Best story of your week - 2017

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Dr. Gamera, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    That's the best part, the answer is "no".
    They have started making 3 of the season's matches part of their tourney, though, forcing you to play in one. It's sucky, nobody likes it.

The real issue is that coaches are usually just a parent who obliged because nobody else would and there's no training for them and the rest of the parents are either absolutely cool and there for the rec reasons or maniacs who think their kids should be playing for ODP.

Last year, after seeing something kicking off across the field, I yelled to all the parents to simmer down and enjoy the game and please stop yelling at players and each other. The opposing coach then tried to start a fight with me and at some point said "yeah, well, we're clearly from different socioeconomic backgrounds." Really cracked me up, I just laughed at him.

For several years, I had this kid on my rec team who LOVED soccer, but was short, fat, has glasses, tourettes and a tic syndrome, so had trouble keeping up. We all did our best to keep him involved, and trying to get him a goal. One match, I had three grandparents sitting on the goal line calling him names and teasing him. Refs were really young and didn't want to deal with it. So, yeah, it's out there.

dadman repped this.
  2. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Sigh. :(

Law5 repped this.
  3. juneau-AK

juneau-AK Member

Apr 15, 2017

Growing as ref in 50 odd matches, that is just great; mine was another order of magnitude and still some shake their heads.

There is already lot of support from assignor, both due to fitness and being older. So make this work every time.

Most of the points were responded to others; here are some that probably need a re-think, refine, for effective communication and preparation.

One was "kids are really pretty easy," and then the situations with that jumper White 16 and his coach-dad aspect. This latter is easy to find from team roster. That is also the time to build rapport with players and coaches. You two related, and innocuous stuff like that. This demonstrates you looked at their faces, recited the name, so it imprints on brain for recall. (In my experience, the kid of coach, asst, manager, is the captain.)

White 16 jumping at people, that is opponent players, right? First time, s/he probably given benefit, second time, whistle. This was elite level, so they adjust faster. Just whistle those, set the threshold the earliest chance you get. You already saw the effect with Blue 12 coach.

At any level, your hands will become full. Mostly this is because too many things were left to do later. Not to beat own drum too much, mine record one year was 7 send-offs, 2 players for 2CT, 5 coaching staff. One coach gone in 3rd minute, latest in 12th minute.

Never ever give anyone a string, let alone a rope. As in if I was slightly deaf in one ear, I would never inform the coach who I met the first time. After the third or fourth time, s/he will figure it out. You can use that to your advantage in managing (see below).

Do not act like you dont hear them. Recall the jolly good days as a teenager at home. Who got frustrated?

The football field is workplace. Why would I want someone else to shout and keep shouting? Or worse, permit attack on my honesty and integrity? First time you hear shout from coach, respond. It may not need any disciplinary action then, later you will need. In this case of coach suggesting you being influenced by spectators, demonstrate that you were not. As that coach became more aggravated in time, the response was not effective. To me, at the next stoppage following a shout, I would approach coach, esp when the ball is on the farthest corner. Coach, you are suggesting bias. This must stop. And I am slightly deaf in that ear but not this side (with a smile while jogging away). So you got your ask, and since there was a direct assault on your integrity, you also got your tell. S/he will most likely ask you what got you that idea? Do you have a response for this handy?

As to the tumbling White, there are several other ways to handle. Mine first response would be "Dont look at me when you do that?" "Hmmm, something on the turf got you? Oh, nothing here (after visually checking the field in that vicinity). You alright Buddy?" If this is on spectators-side, that player is done. Recall, a player trying to gain advantage, will look where you are first, then raise hands. Your fitness should get you close. You are giving the benefit to player so s/he can change behaviour. If after all that diplomacy that you demonstrated, s/he continues, then a sanction would be no surprise to anyone watching, would it? The thinking was proper, if s/he wants to sit down, no skin off your nose. So tell that to the player. Why? The other team will get frustrated as you have still not taken any decisive action. You are not threatening, giving ultimatum, or warning, demeaning, or any such thing. You may get bored, but who doesn't at work! Since you are not deceived by all that antics, you can keep working.

Remember also, that that was not the first time the player has done this. S/he is verifying what you would do. So do it, take that action. Players all over the world try and find out what the referee or umpire would do. It is after this they figure out a way to deal with opponent. As to why this is is beyond the scope of this discussion-forum.

And best to separate the coach from the referee. On the field, you are referee, so referee what is front of your eyes and side to your ears. Hate and liking and all that, well, dont bring those near the field as that will greatly influence what you are trying to achieve.

Spencedawgmillionaire repped this.
  4. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    IMO just give the card. Personally my favorite cards to give are simulation and statues, in that order. Both are a blatant disrespect to the game. I don't care what age.

dadman and Spencedawgmillionaire repped this.
  5. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Gotta love Fbombs from a lady at a 10 year olds game on mother's day. that's like a trifecta of embarrassing behavior

[​IMG]

6. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have my first DA U18/17 tomorrow. The highest level game that I've centered before today was U17 South Texas 1v2 or U14 DA depending on how you look at it. Combined with my first South Texas tournament (President's Cup Finals) this weekend too. Lets just say slowly my stomach has been churning a little more each day as the nerves try to eat me alive.

I'll report back with stories good, bad, or ugly from the weekend.

7. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My son is working matches at the STX Presidents Cup as well. Big weekend for him too.

dadman repped this.
  8. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A few of the most interesting stories of the weekend over; U18 Development Acadamy center, U16 DA AR, U17 Presidents Cup final group center, U14 Presidents Cup final group AR, 1/2 U17 Presidents Cup final group center all boys.

On Friday, my Saturday DA games were moved to turf due to inclement weather. It ended up hot and sunny on Saturday. One of the ref's weather apps said at half time of the first game, currently 81, felt like 91. Including the turf, it was probably 100. Between the U18 and U16 one of the 18 players came over to get some turf burn treated on both of his legs. The trainer said, "The fluid on the spot means that you've taken the skin off down to the nerve endings. This is going to hurt." I'm pretty sure that he almost broke the hand of his teammate when the hydrogen peroxide was poured on.

The U16 visitors traveled with 2 subs, one GK one field player and begged for a water break. We obliged, heck, the ref crew could use the break too.

The first U17 boys President's Cup game is on a field that has trees over-hanging the field in 4 locations including directly over one of the goals. Of course, during the game, there is a 'shot' from 40 yards out that is sailing way high but also going for the tree. I took off running and wouldn't you know it, an attacker has too. The ball hits the tree, drops less than a yard in front of the goal where the GK flubs it and the attacker is there to try to poke it home. I nailed the follow position to be able to see the challenge and the AR, whom has his flag up. After the whistle he announced that the ball had been out. He really nailed the call and had busted his butt to get to the goal line to make the call.

In the U14 Boys AR the game was 2-0 for light blue when a ball over the top bounces over light blue's last defender and goal keeper and royal's attacker at the other end. All three players collide right at the goal. The ball goes in, the light blue goalkeeper slides under and out the back of the net and the two field players get their feet caught in the net waist high while being on top of each other on the ground. The center lays on his whistle to try to prevent any shenanigans on the ground. I'm holding off the light blue coach from running on to check on his players and the royal blue coaches are going nuts. I walk down to hear what they have to say. They thought their attacker was cleaned out and someone should have a red card. I know I should have only entertained the head coach but lesson learned. As the teams are setting up for kickoff the center calls me onto the field to ask what was up with the coaches. "They were yelling about cards and PKs because they didn't realize that you gave them a goal." The game ended 2-1 and after the game the losing coaches came up to the crew and thanked us for their best reffed game of the weekend. The head coach said something like, "There are wins and losses but the losses are easier when the game is well called."

My last game, U17 Boys, made it to halftime then there was a lightning delay. As we were setting up for the start of the second half after the delay, there was more lightning and the game was terminated.

9. wguynes

wguynes Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    I get to type my favorite word!
    appurtenance

You were unclear in your post. The AR determined the ball had left the field of play prior to hitting the branch and then came back onto the field?

10. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I was officiating the state high school track & field championships with my wife, daughter and son on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. 24 state champions in our two events, well officiated and had a great time with the other officials we usually work with there. Didn't even have to DQ anyone this year, unlike last year.
    But Sunday was the second day of what we call Big Training Weekend. I missed Saturday's clinics but Sunday morning was our annual Assessors-Instructors-Assignors meeting which was, meh. But in the afternoon, we did the second day of our Intermediate Referee Clinic, for those seeking to upgrade to grade 7. Fixed some misconceptions during the classroom presentations that the SDI and I did and then we went out for a practice game. Fifteen referees, in five teams of three, rotating through all three positions, so about five or six minutes in each spot, on an O-50 men's game. Some of them had never done an adult game before and were really nervous. They calmed down when they saw how the guys played. These guys have been playing with and against each other for 20, 25 and 30 years. Early in the first rotation, one guy is called for offside. The defender yells "He's always offside!" Darned if the same guy didn't get called two more times, in the same rotation! We give the referee teams some quick feedback after their time on the field and it was quite gratifying that they were so eager to learn what would help them do a better job. We were quickly able to identify some things that were examples of how to deal with the expectations of teams about what will be called and what will not, and how to manage the players without the whistle or cards.

11. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It went into the branches and dropped back into the field. The point of contact with the branches was initially on the field.

12. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    The reason @wguynes asked is that the general guidance from the ATR was that (unlike point ball posts above the goal line) trees overhanging are considered the same as grass -- if the whole ball does not go over the whole line, it would still be in play. That does not, I think, preclude local rules on how it should be handled. (And to me that ATR guidance made a lot more sense for trees along the touchline than over the goal.)

13. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Oh, yes, the ball crossed the line. We had discussed that the tree was in play and part of the field during pregame and warned the coaches, captains, and made an announcement right before kickoff.

dadman repped this.
  14. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a middle school game with trees overhanging the field. I told both coaches that I would consider any ball hitting the trees would be considered in touch or over the endline. Trees were near a corner of the field. The coaches seemed surprised that it would be any other way!

jayhonk repped this.
  15. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Am I the only one who thinks they should trim the trees or move the goals?

16. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Sure, but here in the real world, a lot of fields get forced into places they don't really fit because park space is limited. So especially in the rec world, there are always going to be fields like that in many places, particularly more densely populated places.

dadman repped this.
  17. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    When I did games on fields with overhanging branches, I would tell the coaches before the match that I don't watch the ball in the air, I watch the players. If it hits the branches I won't know it, so we keep playing.

dadman repped this.
  18. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    First outdoor game of the season today. AR1.

Sunny as anything with a forecast of heavy rain. Rain held off. When the wind held off, it was warm. With the wind... cold.

Glad we had LS on for this one.

Overall, fairly uneventful game. 0 cautions. 1 goal. 1 call made by AR1 that led to the FK that led to the goal. GK picked up the ball about a yard outside the area, stepped back in, looked horribly embarrassed about the whole affair. Whoops.

FK went off the wall, deflected just out of GK's reach.

19. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Had 10 games get cancelled this weekend. Was raining up here from Thursday-Saturday nonstop, and so unfortunately the entire tournament was cancelled due to rain and poor field conditions. Hoping for better weather the rest of the year.

20. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This particular park is separated into a north and south part with a major 4 lane divided road splitting it. The fields are ringed with mature oaks. Easily a hundred or more years old trees. And the fields are crammed everywhere they could put one.

21. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Was this Shakopee? It's the first time I can remember a local club cancelling their entire tournament.

22. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    We had one a few years ago where the entire tournament was KFTM. :(

23. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "This is a travesty. It's a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham."
    —Bananas

roby repped this.
  24. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The shadow in front of the goal is deceptive and the tree was only 2-3 yards on the field. The satellite is also old, the blue lines represents about how far onto the field the trees were. The left sideline had tree branches at about 10 feet. The corner was about 12 feet. The tree over the goal was closer to 20 feet up so you really had to lean back and over hit it.
    upload_2017-5-23_7-53-45.png

Attached Files:

dadman repped this.
  25. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Adult co-ed game last night. 1st division (out of 7.) Almost everybody a former college or high end high school player, with some male Brits. Seven fouls, five of them women on men, six goals. Opponents having a nice chat with each other in midfield when the ball was at one end or the other, but no quarter given when the ball was in the vicinity. Took water breaks since the temp was over 90. After the second half water break, a player asked "Should we just going to call it for dark?" I said, "No, if it gets too dark, we'll just ..... stop." And just then the lights came on. It's all about the timing! Before the game, a player hands me his card and asks, "Ref, how long have you been doing this, because I remember you refereeing me when I was in high school and now I'm 42." :)

ArgylleRef, roby, dadman and 3 others repped this.