Best player in the last 3 World Cups?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Bavarian14, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Bavarian14

Bavarian14 Member

Bayern München
    Jun 1, 2017
    His long passes are one of the best I've ever seen. Even better than Messi in this aspect

carlito86 repped this.
  2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #27 PDG1978, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    I did think I should come back and clarify this, as my last contribution, though. Having been too lazy to calculate things yesterday I'll do that now for mentioned players.

Only the Final is missing from that list, but I don't see a page for reader ratings for that game so will do a slight mish mash effort and use the Guardian's own ratings. As you can see it wasn't true either that Iniesta was two points ahead of any other Spaniard, but he was two ahead of Xavi according to them. Stekelenburg also getting a 7, and Robben too while Sneijder had the same as Xavi on 6 (even though the highlights will show of course Sneijder providing Robben with the great chance rather than vice versa - I think it's true that Robben was more active and dangerous overall in the game isn't it - France Football even went two points in Robben's favour with a 7 compared to a 5):
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jul/11/world-cup-final-player-ratings

It's even more of a stretch to incorporate but fair enough I think to use this verdict of 8 out of 10 and a MOTM award for Forlan in the 3rd place game:
    https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/289...010-uruguay-2-3-germany-mueller-forlan-hot-up
    The link doesn't show the full ratings now though, so I can't add anything for German players*

Forlan - 7.73 over 7 games (as the Goal.com ratings didn't put a German ahead of his 8, and perhaps not level with him for the 3rd place game he'd be top using these 'multi-source' game-by-game calculations)
    Robben - 7.65 over 5 games (including a late sub appearance vs Cameroon - handed 7.97 on average for that one by the readers)
    Muller* - 7.6 over 5 games
    Schweinsteiger* - 7.6 over 6 games
    Ozil* - 7.58 over 6 games
    Messi - 7.31 over 5 games
    Villa - 7.24 over 7 games
    Iniesta - 7.23 over 6 games
    Sneijder - 7.09 over 7 games
    Xavi - 6.82 over 7 games

So to be fair to Carlito Iniesta doesn't compare hugely well (although over 7 is still good even for mainly reader ratings), and to be fair to me lol neither does Xavi (even averaging under 7), but to be fair to both players they were still key reasons why Spain were the best team and champions ultimately (personally anyway I'd feel the defence might owe them more regarding the goals against record, than they would owe the defence for the wins, but I guess it'd be debateable - Spain were famously hard to get the ball off and sustain periods of attacks against anyway of course).

carlito86 repped this.
  3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I do think perhaps reader-based average ratings can go a bit extreme when evaluating 'disappointing' performances and also games teams disappointingly lost. For example Spaniards against Switzerland, and although I felt at the time (and still since to an extent) Messi wasn't very good against Germany that's another example of a particularly low average rating on that list that drags his overall score down.

Maybe hyping great and impressively good performances happens too eg the Schweinsteiger game vs Argentina (but I do remember it being an excellent performance by him - I just guess he got a lot of 10 out of 10 verdicts from voters to average over 9).

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    He didn't carry them at all. No chance they get past Korea or Ghana without Suarez' contributions. Plus Uruguay 's defense was strong up to the semis.

5. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I am pretty sure it was Forlan who scored that free kick to tie the game against Ghana in . Suarez' handball on the line is not something to be giving credit for..

carlito86 repped this.
  6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'm not giving Suarez credit, but fact is they would've lost without it. [I'm responding to you saying "Forlan carried them to the semis" ]

Taking a broader look, Suarez had at least as big of an output as Forlan in the tournament (despite playing 2 fewer matches, both of which were losses).
    Suarez: 3 goals, 2 assists and a red card drawn.
    Forlan 5 goals 1 assist, incl 1 PK goal (which was created by Suarez) and one goal in the 3rd-place match (which is a glorified friendly).

3 goals + a PK is not the definition of carrying a team. Yes, the goals were spectacular which is partly why his performance is overrated, not underrated. Heck, it was so overrated he was still a Ballon d'Or finalist in 2011. :ROFLMAO:

7. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    One thing Robben does have is that he played on average against 'hard' opponents (in which he registered the most dribbles since 1966 for an European etc.).

Was in 2006 in the 'group of death' or at least in one of the two strongest groups. The combined Italian sources rated him high.

In 2010 he missed the group stage (bar a great sub appearance against Cameroon) because of injury. But was present and good in the harder KO stages (Brazil, Uruguay, Spain in which FF etc. rated him well). It was one of the easier group stages his country have had but Robben missed it, simple as that.

In 2014 once again in a 'group of death'. Was fouled endlessly by the Costa Ricans, something which the corrupt crooks of FIFA visibly celebrated. On top of this great and decisive performances against Spain, Australia, Chile, Mexico and Brazil. Created the most 'clear cut chances' in the tournament.

I do think (this is a reply to @PDG1978) Sneijder was overall 'better' and more influential than Robben in 2008, 2010 and 2012. Robben was better in 2006 and 2014.

Hazard was in 2018 great against pretty much all the teams that mattered and played against, I agree. Only some goals or assists were lacking, maybe.

8. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Wasn’t it 5 goals for Forlan ?
    I remember he was tied with Sneider and Villa and Muller for the golden boot as well but Muller won it for having more assists.

9. Bavarian14

Bavarian14 Member

Bayern München
    Jun 1, 2017
    Might've been a bit exaggeration in there. Messi has improved a lot ever since

10. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    James had a great WC in 2014 and he had that memorable goal but I would put him 3rd in that WC behind Messi and Robben.