Best story of your week - 2017

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Dr. Gamera, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    dadman repped this.
  2. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My running partner (oldest son) has a great job in Seattle WA so first year we haven't run the Resolution Run together - but we are doing it virtually thanks to Santa and my new Garmin AND my daughter is running it with me so an active start to 2017!

Happy New Year to all, as Bubba said in his thread I echo MANY thanks to the insight, help and support I have received from many of you and this board!

chwmy, Law5, dadman and 3 others repped this.
  3. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sent off 2016 in Orlando working the Disney tournament. Overall it was a great year with many ups and a few bumps along the way. 2017 Started the same way as 2016 Ended. In the last few days I have been fortunate to work with a PRO referee, 2 FIFA AR's and countless other National, State and other great referees from across the country.
    My most memorable game was working 2 games with the previously mentioned PRO ref. In the first game he was the center and I was 4O. We were using coms so I got a chance to listen to him control the players. Within 5 minutes he delayed the restart of the game and had a nice and long chant with one of the players. He easily could have cautioned him for descent but chose to have a little fun with him. I could barely keep from laughing as to how he handled that 18yo.
    Additionally one of the coaches was a PITA joystick coach that also didn't like the way the referee was calling the game. At one point I finally had enough and asked to keep it professional. It stopped for a few minutes but sure enough he started again. At that time the referee also had enough and approached the head coach when I was taking care of the Assistant. The peace lasted until half time and this time I tried to use a different tactic. I informed the coach that the referee makes a living in MLS. This actually worked, because I haven't heard a peap from him for the rest of the game.
    Next up it was my turn to be in the middle and Mr PRO was my 4O. Like in the first game one of the coaches was a PITA. So the 4O set him up with an ask and few minutes later requested to have a fly by and tell the coach that his behavior is unacceptable. From that point on we had no issues from the benches. The best moment for me came with a double advantage call. In the closing minutes of the first half Red attacker was running toward the goal when he is tripped up by one of the white defenders. He keeps his balance and makes it to the PA. Once he gets there another defender catches up and pulls down the attacker to the ground. The attacker gets a shot off that barely makes it under the GK with the ball slowly going toward the net. I hear my 4O calling "Foul, Foul" to what I respond "Waaait, Waaait" and the ball ends up in the net. I point toward the center, get to the 2nd defender that pulled down the attacker and caution him for his troubles. It was the only goal and caution in the game.

jdmahoney, RefLI, AlextheRef and 9 others repped this.
  4. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Well if there was ever a year to issue a red card to that was it.

J'can, dadman, MetroFever and 3 others repped this.
  5. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

dadman repped this.
  6. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    First games of the year are tomorrow morning (four futsal matches)... I'm both looking forward to getting back into the swing of it... and dreading the idea of doing them after that holiday break... *sigh*

dadman repped this.
  7. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The year music died! RIP David Bowie, Prince, Lemmy, Merle, Glen Frey. Leonard Cohen and Phife Dawg!

8. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016

I was supposed to do futsal tomorrow, but just got word that they are snowed out. ... Expecting 6 inches during the day tomorrow, and that is way too musch for folks around here to handle. :rolleyes:

dadman repped this.
  9. elonpuckhog

elonpuckhog Member

Dec 29, 2009
    I was supposed to have outdoor soccer tomorrow. Apparently 6 inches is too much for them to play in as well.

dadman repped this.
  10. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very little snow here, but it's currently 7F! Next local outdoor games are late March or early April.

Looking forward to a little warmer weather in Texas and games later this month.

dadman repped this.
  11. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got R3PL assignment for this weekend, was in the teens this past weekend (the mostly no show blizzard) and supposed to be 70's later this week! I like 70's WAY better.

IASocFan, dadman and voiceoflg repped this.
  12. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Sure, show up after the cold days are done.

We had temps in the 20's with windchills in single digits. Two of our four tournaments canceled games, two didn't. I went to one of the ones that didn't cancel, but at least I only had two games on Friday, which was the worst day. Some refs were on fields all day.

At least we aren't North Texas, they had all that and snow/freezing rain.

dadman repped this.
  13. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why I don't do anything outdoor until March. And even then, it's still hit and miss for few weeks. I remember one particular tournament a few years ago. Mid-March, sunny and mid 60s on Saturday. Then on Sunday, we get sleet/freezing rain, low to mid 30s, and wind.

14. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Amen. I think I heard that the temps here in Houston were the coldest in 3 years this past weekend.

15. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Last week of February for me, and that's only because that tournament's assignor is wonderful.

Gotta love Alabama/Georgia weather. Congrats!

camconcay repped this.
  16. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    For those of you who haven't done any HS games this Winter/Spring, I have some advice for you. Announce to everyone that the kickoff has to go forward. I had to restart my first 3 games before I caught on that in the Fall Club season the kickoff direction didn't matter.

After doing games in the coldest temps that Houston has seen in 3 years (highs in the mid 30s), today is near record highs (79).

Bubba Atlanta and djmtxref repped this.
  17. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Member

Jun 15, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last weekend I somehow picked the best game of the tournament without knowing it. The top age group (U14B) semifinal seeds 2 vs 3, where the two teams met the day before and battled to a 2-2 draw. I prefer semifinals because they have to battle to get into the final, rather than just "not losing".

The game was 0-0 with 1 PI yellow in the first half (30 min), and I knew that it wouldn't end in a draw and go to kicks. 3 more yellows later (UB, PI, UB) and there's about 10 minutes left. A hopeful ball played forward is somehow crossed perfectly between the Penalty Spot and the Goal Area, where somehow a lone attacker has beaten his defender by a yard.

Then the defender shoves the attacker from behind before the ball arrives, DOGSO, I give yellow (that's 5) and the PK. Player finishes. 1-0.

Immediately after, a ball is played diagonally across the top corner of the opposing penalty area, where a defender shoulders the attacker off the ball cleanly. No PK. Player feigns injury, giving the coach plenty of time to yell at me from 30+ yards, wasting his own time. A player decides to join in, I decide to publicly admonish him rather than the coach, a yellow. (6 total)

Game over, losing coach says "You did a great game, all the way until that last call... you're shite!"

IASocFan, rh89 and HoustonRef repped this.
  18. timtheref

timtheref Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Situation as described should still be red for DOGSO. A "shove" is not a careless attempt to play the ball. The new wording for the law would be a yellow for a trip, attempt to trip, kick, or attempt to kick here. But by letter of the law, even with the new changes, this should be red, even in the penalty area. Just FYI.

RespectTheGame, camconcay, rh89 and 4 others repped this.
  19. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree but not with your assessment of the new laws. If the ball isn't there yet I don't think you can justify Dogso. Admittedly I could be visualizing the cross differently than you. But sticking with the theme of the new laws, assuming you consider this dogso, how can it be an attempt to play a ball that isn't there even if it's a trip etc? So I'm that case I think it would still be red even if it was a trip. I love the new "simpler" dogso.

20. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Not so. The consideration in Law 12 is "likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball." If ITOOTR the player who was fouled had a high likelihood of gaining control of the cross, it absolutely can be DOGSO.

But @timtheref is 100% correct. Law 12 expressly provides that the downdgrade to yellow is not available if the "The offence is holding, pulling or pushing," and the OP described a pushing foul.

timtheref repped this.
  21. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There has to be a threshold there. If the ball is still 20 yards away and moving that direction it is ludicrous to try and say the scoring opportunity is obvious. Too much can happen in that time and distance. I know what you are getting at but that criteria has to come with a bit of a reasonableness test.

I've seen too many FIFA reviewed videos that said no to dogso for the exact reason.

Bradley Smith repped this.
  22. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I think that qualifies.

23. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    Well, 2017 has started off great, with a huge college showcase cancelled due to a rare snowfall in Portland. Was supposed to do 13 games over 4 days.

24. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    My wife got us an hour massage as an anniversary present. She's been going monthly for a while, I'd never had a "real" massage before, but ay-yi-yi I can see working that into my season routine!

Honorable mention, had a marvelous Boxing Day kickaround with several dads, my 8th-grade son, and a tribe of U12s who absolutely carved up the place. My son was chuckling at being considered "adult" when the U12s were putting us into teams. Delightful.

dadman and rh89 repped this.
  25. timtheref

timtheref Member

Aug 23, 2010
    DOGSO was the term used in the original post I quoted, so I went with it.