Best story of your week - 2017

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Dr. Gamera, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    If you can't afford the UA stuff C9 at Target makes some really good gear like this for a great price.

I've been rocking my C9 Thermal stuff and been nice and toasty warm.

I always wear a regular black compression SS shirt on the bottom layer and then put the fleecy-lined LS mock turtle over it, just in case I get too hot, then I can peel the thermal layer off and still have my SS underneath so nobody gets jealous of my sculpted ref bod.

I also have a Mizuno baseball warm-up from the late 90s (those shiny, garbage bag-looking deals) just in case it rains or gets super windy.

2. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is exactly what I do. End of season clearance is when I stock up.

3. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    #1103 Bubba Atlanta, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    And I'll add once again that a lightweight black breathable waterproof shell with a removable or rolldown hood (like this one) is wonderful for getting you to and from the field but also for layering underneath your ref jersey when it's really cold or windy or wet or all three. (Much to my surprise, I wore mine that way last Sunday afternoon.)

4. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016
    I applied for the Spring Showcse, but as an older newly minted Grade 8 I am guessing my chances are not great.

dadman and frankieboylampard repped this.
  5. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I worked with the referee from that game yesterday and we discussed what happened. He said the keeper is a sophomore.

6. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's an application process for DA events? I learn something new everyday.

7. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    They post on the homepage of US Soccer Game Officials assignments portal.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  8. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Does anyone else have the problem where they can only see the assessments side? If so, how did you get access to assignments?

9. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Go to your home page. Find the tab that says "Change Identity" next to the home button. When you click on the "change identity" tab you will see the groups of the web page "assessment's" and "assignment's". Click on assignments where it says switch. That should be the homepage of the assignment side of US Soccer GameOfficials. I personally would just leave it on the assignment identity because you can see all the assignments from you LAC on that side and you can access all your assessments under the "referee portfolio" on the left. If you still have issues you can PM me.

Are you in Florida Dayton, or are you from a different state?

The spring showcase for the girls is still open until November 15th if you want to apply for it.

dadman repped this.
  10. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am currently living in Houston. I'll be ponying up for flight and hotel/airbnb. I figure that if I work 2 games a day, it will end up a push.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  11. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may want to look into the showcase details before committing. Some do not pay game fees, some limit you to one game a day, I do not know if that is true for all - just a heads up.

12. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I knew that I would be paid and I was responsible for travel and lodging.

camconcay repped this.
  13. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    This weekend I took the National AR Fitness Test. I passed but I am reminded that my fitness is not what it was at the beginning of this year. :( We also had someone from PRO come and give a presentation. They had a quiz that covered the leagues PRO covers (to test our general knowledge) and a couple of new law changes. Amongst our state's nationals and 30 other high-level officials I scored the highest. Won a Starbucks card but much credit to this board on keeping me current with matches.

AlextheRef, IASocFan, dadman and 9 others repped this.
  14. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Congrats. I am constantly reminded that my fitness is not what it was at the beginning of this century. :(

15. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    First matchday of our futsal league yesterday. New venue. Fairly smooth setup (some kinks to work out after ~6 months off, no shock), really quick teardown...

Did three of the four games as R1, R1, R2 (was R3/TK for the other match), and felt decently good at the end of the third match. Covered just under 15km over the three matches. No majorly controversial calls (all told), and three of the games were extremely competitive.

Actually looking forward to next week now. :)

dadman and Law5 repped this.
  16. holdingmid

holdingmid Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Had a first this past weekend at a recreational tournament. I was CR on a U16 girls game. Pretty normal game everyone behaved (me included)! At the end of the game I was getting the game report signed by the coaches and one of the coaches asked if I had a second to talk to him. I took a big gulp and said "sure."

He told me that I had centered a game for his team a year and a half ago and that I almost removed him from the game for persistent dissent following a handling call I made on his keeper. He said that his keeper was standing inside the penalty area but reached out and picked up the ball that was outside of the penalty area and I called handling. He told me that he was absolutely certain that if his keeper was standing inside the penalty area that she could do that. (I have only a vague memory of the event from some 300 games or so ago) He said he has now gotten his referee badge and learned that he was wrong and he wanted to apologize and was very sorry for the way he treated me.

I thanked him for his words, for becoming a ref and for learning the ways of the force!!:thumbsup:

How about that--- I got smarter and I didn’t have to do anything to get there….cool. That sort of made my long reffing day on Saturday a lot better. Now if I could get my knees to stop aching from too many games….sigh…

17. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Member

Jun 15, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just became a State Referee. Went to my first DA event. Going to another DA event in a couple weeks. Going to an ODP event a couple weeks after that. Going crazy with how much things have changed from one year ago!

Ickshter, tomek75, IASocFan and 9 others repped this.
  18. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    I'll keep it super short, but I sent a Dad away in the middle of the 1st half because he wanted to scream at me for playing advantage, then calling it back right away when advantage didn't materialize. Like, REALLY mad, right near the middle of the field, so not even a dangerous FK.

I tend to the spot of the ball, check on the girl who was initially tripped, then dismiss/send/eject the guy. He keeps asking "why did you hold your arms out like this? HUH? HUH?" On and on, I do the usual "game doesn't continue 'till you're gone, please go, you're wasting your daughter's time etc..." He goes to pick up his chair and says "I just have one question; WHY did you hold your amrs out like this?"
    "I have a question for you, sir, why are you still here?"
    Everyone has a giggle, he begrudginly leaves.

Second half, about to blow to start and my AR waves me over, apparently, the parents from THAT guys' team have ratted the guy out to us, he went to his truck, changed out of his Realtree jacket and put on a grey hoodie, wearing it hood up with sunglasses, trying to hide is fairly large self behind some other parents.

"Sir, that's not gonna cut it."
    "Sorry, sorry, I just came back for half time."

Parents tell my AR he's been tossed form every single match this year, nobody knows why he bothers coming. I thought I saw him again, later, but was working, so didn'tlook too hard. AR confirmed he came back, but didn't tell me because the guy was being extremely quiet and he figured I'd abandon the match if I saw him come back. A shame, the girls were great, everyone else was great. He's right, though, I'd have stopped the match and called the cops (what we're supposed to do), the coach would have had zero impact. A real pinch.

WHAT is wrong with people?

rh89 and dadman repped this.
  19. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    And what is wrong with the league that he is still permitted to attend games?

meyers, rh89, Bubba Atlanta and 5 others repped this.
  20. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    You're safest bet is to not engage the spectator directly. A simple "Leave" is probably safe (although our state's SDI doesn't even want that much) but any more conversation is best ignored - tell the coach to toss the parent. Make him someone else's problem. If we make a dismissal quick and painless for everyone else, there's no reason for anyone else to do anything about this this guy.

He has now given you the *perfect* chance to force the club to deal with him. Terminate. There are consequences when games are terminated early due to behavior. Yes, it sucks for the kids in this game, short term pain for long term gain. I terminated my first ever match earlier this year when an ejected coach didn't go far enough away. Totally backed by the SRA.

Because he's only making life difficult for the ref and not the coach or club.

rh89, Bubba Atlanta, dadman and 7 others repped this.
  21. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Dr. Massengill, call your office

22. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    The league has no one present to check whether a particular parent is present at any future game, well, other than the referee and how would the referee know what the guy looks like? Just a rhetorical question.

When I was a club president, we hired a new DOC. Huge credentials. FIFA has him teach coaching courses. Within three months of the time he started with us, he told three dads to take their kids to some other club. "Toxic parents." It doesn't even start with yelling at referees. One of the parents was talking to the other parents at his kid's team's FIRST practice, asking them, "How do we get rid of this coach?" Once the DOC found out, he had a meeting with that dad. "Here's you son's player card. Have a nice life." If the club is afraid to get rid of that kind of parent, it will eventually destroy the team. Yelling at referees about stupid stuff is just collateral damage.

23. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I passed my 7 maintenance, but wasn't happy with my performance. I got some great feedback from both my State AR1 and the assessor. I think I need to do fewer of the lower level games that I coast through. I just wish the better games weren't clear on the other side of Houston.

Doug the Ref, dadman and Schlager repped this.
  24. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    All good advice. Big part of why I come here, I've picked up a lot of strategies and tips and tricks from you guys.

I probably shouldn't have engaged with him, I guess I've just had enough.

The coach was a real turd, too, and was dismissed with about two minutes left for persistently arguing. His GK was down and I was checking on her to see if she needed treatment and the guy comes up from behind me on the field and starts griping to me about player safety etc after he'd been warned, so I dismissed him. He took about two and a half full minutes to slowly walk himself and his player across the field, complaining the whole way. Opposing coach asked what was going on, I explained, he was happy enough to let it slide since his team was up a goal.

Fun day.

I'm talking to my assignor about it tonight at my daughter's practice to see how he wants me to handle that stuff.

Bubba Atlanta, dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  25. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Suggestion: when you get that lower game that is coastable, pick something specific to work on. It can really be anything--smiling more, talking more to players, getting outside of play on breakaways, backpedaling, not watching the ball above your head, counting fouls in your heard, identifying the style of play, blah, blah. In other words, take advantage of the games that don't take your full bandwidth to focus on things that you cant' focus on when you're doing games that stretch your talents. Both kinds of games can make you a better referee--the lower games don't have to dilute you.

DaveRef, Ickshter, rh89 and 16 others repped this.