Best fans in the world

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Tetsuo, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The Salt Lake Stadium in Kolkata ( formerly Calcutta) seats 120,000 people. There is a lot of space to stand. During the yearly Kolkata derby, East Bengal vs Mohan Bagan, there are well in excess of 140,000 spectators.

In 2009, Diego Maradona (who openly admits to having leftist connections) visited Kolkata and was felicitated by the Chief Minister of the state of West Bengal (where Kolkata lies) in the stadium. The number of people who came to watch the event, and mind you it wasn't even a game, were ~ 200,000.

The state of West Bengal is ruled by the Communist Party of India (they've won every state election since 1977). The party makes it a point to go on strikes ( or bandhs as they are called locally) on all issues from price rises in essential commodities to foreign policy decisions taken by the central government. There were many days that the bandhs conveniently coincided with the East Bengal vs Mohan Bagan match. :p

I don't think any one can beat an entire economy brought to its knees to see a game of football. That answers who the best fans are. :D

2. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Numbers are never 'right' or 'wrong', my friend.

'as palavras são inocentes
    quais estrelas que só brilham na noite
    e não têm culpa de ser beta ou escorpião'

('Words are innocent
    like stars that just shine in the night
    & are not guilty of being Beta or Scorpio')

The same for numbers, Duck.

Right or wrong are the persons who interpret them.:)

PS: Btw wasn't you yourself who suggested that passion for football independs from the tribunes? :D ...

3. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    How can we interpret numbers in different ways? If the numbers say the average attendance in Brazil is 17000 then that's what it is. Nothing is left to interpretation.

4. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So, if Pelé has 400% more goals than Maradona would that mean he is 400% better than El Pibe? :eek: (I think he is but not just because of that).

As I don't think Flamengo's fans are 'the best' only because they are 35 million & display an average attendance of 45000.

Besides we're talking here about clubs averages and not 'nations'.;)
    You're mad, Duck.

Your question has been answered several pages ago & you can't accept it.

I insist: go back & look for more details in those 456 conflicting posts that deal with the matter.

You by force want to transform this thread in a discussion on 'average attendances' (a quantitative criterion) when the topic has to do with 'best fans of the world': a qualitative issue.

Sorry, you're gonna have to do that by yourself.

I'm not going to unearth a dead horse & help you to hijack a thread.

And, hey, you still didn't answer my question:
    Post #393, page 40.:D

5. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    No it doesn't. It does however mean that Pele scored 400% more goals. And you can interprit that however you want, it's still a fact.

If there is a average attendance of 17000 in Brazil, then there is a average attendance of 17000 in Brazil. It's impossible to interprit that to be less then 17000 or more then 17000. What do you think is the average attendance in Brazil?

I don't think numbers of spectators matter when judging what fans are the best anyway. Look at Barca, who average 70k. Unless there's a goal it's completely silent. I'd rather play in front of 20k Gremio or Boca fans. And I'm pretty sure Messi would as well.

And I am not trying to force this thread into a discussion about average attendance. I just asked a simple question what the average was in Brazil and you got very defensive. I suspect the fact that Brazilians don't attend games is a source of embarrassment to you. You certainly act that way.

6. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If not to interpret them, what for are your numbers? :eek: ...
    Backpedalled nice, now.LOL
    'Embarassment' or not, who is trying to escape it is you with your insistence on nation's averages ('What do you think is the average attendance in Brazil?') when what matters in the context of this thread is individual club's averages.

If you want to talk on a nations' level let's see if you don't get embarrassed on giving me one, just one nation in the world with better (average or absolute) attendances in NT games than the Seleção - be them home or away, friendlies or not.

In short: I wanna hear from your mouth of another NT in the world that fills more stadiums.LOL.

That's how you must appropriately interpret 'average attendances' at a national level, kid.

Your overall Brz league average numbers are ridiculously misplaced: what's at stake here (I'll have to repeat because you play deaf) are i-n-d-i-v-i-d-u-a-l club's standings.

7. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The numbers are to see what the average is. Do you still deny that the average in Brazil is less then 20k? Or do you want to interprit it up to 40k? Please explain how that's done.

Backpeddeling? When did I ever say attendance has anything to do with how great fans are? In fact I think I've said more then once that it's irrelevant. Barca being proof of that.

I know you're embarrassed about Brazilians not going to watch their football. But that doesn't matter. I was just asking a simple question and you started to fiddle like a girl who just got caught masturbating.

Why is individual club standings important? I don't see how that matters. Do you mean to say that the club with the most spectators have the best fans? Because I hate to break it to you, Flamengo aren't even close. In fact it's embarrassingly low considering how big Rio is. So all in all if you say attendance matters then Flamengo fans probably isn't in the top 100. But, like I said, to me that's irrelevant. But I guess for you it matters and that's OK with me. I just don't agree.

8. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Bye, bye, Duck:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5NofNPBAuM&feature=related"]YouTube- Fla-Flu da decada de 20, estadio das Laranjeiras[/ame]
    1920 - Fla x Flu - Laranjeiras Stadium - biggest stadium in Brazil (& probably South America) at the time - 25 000 people (sold out)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uBeLOrNay4&feature=related"]YouTube- Flamengo x Fluminense - Campeonato Carioca 1963[/ame]
    1963 - Fla x Flu - Maracanã Stadium - biggest stadium in the world at the time - 180 000 (a Camp Nou + 80 000 people) (sold out)
    ABSOLUTE WORLD RECORD EVER

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jjLj_SOpnk&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jjLj_SOpnk&feature=related [/ame]
    1982 - Flamengo x Vasco - Maracanã Stadium - biggest stadium in the world at the epoch - 140 000 people (sold out)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpwZK-ffc30&feature=related"]YouTube- Flamengo 1 x 0 Santos - Brasileiro 2007 - Recorde Brasileiro[/ame]
    2007 - Flamengo x Santos - Maracanã Stadium - full capacity (80 000 payed - 90 000 people watched it) - record of that year (sold out)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDb2O_Sn9cU&feature=related"]YouTube- Festa na saída do Maracanã 2007 Flamengo 1 x 0 Santos[/ame]
    2007 - Flamengo x Santos (same game) - Maracanã Stadium - 90 000 people - commemorations at the stadiums' exit

So, average along 90 years of important Flamengo games - 100 000 + people per game.

Not to mention the apocalyptical atmosphere of those bouts.

That's what you can call 'average attendance' of a team in games that have a minimum historical significance along its history (& the history of football itself).

And not include in your absolutely irrelevant miscalculations ASA de Arapiraca (Alagoas State) vs x Fortaleza (Ceará State) on a rainy week evening...

Which other club in the world has that to offer: MU? Real? Barcelona? Galatasaray? Fenerbahce? East Bengal?...

Answer is...NONE of them, bud.

So, husssh, Duck!...

'17 000'! Num fala besteira :rolleyes: ...

Go quack in your neighborhood preferably playing with your pals in that solitary square court.:p

PS: And remember...

'Words are innocent
    like stars that just shine in the night

& are not guilty of being Beta or Scorpio'

9. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    So, Flamengo has good fans for the big games. That's your definition of great support?

You really surprise me. For a old man you're not very smart.

10. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Err, I don't get you.

Before you were talking overall Brazil league's attendances (17000).

Now you're specifically talking Flamengo's (???)

Potatoes or onions? Make up your mind, bud :rolleyes: ...

You're right, historically 100 000 per game in important games is very little support.:D
    And for 'an young' one you need to 'attend' a better school.:eek:

11. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Remember, Duck.

Everybody here is bringing up their club's numbers (quantity) & intrinsic enthusiasm (quality).

Not their leagues' numbers.

Those simply don't matter AT ALL in this thread.

Don't try to hijack it.:(

12. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Clubs, Duck, clubs.:rolleyes:

And care more about the 'rest' of the world.:)

13. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I just asked what the average attendance in Brazil was. Am I not allowed to ask that? Stop being so defensive.

And you're the one who separated the Flamengo attendance. Not me. Am I supposed to just ignore what you say because I didn't bring it up? And you're the one who gave average for big games only. Like that matters? United could easily average 100k for big games only. So could Real Madrid, Liverpool, Milan, Barca, Juventus, Dortmund, Bayern. A ton of teams could do that. Saying your team draws big crowds for big games is stupid. Every team does that.

Are all Brazilians as insecure as you are?

14. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I'm not hijackin anything. I just asked a question and you turned into a insecure little girl.

15. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    I think we're done here, this thread's gone beyond saving