Best Players of 2016/17 seasons so far.....

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by AD78, Feb 24, 2017.

1. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I started this discussion for the last two seasons about this time, I am interested to read peoples thoughts on this, note this is not who is not about who is going to win awards as that is calendar based and we are talking season here and also sadly many of the awards are now largely a popularity votes, lets concentrate on who have been the best players this season...

2. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Messi ...

ko242 repped this.
  3. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    In the Premier League, Hazard, Sanchez, Kante, Mane, Ibrahimovic, David Luiz, Rose, Alderweireld, Kane, Alli, De Bruyne, Defoe, Pogba, Lallana, Coutinho, Heaton, Moses, Azpilicueta, Costa, Lukaku, Firmino, Herrera, Walker.

ko242 and AD78 repped this.
  4. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What do you guys think of Hazard's form this season? Particularly, Hazard and Sanchez always impress me when in form.

In La Liga, Messi and Modric stand out for me, though I haven't been following La Liga closely this season.

NOTE:

And I'm glad that David Luiz is having a good season with a big team in a big league. He gets a lot of shit for his NT career, but overall, I've seen him play well against good teams a good number of times, so in that sense I'm glad that he's so far has enjoyed a good season (I mean, it's been pretty horrible for him over the past few seasons, which I think was somewhat unlucky).

AD78 and ko242 repped this.
  5. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Totally agree re Hazard and Sanchez, I believe they are (just like two seasons ago) the best two players in the PL, next I would throw in Costa and probably Mane and also Kante who sometimes is unbelievable re ground covered and tackles, interceptions made. Zlatan has been good and I am a big fan, but I have seen a far few average games and missed chances to put him with the top two, still 3-4 months left though.

Agree re Messi in Spain but also I have not been following La Liga that much, I have much more Serie A and impressed with Higuain this season at Juve and Dzeko has been great for Roma. I have also watched a bit more Ligue 1 this season and Cavani has had his best season in France by a mile.

leadleader and ko242 repped this.
  6. jefflebowski16

Feb 9, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 jefflebowski16, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Dembele
    Aubemeyang
    Falcao
    Weigl
    Lewandowski
    Forsberg
    Rabiot
    Mertens

7. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    La Liga

Ronaldo - Griezmann - Messi
    Modric - N'Zonzi - Kroos
    Marcelo - Ramos - Pique - Carvajal
    Rulli

Premier League

Hazard - Costa - Mane
    Pogba - Kante - Lallana
    Rose - Alderweireld - Luiz - Valencia
    De Gea

Serie A

Dybala - Higuain - Dzeko
    Pjanic - Nainggolan - Mertens
    Sandro - Bonucci - Rugani - Hysaj
    Buffon

comme and jefflebowski16 repped this.
  8. jefflebowski16

Feb 9, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good lineups. Surprised to see Pogba and Lallana in your Prem midfield. Who else did you consider for those spots?

9. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I take it all back, add Zlatan in there !!!!!!!! Big game, big performance.

10. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    The formation Conte's using really suits him (or should it be he really suits the formation?), much more than a back four does.

11. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Mostly agree, but I wouldn't include Heaton (he faces a lot of attempts, but most saves are those you would expect a keeper to make).

I would add Valencia and Gueye as well. Possibly Antonio. Van Dijk before his injury maybe.

12. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Dele Alli
    De Bruyne

Well that's about it. For all the criticism Pogba has received he's been of the best mids this year. Lallana's having the season of his life

13. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think maybe Eriksen and Silva have shown signs that by the end of the season they could be in the mix, with a continued run of top form between now and then. Maybe that's the category I'd think of Pogba as being fairly placed in too though actually.

comme repped this.
  14. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think although he did well a couple of season ago too obviously, it really suits Hazard too (and likewise to mention him again Eriksen at Tottenham similarly I think). It's probably not as simple as this, but this season does seem sort of proof that sometimes a formation(/formation change) can win titles. In theory it takes an attacking player out of the line-up, but the extra freedom given to the likes of Hazard seems to make up for that - sometimes we like to speculate on these boards about which modern positions old legends would play in todays game - I think someone like Faas Wilkes would probably thrive in the role/position Hazard has now - in some ways it's not that different to the old inside forward role, except no wingers are on the outside so it's half-way towards wing-forward I suppose and players like Hazard can use the outside at will, while also having the wing-backs (the right sided one not being formerly a defender) getting down the outside. I quite like it with one of the CM's being a playmaker but I think Conte/Pochettino use that idea sparingly.

Not to say it's some super formation everyone should be copying from now on (I think increasingly there will probably be a variety of different systems even it it's hard to invent a good new one nowadays - this one might be new though as a regular top level formation unless my memory is off - it's like a hybrid between a 3-5-2 with one AM and one SS, and a Christmas Tree perhaps), but it's clearly working very well for Chelsea.

15. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Big one not mentioned is Thiago Alcantara. He's been the best player so far this season in the Bundesliga.

AD78 repped this.
  16. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
  17. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I generally agree about Heaton (he makes a lot of saves you would expect) but I do think he has also made a lot you wouldn't. Maybe it is just in certain high profile games (particularly the United game) but whenever I see him (mainly on MOTD) he has been important and very rarely at fault for goals conceded.

I was going to come back and mention Gueye as well. He's like a less good Kante and has been integral to Everton's good form. Van Dijk is an excellent player as well and surely won't be at Saints for much longer.

18. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    While I agree with some picks as N'Zonzi (has done very well at Sevilla, meanwhile Krychowiak has gone downhill) I'd say that Suarez is clearly better than Griezmann. Not only many more goals but also more dribbles for example. He's not as energetic as he once was but still a better player.

The third spot is a toss up between Ronaldo and Neymar in my view. Ronaldo has more goals, Neymar is overall the better footballer and has done well when the other two FCB forwards were missing or not performing well (which is in 50% of the stronger matches the case).

I also tend to think Alexis has to be in for either Lallana or Mane. I've watched EPL the most, also because I feel/think the refereeing has been of a higher level as in either Serie A or Primera Division.

19. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes, I do think Alexis Sanchez has to be in really (well nobody has to select any particular player in an XI, but I mean I think he's an obvious choice, almost as much as Hazard still....even if he seems to becoming unsettled and even losing focus as a result now).

20. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's always been quite inexplicable to me, how Barcelona got rid of Thiago Alcantara more or less at the same time that Xavi looked well past his best (and therefore closer to retirement), that Fabregas was sold, etc.

21. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    actually. i don't think it's barcelona that got rid of him, it's that Thiago wanted to be a regular stater.

i remember thiago stating, ''i want to be a winner, i don't care if it's at barcelona or another club'' or something of the like. at that point he was not playing consistently and with guardiola at bayern munich, i think he could see a more brighter immediate start given that no player like xavi or inesta were in the mix, who both have very similar capabilities to thiago at a higher level (at that point in time)

22. victorcalello38

Feb 28, 2017
    Club:
    Montevideo Wanderers FC
    01. LIONEL MESSI (FC Barcelona)
    02. ROBERT LEWANDOWSKI (Bayern Múnchen)
    03. LUIS SUÁREZ (FC Barcelona)
    04. EDEN HAZARD (Chelsea FC)
    05. GONZALO HIGUAIN (Juventus)

23. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Obviously Neymar bolstered his case midweek against PSG
    https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...eague-2016-2017-Barcelona-Paris-Saint-Germain
    https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...aris-Saint-Germain#live-player-home-offensive

As an intriguing perspective, it is worthwhile to share this piece
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...lona-barca-went-mes-que-un-club-just-another/

Or a similar 'devils advocate' column in the largest quality paper of 'my' country.

24. holto

holto New Member

Mar 11, 2017
    Club:
    --other--
    No love for Harold (3-season-wonder) Kane? I find him difficult to love myself sometimes, what with his antique haircut, gormless gaping mouth expression, and he's a bit greedy. But i can't argue with his stats which suggest he's one of the best strikers in European leagues yet again.