Best Story of the Week - 2018

Discussion in 'Referee' started by IASocFan, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't want to start a new thread so I'll post it here. ESPN wrote an article that takes an inside look at NBA officiating. It talks about basketball but overall there's a lot of nuggets about what it's like to be an official of any sport. I found my self nodding in agreement multiple times.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23680154/crucial-calls-nba-refs-make-biggest-stage

This one in particular stood out to me.

"Players, coaches and, for that matter, virtually every person in public life is afforded the privilege to apologize for mistakes, defend their honor or offer consolation to those they've wronged -- the owners, the execs, the players and the coaches with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake, the fans who live and die with their team. Yet referees are prohibited from saying anything, apart from a couple of boilerplate quotes to a pool reporter following the game before they go marinate in their blunder."​

roby, dadman and MrPerfectNot repped this.
  2. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    A good referee buddy and I helped out mentoring some young referees today during 5 u-10 matches. Build out line and all that!

Here’s what happened:

We had a double touch kick off, a double touch corner, a crying goal keeper, an FRD from a DFK and best a GK out for a corner EXCEPT it never left the PA before it went out. We had calm appreciative coaches and the young refs did really well. Hopefully, out of the 3 of them maybe one will be with us next year.

Funniest, though, was a girl, attempting a throw in, stage whispering to her teammate, instructing her where she was going to throw it!

BTW, yesterday 93 degrees. Today 58.

dadman, voiceoflg and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I had one of those, too--in a G19 game! I blame the curse of this board for discussing it recently . . .

4. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    When I am getting beaten downfield worse than I should, its usually because I am focussed on one the AR's secondary duties. If two players are getting into it a little bit and I am watching them; If the ball is launched from near my sideline; if the coach is in my ear with something stupid; these are all thnigs that can put me a step behind on a ball over the top. (And if I start out a step behind, it only gets worse as we go...)

Recognizing these distractions usually helps, but some games you are just behind. Also be clear on what the risk is: on the ball over the top, you have a snapshot for the first decision. The reason you are running is to detect whether the second Forward is ahead of the ball when the first Forward passes it to him once he gets control--or gets the rebound off the shot. So even if you are 3 paces behind, you should be trying your best to anticipate this decision using the 18, the 6, and your best field geometry.

IASocFan, dadman, SCV-Ref and 1 other person repped this.
  5. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Take games on fields that have football yard lines and this gets much easier :).

IASocFan, camconcay, voiceoflg and 3 others repped this.
  6. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I had a WPSL game on Saturday where a woman just started dribbling the ball backwards with about 5 minutes left in the game...

I too blame this board

7. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    Is there a worst story of week category?

My 18yr old son is doing AR2 on U13 Cup match. Game is not even 1 minute old. First through ball and he starts sprinting down the sideline.

When he called me to tell me he was on the way to emergency room, he said, "I was running, then I was on the ground with a hole in my leg". I asked him how big was the hole. He says, pretty f'ing big.

A dog came out and bit him and he never even saw it.

19 stitches

No details about kind of dog, but owner stepped up and said dog has shots and is offering to pay. So it could be worse.......

IASocFan, Doug the Ref, rh89 and 4 others repped this.
  8. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    hope your son heals quickly. Another piece of evidence for the wisdom of no-pet policies . . .

9. Mi3ke

Mi3ke Member

Oct 18, 2011
    New Mexico
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I am guessing that biting the ref is a straight red?

Cheers, Mi3kde

dadman repped this.
  10. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    ...for, um, dogso-and-so.

IASocFan, roby, swoot and 7 others repped this.
  11. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Came to make this pun. Well done.

[​IMG]

dadman repped this.
  12. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a question: Anybody here going to be at the Puma College Showcase this weekend in Illinois?

Ghastly Officiating repped this.
  13. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had an awesome Open Cup game last night in Louisville! Probably the hardest line I've ever done. Louisville City pulled the upset over New England Revolution. Got to shake hands with Juan Agudelo and Brad Friedel after the match.

14. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    I run the interval fitness test today. (150 m run/50 m walk followed by six sprints)

dadman repped this.
  15. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ODP Jamboree

I am doing some referee mentoring with some young, new referee’s. Dressed in USSF polo, khaki shorts, USSF lanyard, etc. - the designer assessor/mentor look. We finish the match and the referee crew and i are walking to the referee area for post match discussions. Along the way, we come across an unachored goal with a 10 year old climbing up the back side netting on an empty field adjacent to our field. I state in a loud voice,

“ Young man get off that netting now or I will red card you from this facility.”

I am immediately approached by the young man’s father, he gets in my face

“ YOU CANNOT YELL AT MY SON YOU PIECE OF S***!”

“He needs to get off the nettting now”

I continue walking with my crew

“YOU CANT TALK TO MY SON THIS WAY!! THATS IT KEEP WALKING! KEEP WALKING!!”

A field Marshall approachs and I say , “ You deal with him”

I walk my crew over to the ref area. We discuss the match ( not the incident, wish I had in hindsight). The referee’s are done for the day and I return to the field. I come across the field Marshall,

“What happened with the guy?”

“ There are a lot of people out here today. You happened to find the a**hole of the day.”

Unbeknownst to me , my next door neighbors brother in law witnessed the whole thing. My neighbor tells me,

“ Adam said you had an incident today. You are trying to keep his kid safe and the guy verbally attacks you. He says he has lost faith in humankind.”

Adam may have a point. No shortage of nut cases out there.

IASocFan, DefRef, rh89 and 2 others repped this.
  16. GroveWanderer

GroveWanderer Member

Nov 18, 2016
    What rulebook was this? One he'd written himself? I can't imagine a rulebook going to the level of minutiae that would be required to specify what a player can do if another player is running the ball to the corner flag.

dadman repped this.
  17. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    He was probably referring to NFHS 12.5.2:

No?

Ickshter repped this.
  18. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    LOTG had similar language dating back to when charging from behind (as opposed to C/R/EF charging) was one of the penal (DFK) fouls.

19. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Still does, more or less. I thought I remembered so, but I couldn't find it because I was searching on "behind" and "challenged," instead of "charge." (Thanks, I feel better.)

From Law 12:

That's less generous than the NFHS version (which I've always kinda wondered about). Was there an earlier LOTG version of this language that more directly addressed the "from behind" part?

20. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Back when “charging from behind” was a re was an explicit exception for when the opponent deliberately put his back toward the player. There was language about it not being dangerous, and I believe at some time there was further elaboration that it could not be directed at the spine.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  21. GroveWanderer

GroveWanderer Member

Nov 18, 2016
    Very possibly, however that just makes my point - there's no actual mention of any specific scenario, such as the exact situation of a player running the ball into the corner, which the post I was replying to said there was.

22. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That is EXACTLY what he was referring too (Thanks @Bubba Atlanta). The coach "interprets" that "Challenging from behind" Means you can run the player over from behind. He seems to not understand the "legal" part just in front of it. Or the violent or the dangerous part. A player "running to the flag" is not really attempting to play the ball and is indeed remaining between the opponent and the ball. they are just sitting at the flag and shielding the defender from obtaining the ball. He just picks and chooses what part of the rule he wishes to enforce.

23. Soccer Dad & Ref

Oct 19, 2017
    San Diego
    So, how can the defender legally challenge for that ball? As a referee, coach, and dad, I'm truly interested to hear about it, so I can teach my players the correct way to both challenge and defend it. Thanks!

24. Soccer Dad & Ref

Oct 19, 2017
    San Diego
    I found this, and like the description of a legal challenge that may still knock a player over. This is the toughest one for parents to watch I imagine.

Legal Contact

Legal contact in soccer is nominally described as being “shoulder to shoulder” between two opponents, as one player comes into the other, or challenges for the ball. The most common instance of this is two players running side-by-side, usually as they both pursue a moving ball in front of them. Shoulder-to-shoulder contact may also occur with opponents facing one another, such as in a front block tackle, or from behind, such as when one player screens the ball from an opponent. Each of these examples, when performed properly, represents a “fair charge” or a “fair challenge” in soccer. Former wording of the FIFA Interpretations stated that, “the act of charging is a challenge for space using physical contact [emphasis added] within playing distance of the ball without using arms or elbows.”

The expectation during the performance of a fair charge is that both players will have at least one foot on the ground and that excessive force will not be used. In other words, the player making the challenge cannot just slam into an opponent who is in mid-air or barrel into him at high speed, even if the contact is shoulder to shoulder. A fair charge can result in a player being put to the ground, however, if one player loses his balance, timing catches an opponent on the “wrong foot” at the moment contact is made, or if another player is simply bigger or stronger. The mere fact that contact has occurred and a player winds up on the ground does not make the contact illegal. A fair challenge or fair tackle generally involves a defender cleanly contacting the ball first and not the opponent, when trying to take the ball away. A fair challenge or tackle may also result in the offensive player going to the ground, essentially tripping over the stopped ball.

25. wguynes

wguynes Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    To a coach, "challenge" often means "slide tackle". This coach is interpreting that you can now slide tackle from behind if the opponent is headed to the corner.