Best Studs for Hard Ground?

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by chookgoo86, Jul 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chookgoo86

chookgoo86 Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking for advice re: my next boot purchase:

I recently re-located from the Pacific Northwest to the Midwest and went from playing on only modern turf fields (indoor and outdoor) to grass. It's summer here and the ground is very dry and hard. It's the kind of pitch where you can see more dirt than grass. I've been wearing my old Nike Tiempo Legend FGs and I've come home after each session with the bottom of my feet aching. The stud pressure is really hurting my heels and balls of my feet. I have worn these boots in the past on moist fall/spring grass, where the cleats actually dig into the dirt, and they didn't give me any problems.

Essentially, playing on this sparse grass and hard dried soil is like playing on concrete in FG cleats. I realize there are HG cleats out there, but I haven't see a pair for sale on any major US soccer websites or my local soccer shops since the Beckham Predator days.

So question is: has anybody experimented with wearing AGs, TFs, tennis shoes, etc on true hard ground? My gut says maybe trying out a pair of AGs cause their stud configuration looks similar to HGs (many low studs).

2. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think you answered your own question there - If you can't play in FG you have no choice other than to try AG boots. I'd probably wear those over turf shoes.

appleCORR