Best & Rivelino vs. Ronaldinho

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Perú FC, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    #26 Perú FC, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
    Those results belong to the South American Player of the Year award given by the Venezuelan newspaper El Mundo. I think there must be many irregularities and surely I disagree with several results but I find very difficult for a possible top 40 of all-time is barely mentioned only 3 times in an annual top 5 just only in South America during his prime and has never been won.

I mean that while he didn't get great titles at early 70's and that surely affected him, to be considered as high maybe should have caused a stronger impact and have become more popular in the votes (just a theory).

Bochini is also a sensitive absent, but, to be honest, he's not usually as highly ranked as Rivelino.

2. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    #27 Dearman, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    I have created a method to issue legends’ abnormal status in their career but still not sure about how long of span. If I stipulate at 8, Ronaldinho would be marked as abnormality for his failure in 2007 – 2008 season but George Best would seemingly survive. Note that just a few legends in top 50 would have abnormal status so I think it might help us to also deduct point of players and make easier in the ranking arrangement.

Abnormality Status

Domestic : Stipulate the best span of players in consecutive eight seasons. Absence by Injury is excluded and irregular seasons will be calculated based on proportion of appearances. If any seasons, players performed below international-class without trouble body condition, they’re marked as abnormal status.

International : Any tournament players performed below international-class, they’re marked as abnormal status.

3. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    Oh I see.
    Just thought why your list is too similar to the awards.

4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Based on Placar 2010 survey for TOP40 (1970 - 2010) so Pele Tostao Didi Garrincha Zizinho ... were not included ..

1- Ronaldo
    2- Zico ( actually ronaldo = Zico, but Placar gave it to Ronaldo)
    3- Falcao
    4- Romario
    5- Careca
    6- Kaka (?)
    7- RIVELINO
    8- RONALDINHO
    9- Junior
    10 Reinaldo
    11 RIVALDO
    12 Cerezo
    13 Muller
    14 Rai
    15 Cafu ..
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Perú FC repped this.
  5. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Any of the players named could had replace Rivelino in his false winger role (speed, dribbling, technique and tactical skill were needed).
    Only Edu was a real winger, but being 3 times in Brazilian roster, he wasn't able to make the starting XI in any of them.

Pipiolo and JamesBH11 repped this.
  6. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #31 JamesBH11, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    yes kinda of .. as "false winger" ... OK

Rivelino was always a CAM/Playmaker as his best position (of which not ANY could replace him in his time but Pele in late 60's or Zico of late 70's)

7. Louis Soccer

Louis Soccer Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Apr 17, 2017
    1. Ronaldinho, 2. George Best, 3. Rivelino
    They were 3 great players, but Ronaldinho reached a higher peak.
    Ronaldinho is at the level of Platini, Zidane or Zico.
    George Best, a step below with Baggio, Van Basten or Neymar
    Rivelino, on the level of Kaka, Francescoli or Riquleme.

8. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #33 carlito86, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020

George best had superior raw stats for a mid table and relegation threatened Manchester United then ronaldinho had for Barcelona
    Most likely talking considerably less penalties also

I think also he has more world class seasons

In dribbling
    Tight space requiring close control or open space requiring athleticism best was vastly superior to ronaldinho

He was generally a more aggressive and direct player
    Demonstrably superior in the air
    Better also at creating his own goalscoring opportunities
    Finishing in the box

Ronaldinho was(much) more of a teamplayer
    Providing more goalscoring opportunities for others(assists Maybe too although there is no data to substantiate this)
    Better at freekicks/penalties

I don't think Brazil 58-70 would've experienced less success with george best then they did with garrincha

Can you imagine George best with garrinchas NT trophy cabinet
    He'd possibly be a lock top 3 all timer instead of ranging anywhere from 6-30 depending on whom you ask

Maybe slightly controversial but I don't think George bests club career was inferior to Maradona

@Perú FC how did you place zinedine zidane in the same equation as this MONSTER

9. Diez

Diez Member

Universitario
    Peru
    Oct 26, 2019
    I think Rivelino's highest assessment of Ronaldinho has to do with his performances in the World Cups. It seems to me that this can generate a somewhat distorted idea because it is only a few brief moments in their long careers.

About Best, it seems to me the most sublime that I have seen in Europe, only for talent ahead of Puskás, Platini, Beckenbauer but it is clear that he made an unproductive career.

I would put Best and Ronaldinho on the same level, Rivelino behind although he could get closer to them after having achieved a longer career.

On the resistance against Ronaldinho, beyond his lack of consistency against the greatest players in history, I would say that the main reason must be for the unfulfilled expectations in the World Cups, especially in 2006 where everyone expected that performance, that turns players into legends.

10. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018

11. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Yes, no single player in history was VASTLY superior to Ronaldinho as a dribbler surely.

Tropeiro repped this.
  12. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #37 carlito86, Mar 27, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Lionel messi was VASTLY superior

Remind me a time ever when ronaldinho gaucho successfully took on 5 players
    Professional players from a top 5 major league

Off the top of my head I can recall 10 such examples of Messi

Also Ronaldinho never merged elite end product(20 gls+20 ass) with all time dribbling
    He was not that prolific at taking on players in 2005/06 partly because his physical condition had begun to deteriorate
    And mainly due to the fact that he was never as adept as Messi at dribbling in tight spaces

Of course Ronaldinho has his marquee dribbling performances vs Milan,Madrid etc

But game to game especially at league level prime 2005/06 Ronaldinho wasn't consistently taking on and beating multiple players
    Check for yourself

Messi averaged almost 5 dribbles per match(as a final 3rd dribbler) simultaneously whilst scoring 73 goals in a single season
    His ability in tight spaces was freakish and so was his consistency with it

Even if you merged the best technical and physical qualities of ronaldinho and Ronaldo de lima you still wouldn't get a dribbler as freakish as Messi

Freakish

The moves are so "simple" but he just beat 3 players with 2 touches of the ball

is there a player more visually impressive then messi?
    This beats any elastico or elaborate piece of skill performed by R10,R9,R7,R11 or even Neymar

In answer to your question Lionel Messi in his physical prime was a vastly superior player to ronaldinho
    As a dribbler
    As a finisher
    As a final 3rd passer

13. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    #38 Tropeiro, Mar 27, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Exactly.
    Carlitos has no idea what he's talking about. Forgive him. He is mostly a troll (with anti-Brazil tendencies) with no real knowledge about data, history or statistics.

14. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    Messi is not visually impressive in terms of dribbling, it is kind boring most of times to be honest with very few variation, his dribbling style with small feints works because he got excellent acceleration, agility and very low center of gravity which also helps his ball control, but he is a very small guy. Messi is quicker.

Ronaldinho at his 5'11 (1.81m) used much more skills, variety, ball control (in the air too) and creativity to dribble past other players. Nobody was vastly superior than peak Ronaldinho in terms of dribbling, first touch, ball control, vision, criativity, passing... he was elite/tier 1 in all these aspects, you could argue marginally if you want.

In 2005/6 it was his last season of his peak dribbling and that was when he completed 10 dribbles in one Champions League final, probably 5 or 6 dribbles per 90 in La Liga. He was a attacking midfielder not a forward like Messi was since his early days. His position is more similar to Neymar in 18/19 and 19/20 at PSG. Of course La Liga in his day was much more balanced and tougher than in 10's time, La Liga suffered a tactics revolution with Guardiola, with more money and better scout.

Edhardy repped this.
  15. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    @carlito86 he is a superior player, that isn't disputed, you're preaching to the choir. But hyperbole isn't necessary. We did get glimpses of them together (Ronaldinho's prime and initial decline period together with pre-prime Messi, though his dribbling was already as good as it will ever be) and there just isn't a vastness in ability. Such chasms don't exist at the top. If Messi is the best dribbler of the 21st century, Ronaldinho has a solid claim as the 2nd best of this time period.