Best football players of all time

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by stcv1974, Sep 19, 2014.

1. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    again... look close they scored most their goals in Group stage
    also they both had near 600mils team squad (most expensive ever) behind in Barca and Real
    Other teams in UCL are average 150mils team squad ...

lastly then you should also say:
    I wish Messi and CR7 never played in WC or COPA/EURO to prove their stats are FLAWED?

2. stcv1974

stcv1974 Member

Liverpool FC
    Serbia
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #102 stcv1974, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    All right, i don't have time for this anymore, i have better things to do in life. But i have to say that they are leading scorers in knockout stages too.

3. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I second that. I thought you first show up here to "learn or exchange more knowledge in football/players"? But it seems I was wrong!

you're truely smart for such decision- As if you have gut to dig deeper, it only HURTS you with their true stats

4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #104 JamesBH11, Sep 25, 2014
    who you were talking about?
    I am sure no one could have more assists in career like Pele (even Maradona, Di Stefano ... or a Messi with weak Liga)

1- Pele held the most assists in Brazil history 30/92games - I do not recall who could have more than that for their country! or at least in term of 30%

2- Pele 9assist/14games WC = 64% still the most assister in WC history!
    Even the best striker in the world would be please to have 0.64Goals per game in WC career! Please

3- Pele #10 defines how a true number 10 could be or would be.

So even forget about his gaols, his assists are still impressive more than any playmakers in history!

5. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    #105 EdgarAllanPoet, Sep 25, 2014

Wow... You are speaking utter nonsense. There are firms that rank Messi anywhere from 2 to 5 times more marketable than Ronaldo. Messi has the "humble," "good boy", "every man" universal likeability while Ronaldo is polarizing. He is viewed as arrogant, narcissistic, self serving and disingenuine. This forum is a microcosm which sums up the widespread public opinion on Cristiano.

Obviously you have missed Messi's underwear ads? In what world would Messi ever be considered for modeling? Lmao....He routinely has more adverts with more international corporations than Ronaldo and has had commercials in the U.S. for Haynes, Lays, Pepsi, Adidas, E.A., Gatorade, Head and Shoulders and Gillette. I have only seen Ronaldo in Nike ads and those are with an ensemble cast, not featuring him.

Now as for this assists bullsh1t, Barca supporters want Messi scoring 50 goals and scoring in key situations, not deferring to teammates to decide games. He is, regressing by hardly moving and creating chances. How did the knockout rounds of the World Cup work out for Messi? Look at his group stage compared to his knockout rounds...Again, in a game of goals, goals is king. Using Messi as an example, the pinnacle of his career and height of his praise was during and after his 73 goals in a season and 91 in a year, ask any supporter whether they prefer that or him scoring every couple games, barely jogging and creating chances. His passes may be pretty but they are far less useful than him scoring hat tricks, braces and in 8 and 9 games in a row.

3 goals in 6 games now for Barca and they draw Malaga 0-0 without a shot on goal. How can you possibly keep devaluing scoring goals? Ronaldo scores 4, Madrid wins 5-1. Now here is your argument staring you in your face. The results are clear. Go ahead and keep arguing that attempting to create chances is anywhere near as vital as scoring goals. Teams not scoring goals ends in a 0-0 stalemate every time. Messi has declined and lacks that relentless passion to score for a long time now. Barca of course had their first trophyless season in a very long time, Argentina were eeking out wins, now he's scoring at a rate less than half of what he used to and Barca has a game with ZERO shots on goal. Tell me again about his assists? There are literally sh1tloads of players who can play passes all game. How many players in the world can score 55 goals?

hypnotik repped this.
  6. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    #106 EdgarAllanPoet, Sep 25, 2014
    You're so full of sh1t, how can you make such generalized statements? Not every chance created requires some exorbitant skill. Anticipating play and timing runs along with slipping defenders requires more ability than what is often essentially an obvious pass that any decent attacker would make.

Using your easy goal argument, you obviously have no knowledge of Ronaldo's off the ball movements, its not luck nor how great his teammates are that put him in the correct positions.

Anyways, no player in the world scores goals repeatedly in as many varieties as frequently as Ronaldo. Not even close... 30m, headers, opposite foot, free kicks, slashing through defenders, running 70-80 yards on counter attacks...Kid please.

hypnotik repped this.
  7. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #107 JamesBH11, Sep 25, 2014
    While I agree CR7 is a great FW who can score with header, 2 feet, near and far ! But that was a BOLD statement base on ... speculation?

In recent time, I can name one player who could score in all positions, all types : Ibrahimovic.

for example I can say Ibra scored long range 38m freekick, a scorpion kick, a 30m over head kick, and reversed back hell kick that CR7 did not score ...

PLEEEZZZZ .. watch more

stcv1974 repped this.
  8. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    #108 EdgarAllanPoet, Sep 25, 2014
    James, you're embarassing yourself.

Find me any player that scores 10-12 opposite foot goals, 8-9 headers, 5-7 goals from 30 meters and 4-6 free kicks.

EVERY SINGLE YEAR WITHOUT FAIL.

Ibra is the only player I imagine who has the ability but I highly doubt even he scored as many from so many ways EVERY year.

EDIT...

You edited your post, I gave Ibra a shout but he does not score from 30 meters from open play either as often or as spectacularly as Ronaldo, I also don't see him score 5-6 free kicks EVERY year or score 10 or more with his opposite foot.

Either way, there is ONE player who could even begin to compare. Ronaldo is the supreme goal scorer of today and probably decades.

I rest my case.

hypnotik repped this.
  9. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #109 JamesBH11, Sep 25, 2014
    Find me any great strikers who needs more than 7-10 shots to get a goal like CR7 , and consistently every single year LOL

Muller had much more headers, left right - except FK same thing with Ronaldo9 more left shots, a bit less header goals, and less FK (note: those did not have that many chances in FK)

Ibra scored less consistent, but he did score MORE in variety and more difficult goals period.
    LAstly , BOLD statement in "EVERY YEAR" = so embarrass of your claim!

You should have said SINCE CR7 joined the great Real team in WEAK Liga 2009

==========================================
    even if you are right (?) you shoudl wonder why it's so hard for CR7 to REPEAT his great goals scoring in Portugal shirt? just half the number and I do not need more variety

10. el-torero

el-torero Member

Aug 10, 2011
    malaysia
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    one of the "greatest" striker that look almost average in EVERY wc & euro

his name is cristiano ronaldo

i wonder why? heheheheh

11. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    Ronaldo had 8 headers and 6 kicks in 07-08 and 7 headers and 6 free kicks in 08-09. Nice try with the "weak" sh1t again though.

Now about the shots, that is the most useless statistic there is. He takes ill-advised low percentage chances surrounded by defenders. Present the number of his shots in high % areas compared to other players or give it up. He shoots for the sake of shooting sometimes. Quit creating the illusion he's getting insane amounts of great chances.

In a game with 10 shots, 3 of them may have been worth anyone even attempting. But thats just what he does, he gets away with it because he more than anybody can produce a miracle with any of those. I feel he does make a lot of bad decisions when it comes to shooting.

RamyBt, hypnotik and SterNYork repped this.
  12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #112 JamesBH11, Sep 25, 2014
    for your info:
    Klose had 7 header gaols in his 20 games WC only - no need 38 games in weak liga like CR7!

Now if Liga or UCL in this era was so strong (!) then one should expect to see CR7 scored 15goals (or possibly break R9 WC goals record) in 13games (like in liga) = ironically instead he barely made 3GOLS/13 games WOW

About the shots, I agree ... I do not care how many shots CR7 takes in WC, but please try to score 10 or more goals there, can he? or could NOT he?

el-torero repped this.
  13. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    Joint top scorer, Best XI and semi-finalist in '12, Best XI's and finalist in '04.

14. el-torero

el-torero Member

Aug 10, 2011
    malaysia
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    3 goals in 13 wc games is not barely a feat of one of the greatest striker

15. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011

576 games >>>>>>>>13.....sorry.....

16. el-torero

el-torero Member

Aug 10, 2011
    malaysia
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    many goals in 576 games, yet not much award he won

i wonder why? i assume he play with malaga or levante, i guess, ehehheheheh

Pipiolo repped this.
  17. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Please I hope you do not feel I attatck your post!

I just comment the fact and things about football!
    If one should feel embarrased, that should be Messi fans! Messi had a betetr team squad (Argentina) then CR7 with Portugal in WC competition.

Irony: both are compete greatly in Liga with 40-50gaosl seasons , yet both barely made a few goals in WC level!
    Food for thought!

18. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    huh? so you wish Cr7 would reborn every 4 years to participate in 100WC's to make 600 games?m and may be just maybe he would score more than 10goals and win ONE WC?

Did you see Mike Tyson claimed he needs 100+ duels in or der to beat Holyfield? LOL

19. gilmour86

gilmour86 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    I remember many people were trying to explain for Dearman the simple fact that most teams played with their B squads in both Copa América that Ronaldo played and this fact makes his overview innacurate. For European Cup, Romário had 20 goals in 32 games in EC/UCL. Ronaldo had 14 goals in 40 games in UCL, but his record was decent in Uefa Cup and Winners cup indeed.

SterNYork repped this.
  20. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    5 league titles, 2 Champion's League's, 4 League Cups, F.A. Cup, Club World Cup, UEFA Super Cup. 3 league Super Cups.

2 Ballon D'ors, 3 Golden Boots, 3 Champoin's League top Scorer, 2 UEFA Best Player....

Ya he hasn't won sh!t.

hypnotik repped this.
  21. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    wrong ... again
    Romario did also play in COpa and he was less goals scored than Ronaldo there why?
    IN UCL, most of Romario goals were from GROUP stage.

Refer to TOP scorer in BIG games in other thread for yourself:
    Ronaldo was comfortably in TOP5 or higher depends on how one counts. Romario was NOT in TOp10

22. el-torero

el-torero Member

Aug 10, 2011
    malaysia
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #122 el-torero, Sep 25, 2014
    where was he in 2014 cl final?
    oh............ he scored the greatest goal, goal no.4 in the form of penalty kick

where was he in 2014 wc?
    his team barely qualified from group stage

where was he in 2004 euro final?
    his team lose vs one of the greatest team in the form of greece, greece?

23. gilmour86

gilmour86 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    1- Maybe because he was injured for the final game, so he played 1 less game.
    2- He played Round 16 of EC89/90 and scored a hattrick. Then, he was out for the QF against Bayern Munich due to injuries and PSV lost there. He played in the QF in EC88/89 and scored in both games against Real Madrid. In UCL 92/93 the format was basically two big groups and the winner of each group would met in the final. He was the top scorer there, but the entire tournament, with the exception of the final game, was a group stage.

24. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    since you are so good in Romario career ? can you please listed how many goals/games Romario had in UCL KO's stage? or keep it to yourself

Just an old info (as I listed against Greatest striker a while back)
    Ronaldo 16goals/14 all FINAL games - scored 12games/14 bar WC98 sick = > 90%
    Romario 11goals/9 all FINAL games and scored in 6games/9 total = 67%.

However in friendlies or less important games Romario scored more than Ronaldo!

25. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    No James, I think you are an extremely knowledgeable poster. Just a friendly argument. I don't take this too seriously. Just a game.

Ronaldo has little representation here and A LOT of misinformation gets posted about him here so I'm taking up his cause.

hypnotik and JamesBH11 repped this.