Best Players of 2016/17 seasons so far.....

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by AD78, Feb 24, 2017.

1. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Best Defender of the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League season: Sergio Ramos
    Best Midfielder of the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League season: Luka Modrić
    Best Forward of the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League season: Cristiano Ronaldo
    UEFA Men's Player of the Year: Cristiano Ronaldo

2. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    why leave out best goalkeeper?

I agree with all except Ramos.

3. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Because I think Navas was better :)

4. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Blasphemy lol

5. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Top ten on the main UEFA award:

1 Cristiano Ronaldo Real Madrid
    2 Lionel Messi Barcelona
    3 Gianluigi Buffon Juventus
    4 Luka Modrić Real Madrid
    5 Toni Kroos Real Madrid
    6 Paulo Dybala Juventus
    7 Sergio Ramos Real Madrid
    8 Kylian Mbappé Monaco
    9 Robert Lewandowski Bayern Munich
    10 Zlatan Ibrahimović Manchester United

Personally I was very glad to see Zlatan in there, also Lewandwski in the top ten and Modric and Kroos in good positions, surprised both in top five but both made my top ten.

6. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    How was Lewandowski better than Thiago or Robben? In the league and the hardest games in the UCL? (Arsenal, Real Madrid)

7. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I never said he was just glad to see him up there, however Thiago tailed off a lot in my view over later stages of season. Robben was good but not great, a bit of Duct bias maybe ;)

8. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    This is nonsense. He was quite arguably their best player in the games against Real Madrid, he was by a margin of 0.2 the best rated in the league and also the only player to receive a world class rating. Furthermore, he was top five in the WhoScored algorithm (for all top five leagues).

It is rather that there is a massive anti Dutch bias among the marketeers, corporate media and football officials following the masses and lemmings, with forces aligning to bring the money costing overperformers down. Plenty examples around.

Also Thiago was more or less at the level of Lewandowski, especially in the more difficult games.

Sexy Beast repped this.
  9. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Dybala top 10? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Not even top 3 at Juve.

10. DFTB24

DFTB24 Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Your original post was perfectly clear, you suggest Hazard should be on the list, I know you do not mean that he should be number one or even top five. Okay, if you want to go further you must have a complete idea when comparing players in terms of their performances throughout the season you're saying he should be above a lot of players in that list just name one player who should not be as you might think ahead of Eden Hazard and reasons why, then I will explain it in more detail.
    Otherwise, it will remain a random discussion and getting nowhere.

11. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Those topics are usually so biased towards attackers and the best teams that season that i don't see point of them.

@DFTB24, and what are you talking about? Hazard easily walks into top 10 players of the season. He was the best player in the most competitive league in the world, that's more than enough to get top 10. And it's not like Sanchez has done something special outside premier league and he is 4th!! Very incosistent list.
    Btw, where is Isco on your top 25 list? Here is a reminder of how good Isco was:

If Isco didn't perform like that Barcelona is getting double and not Real.
    Thaigo is definitely the best player in bundesliga last season and was the best for Bayern in champions league, BAR NONE. Not to mention that there is no palce for Carvajal in top 10 list. Just because Real won double it doesn't mean that all of his players were necessarly the best.
    You didn't think it through hard enough, that's one of many reasons why i don't like to make lists like this, you always miss some angle, always.

12. DFTB24

DFTB24 Member

Jul 16, 2014
    You can easily create as many lists as you want, but not yet ;) because the main problem when it influenced by emotions with such a statement "I like that player, dislike the other, I want to choose this one" crap.
    Strangely, you remembering Isco straight after his man-of-the-match winning display against Italy which is supposed to be in season 2017/2018!
    I can see your enthusiasm but you must manage your emotions otherwise it would be an injustice to players who are more deserving, that's the first lesson if you decide to make/discuss any list.

Secondly, it should be based on basis and metrics, like "most importantly" the weight of the matches and the competitions.
    When you remind me about Isco's goals against the team who finished 18th in the Spanish La Liga isnt the same (weight) as putting this kind of quality performance against a terrific squad like Atletico Madrid for example.
    This also applies Hazard vs Carvajal, Hazard has been great to only one major competition (and you want him to be among the top 10), while Carvajal was great in 2 major competitions (who you want outside the top 10), how you came to that conclusion even it's on a wrong track in mathematics, well if Hazard seen as more popular is not good enough reason.
    You do realize there's a difference between the most competitive and the best league in the world.
    So as you can see without any metrics on a consistent basis can become such a mess.

Also, you must have a well knowledge about players this can help you a great deal to know what you are talking about.
    Where is Isco in home games against Atletico, Sevilla and Villarreal?
    Did Isco get his chances enough to perform against Athletic Bilbao at San Mames?
    How many minutes that Isco played in Real Sociedad games?
    "If Isco didn't perform like that" against top sides as I mentioned above "Barcelona is getting double and not Real". Now are you sure?
    In the Champions League he only played five times, one game in the group stage against Sporting then the last four games.
    Better to look up at honorable mention and you will find the answer to your question (See! didn't forget Isco and trying not to miss any angle too :)).
    By the way, Isco also had a great season in 2014/2015 that seem to be overlooked at the time, while now he has raised his game to a different level and getting more attention after two years.
    Why all of Real Madrid players on the list? Well, Real Madrid had a "special" season, they won two major competitions as a complete team. All of Ronaldo, Kroos, Modric, Marcelo, Carvajal, Ramos, Casemiro that actually performed well for a whole season and lately Isco, so all of them deserve their places and recognition. It's not charity to select other players from different clubs for good-looking list! they would have to earn it. Real Madrid were by far the best team last season, end up picking 7 players as the most representative in the list of 30 is quite reasonable.

And yes Sanchez has done something special last season.
    Arsenal's best player and in the league's top five.
    The FA Cup's best player.
    Performed so well in every single game he played in the Champions League except 2nd leg against Bayern (as you know he was left alone and you can't blame him if his team are generally not that competitive).
    In the World Cup qualifying notably against major international team as Chile's best player in the absence of key midfielder Vidal versus Argentina at Buenos Aires, he was brilliant in that game despite the loss and had some dangerous plays as well against Uruguay.
    PLUS a special bonus in the Confederations Cup.
    An extremely valuable asset for both the club & the national team.
    As for Thiago, he had a similar case with Robben and Lewandowski at the club, all three were marvelous in Germany and Europe but Robben had the slight edge at both.

Finally, no list is acceptable 100% even with criteria (everyone has a different view), just give it your best shot which is about as good as it gets. :thumbsup:

13. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Atletico Madrid you say... Okay here is arguably man of the match perfomance vs Atleti:

You seriously need to watch this if you think he does it vs weak teams only. It's even more impressive performance if you watch full game, because only then you notice that he was basically only player capable of holding onto possesion in crowded areas.

Here is even statistically the best performance vs Atletico. He was awarded 8.7 by sofascore, while nobody else above 7.9:

Are you seriously nit picking Isco's bad games? He had his lows and highs, just like any other player. By that logic Messi is not top 10 either, where was he vs Atletico Madrid home game la liga, where was he vs PSG away, where was he vs Juventus home game, where was he vs Real first el clasico? And Messi is arguably the most consistent offensive player in history of the game.
    Don't even let me start with Ronaldo's incosistent season,.. and he is the best in your opinion...
    This game of yours can easily make everyone look bad, but the point is that Isco's highs are better than highs of a majority players you put in the list. He had arguably the best performance of season vs Sporting Gijon, one of the best i've seen by a midfielder EVER, regardless of opposition.

And how do you even compare Carvajal to Hazard? serisouly Hazard had, if not the best, then tie best season of his career. In big games as well. While Carvajal seemed good only because Real was good. Btw, if Carvajal, Marcelo, Ramos were all so good, what's up with the fact that Real was only 4th best defense last season in la liga (they weren't even the best offensive team if you are going on the card that they helped offense). You are letting few assists manipulate your list, which is really sad.
    If we talk about football algorithms, Carvajal, last season in la liga, is 16th best player,.. in REAL alone!!!!. Benzema, Danilo, Pepe, James, they are all having better ratings than Carvajal. 15th best in Real last season if we talk about UCL. Very sad.

The case of Carvajal clearly exposes your evaluation skills, that's not an insult, i am telling you it's impossible to make such list, you haven't seen every single game of the season so you end up giving a player place in top 10 based on one assist in UCL final that shouldn't have ended up as an assist because Ronaldo's shot was deflected, if it wasn't it is an easy save for Buffon...

Thiago's case is really easy one, if you actually notice what he has been doing all season long (on offensive and defensive end). And he was the only player vs Real who actually played on the high level. Statisically he was the best in Bayern, visually he was the best in Bayern.

robnycus repped this.
  14. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #139 carlito86, Oct 8, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2020