Best Rev Free Kick ever [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by dncm, May 26, 2007.

1. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    One Khano Smith... there's only one Khano Smith (thank god)

2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. thecastigador

thecastigador Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Boston (JP)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahahahaha

4. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So that's what Lalas meant when he said his view of a galaxy has blue in it......

5. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

I think the accuracy was excellent. He was aiming for the ballboy, who was flipping him off. ;)

We need a bloopers reel this season. Heck, just give me an mls bloopers reel, and I'll be happy. There's so many on the web made for other leagues, and if we're really '2nd Class Football', shouldn't we have plenty of hilarities on tape???

6. Tony Biscaia

Tony Biscaia Member

Feb 17, 1999
    Best Rev Free Kick ever? I'd say the one with Naveda on the cover. But, it still wasn't half a tenth as good as the worst POCM issue, if there was ever such a thing.

7. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston

Tony, you are about 40 posts late. ;)

8. the stranger

the stranger New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    I wouldn't be surprised. The ballkids seem to be the Revs worst enemy sometimes

9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brad Feldman made a snippy comment about the ball kids during added time of the loss to KC. He sais something like "...now they can't even get a ball when playing at home" for a Revs throw-in, and the kid didn't give up the ball very quickly or wanted the player to chase down a ball.

I'm not saying that the kids should delay supplying the ball if it was the visiting team in that situation, but they should at least do everything they can to help the home team.

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would help if they were told what to do. It seems like half the time they seem to be staring up at the stands trying to wave to friends and family.

11. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    There is suppossed to be a minimum age of 12 to be able to be a ball-person, but I know that they are pretty leniant with that.

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I just watched that part of the recording last night. The context was that Lalas and Feldman were having a very amateurish "argument" over whether the Revs were getting fair treatment from the ref. It was pretty clear in the 2nd half that KC was doing persistent fouling with no action by the ref. There were a couple of plays that were pretty close to no-brainer yellows that brought no action (SJ cutting across the top of the 18 getting ready to wind up for an open shot, is clipped on the ankle with no shot at the ball; Wells Thompson turns the corner at the end line heading toward the penalty area and the defender grabs the shirt, fully stretched out). On the ensuing kick, Feldman is whining about how the ref isn't even giving them the full 10 yards for the wall (probably 9!). Lalas argues that of course it's 10.

The ball goes over to the left and is booted up into the crowd, the Revs want a quick throw-in. At that point, I think the ball boy doesn't have a ball to give and Feldman makes the remark about how they can't even get help from the ball boy at home. A ball arrives in 3-4 seconds and play resumes.

13. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there was a play where the ballboy was dribbling the ball (like a basketball) behind the goal and not paying attention to the game. they were screaming for the ball and he wasn't even looking at them. after he finally heard them he was switched out immediatley with the person that was immediately behind the goal (just a ball retriever). not sure when it happened but i distinctly remember it.

14. bstorm83

bstorm83 New Member

May 27, 2007
    Chicopee
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes i was there for that. It happened right in front of me. I believe that happened right after the bad kick tho

15. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not trying to rag onthe ball kids or anything, but they should make sure that the kids they pick are ones who really, really want to be there, and not some random lottery where today it's Kyle from Marshfield's turn.

I mean, it isn't as if there aren't kids in the area who love the game, play the game and would be wide-eyed with excitement with just the thought of being that close to a real professional game.

And of course, any kid who is even a remotely serious player knows that when time is ticking away in added time, the players need to get a ball in their hands as quickly as possible.

My guess is that little or no effort goes into screening the kids who do this, nor to training them how to do it. Rule number 1: Pay attention to the game. There are no other rules.

17. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    See my post above - the ball boy/girl is used as incentives to the youth organizations. Buy so many tickets and you get to have a ball boy/girl, etc. That's the screening process.

Remember the old days when it was clear that if the ball stayed inside the sign boards, the ball kids were instructed NOT to give the players a ball. I can remember when a ball stayed inside the sign boards but rolled way down from where the ball went out and a player looked to a ball kid who was standing right there for the ball. And the kid wouldn't give the player the ball...even after repeated gestures from the player. Finally some other ballboy threw his ball to the player.

And to get this back on topic, we will never see Khano take any free kick within 25 yards of goal for the Revs again.

18. Naveda10

Naveda10 New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Oh man, as soon as I saw that ball take flight, I couldn't even muster a giggle for like 3 seconds because I was in absolute disbelief of what I just saw. It was like a surreal dream, really. But once I returned to reality, I laughed, and laughed hard. High comedy.

Not to switch gears...but how bad are things getting when people complain about the ballkids? I mean, for real, does Feldman have to go out of his way to call out kids - children, for God's sake! - on live TV? That's bush league, man. You'll never hear Tommy Heinson publicly complain about Celtics ballkids on FSNE, or Don Orsillo rag on the ballgirls at Fenway Park while doing a Sox game on NESN.

There's a time and place for it...and during a TV broadcast is certainly neither the time nor place.

19. thecastigador

thecastigador Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Boston (JP)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ball attendants at Fenway have been ripped on quite a bit in the past. Sean McDonough used to do it all the time.

20. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    probably because when they screw up they effect a fair ball thinking it was foul. those usually make the ESPN top 10.

21. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    A few years ago, during injury time, someone (Kamler maybe) hit a corner that I think ended up in the stands.

That's the worst Revs free kick I've ever seen.

22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    If anyone who's ever muffed a free kick never took another, ...

We've seen some godawful kicks by almost everyone on the team at one point or another.
    It was sarcasm, a JOKE.

23. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Sure, not every free kick taken is perfect - but none are even in the same universe as that one by Khano.

He will not be taking anymore free kicks near goal.

24. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey still has yet to take a PK since DC his rookie year, right???

25. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Lalas said that free kick "made him a YouTube star of sorts" and boy was he right, up to 35,000+ views on that video already:eek:

Had blogs from Norway, England, the US etc linking to it, was in the top 100 for sports last week, still in for this week, was up to #11 in the daily viewed at one point last week, this is by far my most popular YouTube video....thank you Khano:)