Best story of your week - 2017

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Dr. Gamera, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    dadman and espola repped this.
  2. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Just hope your trios aren't trials!

dadman repped this.
  3. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Having been exclusively doing U10 games last couple weeks to work in new ARs, it occurs to me that there is a lot of time and brainpower I could be using to instruct coaches:
    • It's fine to let your defenders cross midfield!
    • Strict positions are over-rated!
    • Spend five minutes at every practice doing throw-ins!
    • And for the love of Collina, keep those throw-ins simple!

dadman and MetroFever repped this.
  4. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Occasionally. But my solos are always soulful. :whistling:

dadman repped this.
  5. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    And teach them the correct way to do a throw-in. Crossing your legs while throwing in the ball is seldom a good idea.

6. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I fall down every time I try it. :notworthy:

7. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Ah, but are your fourths forthright?

8. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    If not, then I follow them up with a fifth... [​IMG]

meyers, Dayton Ref, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  9. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    I've coached for about 17 years now and it's REALLY hard to not coach while reffing. Hardest thing I've done so far is coaching my club team, then pulling off warm-ups and reffing the next three matches.
    Thinking to self "SOMEBODY PRESS", "hey, buddy, next time, just throw it where you want him to go." or "Next time they do that check the other side of the field for help."

sooooo
    tough

dadman repped this.
  10. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    You really do have a sixth sense when it comes to responses...

dadman, IASocFan and Law5 repped this.
  11. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Well that one put me in seventh heaven. You win.

dadman and threeputzzz repped this.
  12. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    All right, Eight is Enough!

Bubba Atlanta and dadman repped this.
  13. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMG_0378.JPG
    - Inglorious Bastards

Bubba Atlanta and dadman repped this.
  14. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread always confirms my suspicions: you guys are nuts.

Thanks for the laughs. :thumbsup:

15. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Agree, this thread is becoming a perfect 10

[​IMG]

dadman and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  16. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Care to bet on that?

[​IMG]

Let's get down and dirty!

[​IMG]

Are we done yet?

RespectTheGame and dadman repped this.
  17. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    We're soccer refs which means we can't count higher than 11. Game Over.

dadman and fairplayforlife repped this.
  18. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That would explain why you didn't call that foul the parents were yelling about last weekend. :p
    12 Fouls and Misconduct
    13 Free Kicks
    14 The Penalty Kick
    15 The Throw-in
    16 The Goal Kick
    17 The Corner Kick

IASocFan and threeputzzz repped this.
  19. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    So what you're saying about your personal numerical recall is...

[​IMG]

dadman and threeputzzz repped this.
  20. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    12 angry men ...

dads on the sidelines

dadman repped this.
  21. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    [​IMG]

^^^ The coach last night storming the field after my CR ended the game just before his team could take a corner kick on a 2-2 game in which they were expected to win...

"YOU CAN'T END THE GAME ON A CORNER KICK"

22. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    He probably heard that from another CR. I know I did more than once when I was AR.

23. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Wrong, and I can still toss your ass while I'm still on the field, coach

uniqueconstraint and IASocFan repped this.
  24. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    That is taught by some coaches to kids who have trouble keeping their feet on the ground. I've never been a fan, but I can understand it it places where referees are two excited to be calling overly nit picky throw in violations.

dadman repped this.
  25. juneau-AK

juneau-AK Member

Apr 15, 2017
    #375 juneau-AK, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    I joined today with an aim to inquiring about fear of writing proper reports, and then came across this thread, so holding the main thought, here is what transpired in one of my futsal matches that I feel encouraged to share after reading many of the responses.

It is CoEd Adult, the facility listed the teams as Division 5 - Silver, div 1 being highest, and gold higher than silver from div 2 all the way down to 5.

During player check-in, it became obvious, that there must be bad-blood as I heard one male say "we dont like them." I make sure I collect match-fee promptly from them. Checking other team, they submit cards, one female says, we pay after seeing your performance, her teammate seconds her. I smile and show them the rules of the facility posted above their bench - simple process, you pay, then we play. They pay up; I put time on clock and we start.

The seconds start ticking down and the ball zips back and forth by the Performance-team. The Dislike team intercepts and two male players sprint down my line, and at the corner, clip in performance-calf by dislike-male, and both get snagged into the only hole in the netting. Performance untangles first and after getting upright, strong words to Dislike, who gets up and handbags galore. I am small, unlike the 105 referee shown earlier in this thread, so I blow the whistle again. Yellow to Performance for provoking I tell him, and you Mr, for retaliating. I look at the clock, it is 48 seconds since kick-off.

Next phase of play, and Dislike pulls up but still body-checks the Performance goal-keeper. No extra-curriculars. We are still in the second minute after kick-off. I bark at Dislike, You are already on one yellow, what's it going to be? He substitutes out, and does not return to play until the last minute of the half. Lots of back-n-forth action, the females going hammer-n-tongs against each other, and all unfair contact penalised; I show another yellow to another Dislike after he persists. So 3 yellows and not even that many minutes of play. I tell them, I like the intensity and would like to keep it, but you guys better start playing proper futsal. One penalty kick to each team, each scored. The intensity keeps up, and is just enough to keep me focussed. There are several pairs that are one-on-one, one girl on each team is a weak-link, so they come in only to give breather to their teammate. The opponent males do not molest them; it is only one touch they get on ball. When Dislike returns, he and Performance re-create their first encounter, exactly in the same corner. I blow the whistle a few decibels higher, Dislike mutters I am going, I tell him, just careless. The foul count is now 4-all. The score is 2-all. The facility CoEd rule is fouls accumulate until end, and the 6th is direct shot on goal.

Dislike asks that he has question during half-time break, and I approach him. He asks me why I called that, I tell him, he went ahead of you and shielded the ball out, you did not put brakes on. Just a careless foul for me. But I was going to take a shot and he blocked me, so I responded, he was ahead of you, so then there was no fair way left for you to play. Another Performance male joins in and asks can I ask a question. I wanted to have a quick sip at the fountain, so I say Enough questions. His teammate, the weaklink, asks what happens now? They wanted to know what happens with 4-fouls each. I tell them, in this division, fouls accumulate, and after 5th foul, the 6th is direct shot on goal. I restart second half.

No contact play for 22 minutes and 48 seconds, yes, I looked up and saw 00:12, and smiled. Time had flown by. Dislike goal-keeper conceded a couple of easy goals, gets frustrated and while hustling to save another barges into his goal-post and lands into his netting. So now it is Dislike 8 : 4 Performance, and boom, take-down by Performance within the 10-metre line. I ask Dislike, from there, or the 10-m spot and tell them, direct shot on goal, no pass. They have no idea what I am talking about, so I repeat. I inform the Performance goal-keeper about 5-metre limit, not necessary to be on goal-line. Dislike decide the 10-m spot, but not the direct shot on goal part, and passes to the provoking-Dislike. Tweet, turnover. Time ticks on. Another foul by Performance, by this time they know which spot and what to do. The Performance goal-keeper is smart to the setup. He saves. Buzzer sounds. I return the cards to the players and tell them I am very glad to give all your cards back, then rush to get a sip of nectar from the fountain.

I reckon there was some mention about meagre pay earlier on this thread, but this is the sort of futsal refereeing that gets my juices flowing after, now if only I remember to take a drink before, o well ...

dadman, Doug the Ref, Law5 and 2 others repped this.