Best Striker in the World?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by HwarangDo, May 2, 2003.

1. HwarangDo

HwarangDo New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    This has probably been asked several times before but anyway..
    Post legit. reasons to go with your goalscorer

My opinion--
    5. Vieri.. As dangerous as any other forward in the world especially when his team desperately needs him to score, and one of the hardest (if not the) to defend when on his game. Strong as an ox and with speed to boot, he can burst through a defensive line at will. Vieri lacks a left foot shot which could elevate him higher.
    4. Ronaldo.. When he's at his best, he is simply the most incredible sight in world football. His speed latching onto a ball is unparalleled and his explosive shot isn't something to ignore either. However, in my mind he is definitely past his prime and despite his extroadinary talent he is not consistent enough to be THE best.
    3. RVN.. His blood turns to ice when he is in front of the goal. Ruud is undoubtedly the most prolific goal scorer in the world and is IMO a better finisher than any other. If he showed more knack for passing and teamwork (although admittedly his team relies on his selfishness) he would be my #1 pick easily.
    2. Henry.. Currently he is the most versatile & skilled forward in the game. He is capable of holding the ball longer than any other forward I can imagine, knock down beautiful free kicks and probably play any offensive midfield position. His finishing is weaker than the others on this list but his crossing/passing skills more than make up for that. Could work with anyone up front and dominate games single-handedly but he is sometimes inconsistent in terms of mental toughness (esp. when his team is being outplayed) and also lacks that ICY blood in his veins hungry for goals..
    1. Raul.. Probably the most mature and cool-headed striker out of the whole list. Not the best finisher or the best dribbler but if you need a consistent & clutch performer to rely on to score goals or create goals up front when you need them this is the man for you. His offensive vision is unparalleled for any striker (save Totti & Bergkamp). He can hold the ball up like a one-top better than any other and work perfectly well with another striker (esp. with Spanish compatriots). His cold-as-ice finishing has been the backbone of his club's giant success. The prince of Madrid gets my pick.

2. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't think he's the best striker in the world, but Inzaghi has impressed me the times that I have seen him player. A bit of a poaching striker, but sometimes the best are just that. I got to think that he deserves honorable mention. My vote for the best striker in the world right now would have to go to van Nistelrooy.

3. sjjn

sjjn Member

Mar 29, 2002
    NYC
    I voted other and it's definitely Super-Pippo....just for his ability to put the ball in the back of the net, or the side, or just over the line. I would also consider Larsson a poor man's Pippo, but he'll need to go to a better league to prove it.

Very closely followed by Raul, RVN and Del Piero. These guys are the top 5 "danger men". Of course this can all be tempered with the caveat - "right now". because we all know you're only as good as your last goal in this biz.

4. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    IMO Crespo. Because he's the most deadly striker I've ever seen in my life.

Then again, I don't really follow Inter so maybe it was just against Ajax.

5. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    Inzaghi is a great striker once in a while.

6. KiQuE

KiQuE New Member

Aug 14, 2002
    Vieri needs a left foot??? Isn't his left foot his main foot?

7. hoss23

hoss23 Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Crespo - scores in almost all of the big games. Too bad Bielsa had no need for his goals last summer.

8. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Show Ronaldo some love. He comes through when it counts. World Cup, Champions League... he is still the best in the biggest games.

9. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    He's 95% left footed!!

I wanted someone else to mention this oversight first. :D

10. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    ^^

Thecomplete oppoite of Henry who still goes absent on the bigger stages at crucial times.

11. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did Michael Owen get on this list?

12. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Also unlike everyone else he's playing at about 60 - 70% for over a year now and is still banging them in.

Wait till he loses weight!!! He's like 15-20lbs overweight right now and still scoring on the biggest stages for fun.

13. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    To say that Ronaldo is past it is laughable, he's what 26? and just scored 8 goals in the world cup, the most since 1970. He is quick, strong, skillful, and a great finisher. Anybody who saw him against United wil realise that. 1 good chance, 3 shots, 3 goals. When he is fit there is nobody to match him.

14. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Carsten Jancker, Dammit!!! After all, his record (not scoring in league play for two seasons with Bayern and Udinese) speaks for itself!

Of the ones on the poll, I'll have to go with who I get to see play on a regular basis. That would be Ruud Van Nistelroy or Thierry Henry. Both are awesome. But Van Nistelroy is an absolute scoring machine - he seems to account for most of ManU's offense, whereas Henry scores a lot but others on Arsenal are as deadly.

15. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    God knows - it's not as if he was last year's European Footballer of the Year or anything like that :rolleyes:

Fuck me, but the short-sighted ignorance of some BS posters really gets on my tits sometimes. Michael Owen doesn't do loads of fancy little flicks and tricks so he can't be any good? A striker's job is to score goals and he does it all the fucking time and he's only 23 years old.

BTW I didn't vote for him as the best - I think that's Ronaldo.

16. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you look at it, these are Halcyon days for world-class strikers. The players listed on the poll deserve to be there, and add to that Michael Owen, Alan Shearer, Shevchenko, Morientes, Javier Saviola, Henrik Larrson, Klose (who has been on a terror the second half of the BL season), Pablo Aimar, Trezuguet, Nedved, and many more.

17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i picked henry - no striker sets up more goals and ill be damned if he isnt the fastest player in the world with the ball at his feet - scores in bunches and makes everythiing look artistic - personally i thought the red card at WC2002 was crap so im not gonna knock him for that donut - and as far as the gunners recent slide, id hardly call that his fault - arent they losing 3-2's not 1-0's?

i agree with mobile on micky owen - the one knock on him is that hes inconsistant - hell go 10 matches without and then hit for 13 in the next 10

the striker that can do the most without scoring is raul - a classy forward

a few candidates for the future:

wayne rooney (everton)
    ilhan mansiz (besitkas)
    carlton cole (chelsea)
    fernando torres (atletico madrid)
    antonio di natale (empoli)
    dirk kuyt (fc utrecht)
    bobby zamora (brighton)
    adriano (parma)
    fabrizio miccoli (some lower rung serie A, cant remember)

the next germany frontline, both excellent all around
    kevin kuranyi (stuttgart)
    benjamin lauth (1860 munich)

as long as he keeps his mouth shut
    mido (celta vigo)

18. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long will we have to wait for him to lose weight?

19. InterSoccr6

InterSoccr6 New Member

Nov 12, 2001
    Ohio
    to be completely honest, I feel that Andriy Shevchenko is one of the worlds best currently, not just for his deadliness anywhere in the box, but his shot is pin point, not to mention he always comes through in crucial matches, he is one of the reasons AC Milan is where they are now.

20. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In the 4-4-2 mag that covered the World Cup and gave match reviews the best quote in there when describing play was from the Ireland Germany match when describing the duffer of the match it said " Carsten Jancker- couldn't score in an all hours knocking shop" that was to me the best way to sum up the way he plays the game.

It boggles my mind that a national team would even give this ass a second look but really there has not been a true quality German striker since Klinsmann( I think Beirhoff is a clod), so I guess they are getting desprate praying for some class to come along and lead the line.

I am having trouble picking a player for the best striker on the poll because all of them are so good and so vital to their team. Each one has their weakness as well as their strengths.

Henry and Ronaldo both are rubbish in the air but blistering on the run and great flair players witha knack for the fantastic.

Veiri is great in the air and on the left he couldn't hit the ocean from a boat with his right.

Owen is English and that by birth makes him crap(just joking),but he is pretty hot and cold but on his day he is class.

RVN isn't as fast as Henry or Ronaldo but that is really his only soft spot to me he scores the whole range from the simple to the sublime.

Raul is class and really underated/overlooked when it comes to awards I would say he has been the most overall on form striker in the World for the past 4-5 years, but he is not a threat running at you with the ball .

But its all in what you like I guess I would pay the transfer fee for any of them if I was running a club.

21. Duuuuude

Duuuuude New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    Neverland Ranch
    Elber, clearly.

Seriously though, Henry isn't an out and out striker, but if I were picking All-Earth XI and the fate of this planet depended upon the result of the match, I'd pick him. RVN is a great goal poacher and works as the single striker in 4-5-1, but he doesn't play well off a strike partner and a superior team can easily contain him.

22. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Micheal Owen is quite unbelievable at times too.

Needs one tenth of the space a goofball like Ronaldo does.

23. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    About September by my reckoning. Pre-Season training will see both he and Roy Keane in much better condition than they have been this year.

24. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Then i fear, we are all doomed as Henry looks like the fate of the world depends on his performance and psyches himself outta the game! :p

Don't ya think ya man should at least *dominate* an elite competition before you put the fate of 6 billion people on his shoulders? hmmmm!

25. Mefisto

Mefisto Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Århus, Denmark
    Roy Mckaay should be on that list