Best Story of the Week - 2018

Discussion in 'Referee' started by IASocFan, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Well, the defender CANNOT be unreasonably violent. The defender CANNOT plow through the attacker. The defender CANNOT kick the defender in trying to get to the ball.

The defender CAN try to go around, and CAN apply REASONABLE force in doing so. Two defenders are most effective, as one can go around in each direction. But if you want a magic formula, there isn't one. Where that contact moves from reasonable force to excessive force is ITOOTR, and referees are going to vary quite a bit on where they see the lines on these plays.

2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    There is nothing inherently illegal about a slide tackle from behind. It is just extremely difficult to do in a legal way in most contexts.

3. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    The NFHS rule (12.4.1) says:

LOTG says:

So under the LOTG, a careless charge is a foul. Does the difference in wording mean that in an NFHS game, a careless charge is not a foul so long as it's not dangerous or reckless or using excessive force?" Well, maybe, but not in any game that I'm calling.

Where it gets a little interesting in the particular scenario under discussion is the "back" part. That's where it starts to fade into You-Just-Know Land. (And that's even setting aside the fact that the NFHS rule says a shielding player may be "challenged" from behind. NFHS defines "charge" as above, but does not define "challenge.")

4. wguynes

wguynes Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    I know this, you know this. The coach in question thinks that such distinctions would no longer be in force and that one can "challenge" (tackle in their mind) without repercussion.

socal lurker repped this.
  5. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the attacker can not either, possession of the ball does not give them any special rights.

And it is not necessarily a foul on anyone when 2 defenders are legally challenging for the ball and the attacker tries to dribble through, jumps through, whatever and falls as a result - it is closer to a foul on the attacker yet most expect a call for the attacker because they had the ball.

dadman and socal lurker repped this.
  6. SouthernYank

SouthernYank Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Take your pick of thread. Best Story, things you don’t see very often, rarest call, etc…

I called a drop ball for outside interference….for something I did.

Small sided games, fields are end to end, so behind one of my goals is another fields goal. I am backpedaling near midfield, when I step on a ball from that field. First off, that is a very shocking feeling, when you are expecting to have your foot hit the ground and you step on something else, let alone a ball that you roll off of. Luckily, nothing twists or no pangs of injury. I have about a 4 foot wide window to kick the ball back to that field. I pass it on the ground, as there are other players around and I don’t want to hit it in the air and risk hitting them. So I pass it back, heading about 5 feet wide of the goal on my field, quickly turn back to play going on around me, only to realize that the defenders just coughed it up and now the ball is going straight to an outside attacker with the ball running right towards the goalie, where at the same time, my slow rolling pass it just arriving. Keeper and attacker are both influenced by this other ball, so I quickly blow my whistle. Neither of them knew I was the one who kicked it, so they weren’t mad at least.

Must have been very comical to watch as an observer.

7. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Anyone else think having to make executive decisions regarding weather delays is the absolute worst part of this job?

rh89, tomek75, Ickshter and 3 others repped this.
  8. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You mean getting fhe losing coaches signature and passing them back their game cards after the game isn't the worst part of the job?
    Or being a 4th official for a struggling referee...

9. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    In my world 4O assignments are quite rare but yeah I can see how that would be no fun.

dadman repped this.
  10. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    AR1 for a struggling ref is bad enough.

11. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You had games last night as well? ;) I had one @ 7:30. clouds looked ominous. I asked bother coaches if we could start early. they agreed. Got the whole game in 5 minutes before the deluge hit. Got out with only wet shoes and socks.

Not when you use electronic sign ins and don't need ANY coach interaction after matches now. Not ALL technology is bad in the beautiful game.

dadman and frankieboylampard repped this.
  12. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Had 2 premier games last night, scheduled at 6 and 7:40. 21 minutes into the second half of the 1st game with the away team up 2-1 I see lightning. I clear the field and after figuring some math inform the coaches that because there is a second game scheduled on the same field if we have another strike after 10 more minutes the first game will not restart. They go to their cars thinking they will probably be sent home in 10 minutes with the game counted as complete (40 minute halves). Then the coaches of the second game come across and tell us they don't want to start late because they were probably going to run out of daylight even if they started on time, and they mutually decide to reschedule instead. I hustle to find the coaches of the first game to let them know there is no second game anymore so we need to wait despite the continued lightning. Once I get everyone informed I get on the phone to the assignor just to verify and he says yes wait it out. We do, and after an hour delay we get the teams back on the field. After letting them warm back up and 19 more minutes of play, the home team comes back for a 3-2 win. The away team was crushed, but props to them no one said a word to us.

dadman repped this.
  13. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Tonight, I board a flight for Helsinki then on to Moscow. World Cup here I come!

14. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of my best weeks and my worse weeks.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of Centering a U18 National team vs a U19DA team. The U18's beat the U19's by a score of 4-2. It was by far the best level mens soccer I was a part of. This includes USL games that I work once in a while. The kids on both sides were super fast and extremely skilled. There were almost no breaks in play because of the lack of fouls. I only had one caution to the U18 captain for a blatant hold on an attacker about 40 yards out. He grabbed onto him and would not let go for what it seamed like an extremely long time. Both sides played mostly built up an attack from their own side and did a long cross ball from one side to the other. According to my GPS I covered 6.9 miles in an 80 minute game.
    Unfortunately for me I went down with a major cramp in the 75th minute and was replaced by 40. This morning I went to a local clinic and was diagnosed with the Flu. I just contacted my LAC to let him know that I will have to turn back my USL line this upcoming Saturday. That sucks.

15. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Wow – best wishes, have fun, and watch your back over there in Thugland.

dadman repped this.
  16. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what you mean. I absolutely hate turning back or declining games. I had to decline a USL 4th official assignment this weekend because of my daughter's birthday. Not mad, family first. I just don't want to get on the assignor's bad side for possible future assignments.

dadman repped this.
  17. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #availability #availability #availability

18. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I can't stress that enough to the youngsters I work with. I only ARed two Region III Premiere League games in my career. I tell them it was mostly because of an ability that is a necessity in refereeing. Availablilty.

dadman repped this.
  19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    U-12 game last night.

#10 white (a kid with some sick soccer ball skills) tries to beat a triple team in the box and goes over. He looks up and yells in his squeaky kid voice "C'mon ref!" I tell him to get up as I follow the game down the field. He recovers to the play and fouls the red player in the back. Tweet! I call the foul against him.

Here is the conversation:
    #10: I didn't do anything
    Me: You knocked him over from behind.
    #10: I didn't foul him
    Me: OK 10, I heard you. That's enough.
    #10 It wasn't a foul
    Me: Quiet 10. Enough
    #10 (Now mumbling very loud) I didn't foul him!

Whistle from me as I reach for my yellow card, I hear behind my back red's coach quietly saying 'lesson time.' I almost burst out laughing, but hold myself together and give #10 his yellow.

Post game, he doesn't join his teammates in handshakes with me. His coach makes him go out. #10 apologizes to me, and we talked about for a minute and he leaves smiling, so I think we are good.

roby, dadman, rh89 and 8 others repped this.
  20. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Secret Outside Agent Man!

dadman repped this.
  21. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    "They've given you a number [2018] and taken 'way your name."

roby and dadman repped this.
  22. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For you youngsters who are not getting the reference:

Off topic, sorry, but think of it as a PSA. :)

23. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    What's more, anybody who did get the reference has a whole 'nother meaning for PSA!

MrPerfectNot, Law5 and dadman repped this.
  24. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Finally cleared to return to officiating on Friday, I will be back with a pair of games tomorrow!

seattlebeach, Law5, malackym and 7 others repped this.