Best story of your week - 2017

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Dr. Gamera, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Some days we earn our meager pay. ;)

dadman repped this.
  2. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You were more than kind to allow him to keep playing after a "bullshit" right in your ARs face....

Raider025 repped this.
  3. Raider025

Raider025 Member

May 13, 2015
    If I was centering that game he'd be gone. I'm not about to call something that intentionally directed at my AR's "incidental" so that he only gets a yellow.

4. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    So, I checked a new one off today. Kid went left foot right foot on the kickoff to send it backwards. Double touch. Indirect coming out.

dadman repped this.
  5. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had to think twice today. After taking HS test for both Texas and Iowa, all nine kickoffs in today's game went backwards. Oh, this wasn't HS - USSF. Oh well, I'll be ready for HS when it starts next week with the old rules.

6. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I've gotten the HS<=>USSF thing wrong twice already this season. Once I found myself doing a HS both-sides sub on a throw-in in a club match. Don't remember what the other one was.

It seems to get harder and harder to reprogram the old brain, not easier. At least NFHS is changing the kickoff-backwards rule to conform next year - but not the DOGSO rule.

7. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    "He's on!" Attackers' coach, standing no more than a foot directly behind me.

"No coach, he's about a half step off."

And because I'm an idiot who can't talk and use my hands at the same time (other than to gesture broadly), I fumble the swap from left hand to right, and my flag flies three feet straight up in the air. :oops:

At least I caught it on the way back down.

dadman, ArgylleRef, roby and 1 other person repped this.
  8. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    If you are saying both teams can't sub on a throw in Georgia, you can't pin that on USSF.

And, I will never know what is wrong with subbing on Any dead ball at ref's discretion.

refinDC, dadman, IASocFan and 2 others repped this.
  9. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I get it. I couldn't hear what the player said but as soon as he said something the AR was patting his top pocket. I gave the yellow, and after the game I asked what was said, you know, for the report that I had to write.

On a side note. I think the referee chapter president was getting ready to chew me out for disqualifying a player that made contact with me with as 2CT except the order was, show yellow for 2CT, pushed by player, show red for 2CT, and write up report for contact with an official.

seattlebeach and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  10. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Dang I had to read that one a couple of times and think about it a couple of times too.

tomek75 repped this.
  11. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is it bad to be proud of writing up the complicated situation correctly?

12. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    To the contrary, it is entirely appropriate. (But don't let it go to your head.)

dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  13. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Overcompetitive youth coaches that waste time deliberately by playing the ball out and subbing one player each time. The state youth league decided it was better to stop the practice instead of making the referee (2/3 of which are minors) decide if they will allow subs or not each time and determine how much time to add (which causes other issues).

fairplayforlife repped this.
  14. Raider025

Raider025 Member

May 13, 2015
    So best part of my week is I've been assigned to a Eastern Regional League youth match. Bad news is my toenail surgery recoveries supposed to go 2 weeks with the surgery shoe... Anyone think it's alright that I attempt this for 70 mins?

15. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I was happier not knowing there was such a thing as toenail surgery.

usaref, dadman and voiceoflg repped this.
  16. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    My daughter had it done - after seeing what her toe looked like immediately after the surgery I would recommend you follow your doctor's instructions! :eek::eek:

dadman, voiceoflg and Doug the Ref repped this.
  17. Raider025

Raider025 Member

May 13, 2015
    Problem is IDK who the assignor is and I already accepted it:unsure:

18. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    I would guess that the srya of the state the games are in either assigned those games or knows who did...

19. Raider025

Raider025 Member

May 13, 2015
    I think I'll be fine. I just am back to a normal sock that day so everything should be fine. Cept now I need new turf shoes since my old ones are a whole size too small :eek:

20. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck and don't push too hard. On a shoe note. I strongly suggest for you to visit a running store and be fitted for some trail running shoes. Personally I haven't worn soccer specific shoes as a referee in over 4 years.

dadman repped this.
  21. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    In all of my years refereeing, that scenario has never happened. (It will now happen this weekend!). My advice to the complaining coach....score more goals.

22. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Reminds me that for the first time this season, this week in a very competitive HS game I found myself stopping the clock for subs in the waning minutes. Home had gone up by one goal with about five minutes left. At about three minutes home coach subbed. Then he subbed again at the next opportunity and I stopped the clock. He subbed again and I stopped it again. He stopped subbing after that, but the two stoppages probably kept 30 seconds on the clock. Visitors equalized with 20 seconds to go and we went to OT.

refinDC, Raider025, dadman and 3 others repped this.
  23. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    This kind of nonsense is a reason I like the AYSO rules -- subs only at half time, about halfway through each half, and for injuries. While I loathed the model when I first heard of it, the reality is that it keeps players on the pitch for a long enough continuous period to make sure they are in the flow of the game and it prevents coaches (from inexperience or gamesmanship) from excessive subbing. (Now if we could just get folk to stop considering them a water break and coaching period . . .)

voiceoflg repped this.
  24. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    In other words, you screwed up! ;)

mathguy ref and dadman repped this.
  25. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club: