Best Players in Collegiate Soccer (2016 Edition)

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by WWC_Movement, Aug 20, 2016.

1. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Here is the current list for the "University Movement Squad".
    The top 25 players in college soccer today, on pure talent alone (this list does not factor in experience).

UNIVERSITY MOVEMENT SQUAD (Top 25)
    1.) Kadeisha Buchanan (West Virginia)
    2.) Morgan Andrews (USC)
    3.) Rose Lavelle (Wisconsin)
    4.) Taylor Racioppi (Duke)
    5.) Savannah Jordan (Florida)
    6.) Andi Sullivan (Stanford)
    7.) Arielle Ship (Cal)
    8.) Megan Connolly (Florida State)
    9.) Emily Ogle (Penn State)
    10.) Jane Campbell (Stanford)
    11.) Ashley Hatch (BYU)
    12.) Emma Jett (Texas)
    13.) Ashley Lawrence (West Virginia)
    14.) Rebecca Quinn (Duke)
    15.) Maddie Bauer (Stanford)
    16.) Christina Gibbons (Duke)
    17.) Rachel Hill (UCONN)
    18.) Mikaela Harvey (Texas A&M)
    19.) Devon Kerr (Ohio State)
    20.) Toni Payne (Duke)
    21.) Casey Ramsier (Auburn)
    22.) Murielle Tiernan (Virginia Tech)
    23.) Rachel Corboz (Georgetown)
    24.) Jorian Baucom (LSU)
    25.) Hannah Wilkinson (Tennessee)

*Mallory Pugh would be #1 if she were playing this season

The USWNT could use these players on their 2019 WWC roster:

F - Savannah Jordan, Arielle Ship, Ashley Hatch
    MF - Morgan Andrews, Rose Lavelle, Taylor Racioppi, Andi Sullivan, Emily Ogle, Toni Payne
    D - Emma Jett, Maddie Bauer
    GK - Jane Campbell, Devon Kerr

2. Michael Gibson

Dec 23, 2014
    I think Ginny McGowan and Jennifer Westendorf of Notre Dame will one day belong near the top of the list. McGowan is already looking as solid as Roccaro and Naughton. Westendorf had two goals in her first collegiate game.

As for the current list, no Savannah McCaskill from South Carolina? I know the SEC doesn't get a lot of respect, but she is really solid.

3. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    S. Jordan does not have enough pace and athleticism, IMO, to play for the national team. There is no denying
    her poaching ability, however, as she has scored more than 50 goals in her collegiate career, I think.

4. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    50 goals?
    You are selling her way short.
    She basically had that by the end of her sophomore season.
    She has 65 goals through her first three seasons (22 as a freshman, 19 as a sophomore, 24 as a junior).
    65 goals in her 71 matches, during her first three seasons. Now that is consistency.

And she already scored one goal and 3 assists in Florida's first match of this season against Iowa State.
    Only one other player did that in the entire nation in their opener this year (Taylor Racioppi of Duke).

http://floridagators.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9740&path=soccer

http://floridagators.com/boxscore.aspx?path=soccer&id=11667

And Jordan definitely has pace.
    She's not as fast as Mallory Pugh, Sydney Leroux, or Alex Morgan, but she's faster than Christen Press.
    She's more powerful than Pugh, Leroux, or Morgan.

go T repped this.
  5. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Hey, all credit to Jordan. She has had an absolutely amazing career. I've seen her play and she has never wowed me with her physical skills or athletic prowess--but she gets great service from her teammates and knows how to put the ball in the net, and that is the name of the game. Has she ever had a tryout with the national team?

6. orange crusader

May 2, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Not with the full team as far as I know. She played with the U-23's in the Nordic Tournament this summer.

7. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    ESPN3 is a great resource for watching these games. Recently, I watched the ND- Wisconsin game. I was specifically watching Rose Lavelle. I really liked her a couple years ago in the U20 wc but thought she was playing too far back as an 8 or even 6 behind first Pugh (unsuccessful as a 10 and moved out wide after the first game) and then Horan. However, she looks very slight and didn't have as much impact as I would have thought out there in the college game. She clearly has excellent quickness, agility, technique, and vision (soccer IQ).

However I thought she was not moving enough or with enough effectiveness without the ball and wasn't pressuring/challenging enough on defense as the "10 in the hole". She had several dangerous forays into the attacking third, one at least resulting in a near miss shot, but really wasn't terribly impactful. Some of it may have been her team's having trouble finding her, or trouble making a run for Rose to play a final ball in, but I really thought she could have done more to make herself available and to disturb ND shape. Her relatively conservative play, may be related to college soccer's crazy schedule and trying to prevent overuse and another injury. I haven't seen her play internationally recently. Does anyone have any additional insight? maybe I just saw an off game. The commentators clearly loved her, and she had some impressive moments, but I have to say I was a little surprised. maybe Wisconsin is just a weak team and she doesn't have enough support. Would be interested in any else's opinion. Will be watching the rest of the season when I can.

8. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Rose Lavelle is a future star

9. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    That video is mostly fluff and repetition of a few highlights. make no mistake, I am a fan after seeing her with the u20s, but was not as impressed with her performance against ND. I am going to try and watch some more games, but wondered if anyone had any more insight (I did not find your comment particularly helpful).

10. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Have to say, you always do elicit debate with your posts which is always good.

I am curious that you forgot Kailen Sheridan who is the senior keeper for Clemson Tigers and is the prime reason why the Tigers have made such a massive improvement and climbed the rankings and gotten into the ACC playoffs and NCAA tournament. She is head and shoulders better then any goal keeper in the ACC yet you have Jane Campbell on your list but not Kailen. If you watch any of the Clemson games, much of their offense and defense revolves around Sheridan. She frequently sets the attack because she has the ability to punt 60 yard kicks down the field so quite frequently when the Tigers get the ball, they pass back to Sheridan and then she punts the ball forward allowing a quick transition on the counter. On defense, they use her as a 3rd defender, she will sit outside the box with the ball and try to draw an attacker to her so she can then create an odd man situation for the Tigers when they counter.

She is the prototypical goal keeper that you want in the modern era of football. Quick, fast, able to cover her box. Quick feet so she can play the ball outside the box. Booming kicks that allow her team to go on the counter right away. Strong reflexes and ability to make reflex saves. And her air control is top notch.

Its very hard to put true freshman and rank them accordingly. Even though Mallory Pugh is a very good player, she is only 18. She hasn't learnt everything yet, to say she will be at the top is hard to say especially when you have Kadeisha Buchanan playing who is a senior, has played in World Cups, Olympics and is a stud of a defender. And Pugh is more then likely going pro from the look of things.

Opinions aside, I do agree if Mallory were playing this year in College, she would be one of the top players in the nation.

As for those players making it into the World Cup roster for 2019. I don't see it happening even though I would like to see more players break it into the Senior team. I think there is a case, that almost every player on the Olympic roster will be back in 3 years time for the World Cup. Even though some of them will be on the wrong side of 30 and most of them will be in their 30's. I just don't see any attempt to move the veterans out and bring in new blood.

But you can always hope.

11. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    She has as much technical skill out of any USWNT midfield prospect in America right now.
    Let's not expect her to look dominant.
    She's more of a finesse player that is a connecting piece.
    Morgan Andrews is the more dominant midfielder that can take games over and carry her team on her back.
    Lavelle is also equally needed, because she is that connector that intertwines all levels in unison on the pitch.