Best Story of the Week - 2019

Discussion in 'Referee' started by code1390, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Red has enough to play; Blue doesn't.

dadman repped this.
  2. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    That's clearly a job for VAR.

IASocFan and dadman repped this.
  3. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Ha...my 5' 4" daughter was a striker on her State Champ team. Everyone called her "Jaws". She be small but she be fierce! :devilish:

voiceoflg and dadman repped this.
  4. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Friday night U12 boys tourney match #1.

Red is better team, blue is luckier team.

Blue player BEAUTIFULLY times a run for the 2nd goal. Parents screaming for offside, going ballistic, so I jog over and give the usual "We don't need your help, please don't talk to the officials, keep it positive for your players, or you'll be asked to leave". everyone shuts up.

At the half, AR2 says this mom complained about it, he explained that it's when the ball is kicked, he gets a chorus of nonsense about how that's not correct. I tell him next time to quote the law "Law 4" or something like that, usually works, but be ready to have a response when they look it up if you don't know the right number.

2nd half, red team throwing kitchen sink at blue and it's working for the most part, they just can't net the ball.

3:20 remaining and score is 3-2 Blue. Blue has little possession, ball goes out, I'm sure it's red ball, I glance at my AR, confirmed, parents in front of OOB up in arms about it being blue ball. "I asked you earlier to not argue with the referees, please stop. Next one is going to have to leave."

Naturally, one dope (wearing the official jacket of the blue team) IMMEDIATELY screams "but it's BLUE'S BALL!"
    "Ok, sir, you gotta go."
    "But that's the first thing I've said."
    "I just warned you. You have to leave."
    Wife "But that's literally the first thing he's said"
    "Let's go, sir."
    Dude sits back down, crosses his arms in a huff like a 6-year-old and says "I'm NOT going anywhere! And you can't make me!"
    I think quickly, if this were a league match, I'd end it there and then, but it's a tourney and it's be super unfair to the kids (I know, I know), so I say
    "That's ok, but I'm going to abandon the match, and in my report I'm going to write that it was a Troy FC spectator that refused to leave the area after abusing an official and the tournament will likely forfeit the match for your team, who is winning right now."
    As he leaves.. "YOU'RE a JOKE! YOU'RE a JOKE!!!!" (ok, bro, I'm not the adult who was just tossed from a U12 soccer match, but I'm the joke...)

About a minute later Red keeper is injured, so I stop by my AR
    "I'm adding about a minute due to dipstick's tantrum down there, it'd be unfair to red to lose out on time because of that blue team dope. But our 'official' time is mine, if it comes up, your watch matches mine, I'll take any heat post-match. Is that ok with you?"
    He agrees, as does other AR a moment later.
    Backup keeper comes on, there's 1:20 left.
    My original time is up and I announce that there's a minute left to the players.
    Red gets a corner kick and scores 15 seconds later.
    Match ends in a draw.

Had that idiot not gotten into a pissing match with me his team would ave likely won.

Post-match, AR2 tells me that a mom from Blue is yelling at him that we can't add any time he says CR has the official time and it's correct "BUT MY CELLPHONE TIMER WENT OFF!"
    "Law 19, subsection 2" he said it shut her up.
    He actually did it, and quoted a non-existent law. Kid's got guts. I wouldn't quote a fake law, but it was, in the end really funny.

I explain to tourney head ref, he agrees with me, had already been complained to, and told the parent that in the future he shouldn't be arguing with officials.

Best part of the story, I'm AR for that same team this weekend and my 16-year-old son has the whistle. Should be good times. :cautious:

5. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Be sure to report back to us the look on their faces when they see that it's you again. :)

dadman repped this.
  6. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    I really, really wish we could wear button cameras or something like that.

dadman and voiceoflg repped this.
  7. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    And you better take a copy of Law 19 with you just in case.

dadman, voiceoflg, IASocFan and 4 others repped this.
  8. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Well, NFHS has 18 rules, so, at least in high school, common sense is rule 19.

9. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Wait. Common sense in HS? What?

dadman, voiceoflg, jdmahoney and 7 others repped this.
  10. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    It's not permitted. But who's going to stop you?

11. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Let's see -- Law 18 is common sense, Law 19 is "shut the ---- up"?

dadman repped this.
  12. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those that don't know, in the NFHS rules, Rule 18 is all the definition of soccer terms.

dadman repped this.
  13. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was the diagrams of all those great body/arm signals we could do so pointy ball parents didn't get more confused....

dadman repped this.
  14. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I just checked. Common sense is not one of them.

SccrDon, Kit and dadman repped this.
  15. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    What's so confusing?

On second thought, I can see diagrams being helpful... :laugh:

dadman repped this.
  16. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Diagrams? Pictures! Pictures with the circles and the arrows and a paragraph on the back side of each one...and it was just a case of blind American justice..... (Being referees, we'd know about the blind part right?) You can get anything you want, …...

DefRef, Kit, dadman and 1 other person repped this.
  17. appwrangler

appwrangler Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 18, 2018
    Excepting Alice.

Beau Dure, Kit, Law5 and 4 others repped this.
  18. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Is everyone here over 65? I mean really!?

DefRef, IASocFan, voiceoflg and 9 others repped this.
  19. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    [​IMG]

voiceoflg and dadman repped this.
  20. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no - but a local radio station* (actual broadcast radio) plays Alice's Restaurant every Thanksgiving - and my kids (now 19 and 27) insist on listening to it.

*you can stream it as well, but they insist on listening to the FM broadcast.

Beau Dure, roby, dadman and 1 other person repped this.
  21. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Only on the autobahn, in the left lane. Well, maybe a few other times. ;) "No.....convictions!!!"

dadman and MrPerfectNot repped this.
  22. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    I hope you're doing more than 65 in the left lane of the autobahn. 100 to 130 would be more appropriate.

IASocFan repped this.
  23. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    He's from Oregon. They don't know why the speedometers have such large numbers on them, because they never get used.

dadman, IASocFan and frankieboylampard repped this.
  24. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I have only learned this week that "ok boomer" is a thing. I'm gonna ask my kids for an "ok boomer" t-shirt for Christmas.

dadman and frankieboylampard repped this.
  25. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Absolutely, until some guy in a sports car is coming up on you from behind, with his left turn signal on. Then you get in the center lane and slow to 90. MPH. It seems so much faster, though, in metric.

dadman repped this.