floating restaurant and night club. Nice museums but a lot of graffiti. Outdoor markets run by the Turkish residents. You can even rent a boat for a private party. I had a private party for my grandsons baptism. My daughter and my grandson live in Berlin.

Fun to drive there don't let walking Germans stop you from driving fast:)

11. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Typical American

12. cortisoljunkie

Jun 24, 2014
    melancholy hill
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    [​IMG]

13. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I guess that is why when in Germany I hang out with the Turks and not the Germans :)

14. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This is funny cause Americans actually cant drive.

NUFCBayern repped this.
  15. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The thing I like the least about the Germans is they are always offering me a beer. I can't drink beer because of somethin I remember as a young kid. I tell them that and they still do it. So I tell them what happened and they never offer me a beer again.

But I love your football that's the important thing right?

16. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No American women can't drive.

17. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Especially the asians!!

18. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It was a reference to the famous "typical Germans". But hey as a Berliner Fahrradfahrer I don't like your Rambo attitude, it's true. Btw, you're not serious with that Turkish chemical bomb they call hot sauce, are you? And also with the Italian Food?! I mean there are so many places in Berlin where you get very original and good Italian food. I due Forni, I Giradischi, Delizie D'Italia only to name few. These places are crowded with Italians and not because the Italian food there isn't much Italian..

19. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No. Just Americans. Happens when your driver license is available for 5 bucks.

NUFCBayern repped this.
  20. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My daughter and Grandson live in Berlin. My ex son in law parents lives in what was East Germany. They have a house there. There nudists I never met a nudist before there too weird for me. Haha but I do care about my ex son in law a very nice guy. Big football fan. They had some party in Berlin when Germany won the WC.

21. TheRedGrobar

TheRedGrobar New Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's funny I'm actually going the exact same dates as you and will be attending Der Klassiker, as a BVB fan it is one of my big time bucket list events! tickets are brutally expensive, but to be able to experience the sudtribue for this game is well worth it to me...

22. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Please don't call it that

23. TheRedGrobar

TheRedGrobar New Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    is that an unpopular moniker with ze Germans??

24. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It is a wannabe bandwaggonihno know nothing term.

P to the Wee repped this.
  25. TheRedGrobar

TheRedGrobar New Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well I've been following Dortmund in one way or another as much as I could since I was a child due to family connections out that way, but I guess I don't spend enough time on the internet to have realized that it's a "bandwaggonihno" term. But thanks for your helpful explanation!