Best goalscoring season in an English top division since the 1960s

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by AD78, Dec 27, 2017.

1. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    English media are absolutely hammering the Harry Kane goalscoring achievements of the 2017 and it got me thinking how many will he score in the 2017-18 season, and will he break 40 for all competitions which is pretty rare in English football with Ronaldo the last. I then checked out how many other players had done that in the last 50 years and there were very few, namely below, I put some other players I thought might have had but fell just feel just short....

PLAYER SEASON GOALS
    Allen 86-87 49
    Rush 83-84 47
    Law 63-64 46
    Greaves 62-63 44
    Chivers 71-72 44
    Van Nistelrooy 02-03 44
    Greaves 60-61 43
    Ronaldo 07-08 42
    Cole 93-94 41
    Rush 86-87 40
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Law 64-65 39
    Henry 03-04 39
    Lineker 85-86 38
    Greaves 58-59 37
    Shearer 94-95 37
    Shearer 95-96 37
    Drogba 09-10 37
    Van Persie 11-12 37
    Greaves 62-63 36
    Greaves 68-69 36
    Van Nistelrooy 01-02 36
    Fowler 95-96 36
    Greaves 63-64 35
    Lineker 91-92 35
    Kane 16-17 35

PDG1978 repped this.
  2. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Kane's holdup play is quite good as well, at least when he plays with his mates, Eriksen, Alli, and Son.

3. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    One of the two or three best strikers in the world the past three years. He uses his (technical) abilities in the most optimal fashion. His diet has done wonders.

AD78 repped this.
  4. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  5. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Not sure whether it is totally accurate but it appears he's - even with the contract improvement that Harry Kane signed december 2016 - somewhat underpaid

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, the goalkeeper Joe Hart earns more than the forward Kane (but not when including bonuses I suppose?) while the past seven seasons he consistently lets in more goals than reasonably expected.

6. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Tottenham are very low payers compared to the test of the top 6, this table is a perfect example, this is why they lost Walker, will lose Rose amongst others, I think Spurs are relying on Kane's loyalty which won;t last when the he is offered 3 times his current salary and Levy will no doubt gladly take £120m for him I think.

7. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Kane’s deal has a lot of performance related bonuses by all accounts. If you include those he’s meant to be on around £200k a week.

8. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Some informed Spurs fans (fan websites) on twitter claim he has averaged just over 150k including bonuses in the 2017 calendar year, but was thinking yes that with bonuses he would go over the likes of Hart or Fellaini.

Peculiar is that despite a significant pay cut Ibrahimovic still ranks so high. Perhaps/probably it has some strings attached (on games and minutes).

Sturridge as best paid English player according to that table...

Based on performances the past three years (not his peak year perse) I'd say Kane would deserve it to be over Lukaku, Aguero, Ibra, Lacazette and Morata but I suppose it is not that simple.

9. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This could be an interesting season, we are only in mid Feb and Kane, Salah & Aguero are on 33,30 & 29 respectively. I would be surprised of Kane does not hit 40 plus, maybe Aguero given that CIty are still in four competitions but I am not so sure.

10. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

Kane is now on 36 goals. He has 7 more games, or 8 if they reach the FA Cup final, to reach the 40 goals mark. He had a dry spell lately but has the fortune that the light deflection was awarded to him (plenty examples around where that didn't happen). That might kick-start him again and with penalties included he's likely to reach 40 goals. His penalty record is now 21/27 (78% conversion).

The past three seasons the following players have been in the top 20 of WhoScored, in all three seasons (15+ games):
    Kevin De Bruyne, Alexis Sanchez, Harry Kane, Christian Eriksen, Virgil van Dijk.

11. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

Mohammed Salah reached the 40 goals mark yesterday. Remarkable is that it only includes one penalty goal, and he's also scoring/producing against the rest of the 'big six' except Manchester United (for ex. Suarez his weak point in 2013-14).

I saw the FM and pes stats buffs are not fully convinced about his (all-around) qualities, and his flirtation with anti-semitism is lamentable, but he'd be my personal pick for player of the year. He's certainly (??) footballing wise a step ahead of the other high volume scorers (Kane, Aguero, Vardy, Sterling, Firmino, Lukaku).

Of course it is in part a team effort, which is seen with more clarity when one thinks about Suarez his 2013-14 effort.

Liverpool has one of the easiest routes ever to the CL final (Sevilla, Spartak Moscow, Maribor, Porto, ManCity, AS Roma).

AD78 repped this.
  12. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think Kane will just about get there, some of the last few games might be dead rubbers and high scoring games. Not sure how Sanchez is that high, he has been well below par since joining United, fair enough he was probably's Arsenal's best performer when there but still well done on his bets Arsenal seasons.

As for Salah, fantastic season, completely agree Liverpool and easy run, as for the CL though, it is turning into a joke with the favourable treatment Real Madrid get Ramos incident another example. It is like all other teams have to play against Real and UEFA.

13. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #13 PuckVanHeel, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Yes I agree they don't get the best out of Sanchez (there are some more ManUnited players who are below their career best form, Pogba most notably), but that's also reflected in his WhoScored ranking. He is now around 10th (8th to 12th) among players with at least 15 games. In previous seasons he was 2nd, 3rd and 2nd in the ranking. He's below his previous standards.

That said, too much journalism in the so called quality papers is based around "scored 1 goal in his first 10 games". They did the same thing with Thierry Henry and are still doing it.
    Particularly unfair, yes, is in the manner how stat companies pander to these feelings and set narratives, while "losing many balls in league X" applies to many top class forwards. When Neymar and Messi are in top form, nobody loses as many balls as they do - that's an objective reality. Good/great forwards simply lose many balls, at least in this superteam era, and also have one 'poor' touch every game.

Alexis doesn't get and isn't brought to opportunities to score (has only 1.7 shots per game), but still dribbles well (3.8 succesful dribbles per game, with 1.4 failing) and provides through balls (0.4 per game, which is relatively high, the more so given circumstances) as well as creating 'clear-cut chances' (only De Bruyne has more over a full season). I'd say that is among the primary tasks of, explosive, forwards and midfielders. It's not to do nice shimmies in relative open space.

As a bonus, Sanchez also scores high in the various defensive statistics. 2.0 successful tackles per game and 1.1 interceptions is very high in his position, and it wins possessions for your team. That's only a nice extra, one might very well say, but it gets justifiably rewarded in the indexes. He's, also, traditionally among the most fouled attacking players in world football (in quantity).

14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salah has 30 goals. The Premier League record is 34 and the record for a 38 game season is 31. In addition to Salah, Man City is on pace to break the Premier League records for points and goals.

15. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Update, Salah on 43 already with two games to go, Kane one of breaking 40 and hitting the below group with one game left.

Allen 86-87 49
    Rush 83-84 47
    Law 63-64 46
    Van Nistelrooy 02-03 44
    Chivers 71-72 44
    Greaves 62-63 44
    Salah 17-18 43*
    Davies 66-67 43
    Greaves 60-61 43
    Ronaldo 07-08 42
    Cole 93-94 41
    Rush 86-87 40