Best ever performances by legendary players.

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Krokko, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Krokko

Krokko Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Club:
    AIK Solna
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Which were the truly great matches, the performances that defined the class of players like Zidane, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Ronaldo, Romário, Platini, Best, Di Stéfano & Co?

Maradona's top number was probably the semifinal vs Belgium in the 1986 WC.

Ronaldo's was perhaps the CL semifinal Man United-Real Madrid in 2003?

Messi's top performance may have been the CL quarterfinal vs Arsenal in 2010.

2. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Magico Gonzalez's vs Barcelona. Magician.

3. Krokko

Krokko Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Club:
    AIK Solna
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    What happened??

4. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    What happened? You need to watch that game for sure, Magico was owning only by himself whole Barcelona like nobody did before. Magician.

5. Krokko

Krokko Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Club:
    AIK Solna
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Season?

6. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It is interesting to think about what truly were their outstanding games. Of George Best often the two against Benfica, his international game against Scotland and semi-final performance against Real Madrid (2 assists) are mentioned. Or the occasion that he scored 6 goals in an FA Cup game, still a club record today.

carlito86 and RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  7. Krokko

Krokko Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Club:
    AIK Solna
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Best was terrific that day vs Northampton. He said after the game: "It was getting embarrassing. I didn't want to score any more, so I spent the last 20 minutes at left-back."

carlito86 repped this.
  8. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Do you have a source or great book where you read that?

9. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hagi vs Colombia and Argentina at WC94 for NT and against Arsenal in the UEFA Cup final 00 for club.

10. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    I don't know try to find it. It was magic in its purest form. Messi and Maradona combined are not close to Magico's magic.

11. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ^ArchilugoMerengue?

12. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I liked Messi vs. Man U CL 2011 Final performance

13. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Platini vs Yugoslavia. Not sure if it was his best, but he scored a hattrick.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If Mágico Gonzalez with his talent had half the fight and persistence that AguiluchoMerengue has then he surely would have been an all-time great. :D

Jaweirdo and msioux75 repped this.
  15. Krokko

Krokko Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Club:
    AIK Solna
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    That's from a booklet/magazine published a few days after Best's death.

16. Krokko

Krokko Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Club:
    AIK Solna
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Vincenzino Montella 4 goals vs Lazio in 2002:

Marco van Basten's 4 goals vs IFK Göteborg in 1992:

I'm not a great fan of tackles, but Glenn Hysén's performance vs England in the 1988 WC qualifier at Wembley is legendary:

17. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Peter Schmeichel vs Bayern Munich in 1999 was very impressing too, but I was not sure if it was his best performance.

18. Sammer's Hammer

Feb 21, 2013
    Ronaldo against Lazio in 1997-98 UEFA Cup Final. Never seen anyone trouble Nesta as much as Ronaldo did.

Redondo against Manchester United in 1999-2000 UCL Quarter Finals.

Zidane against Brazil in 2006 Quarter Finals.

Rivaldo against Valencia in 2000-01 La Liga season. The last game of the season. Barca needed a win to qualify for UCL and Rivaldo's hattric won Barca the game. Final score was 3-2. That third goal was simply sick.

19. Krokko

Krokko Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Club:
    AIK Solna
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I had almost forgotten Rivaldo's great game there. Rivaldo was a really enigmatic player. In South America they called him Patapalo ("Wooden leg"), but he was actually considered the best of the world for a while. Then he arrived to Milan and just wanished.

He was spectacular at his best, but if you compare him to the best current players, you really understand how much the game has progressed.

20. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    No, frankly I don't. Could you explain?

21. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Rivaldo is both underrated and overrated. He is overrated by the like of Peru FC who rate him as a 'mediapunta' or attacking midfielder while (esp. at his clubs) in reality his main task was scoring goals, with assists as secondary job.
    But he is also underrated. Few realize that no other Brazilian scored as much goals as him in European club competitions - yes, even Ronaldo, Jardel or Altafini didn't score as much.

22. Sammer's Hammer

Feb 21, 2013
    I think Rivaldo is very underrated. I for one consider Rivaldo higher that Ronaldinho. Ronaldinho at his best was better than Rivaldo at his best. But Rivaldo had a better career and had more longevity.

Even though Ronaldo is my all time favourite footballer, Rivaldo was the best player in 2002 WC IMO. Not to mention if it hadn't been for Rivaldo's performances, Brazil wouldn't have qualified for 2002 WC.

23. Krokko

Krokko Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Club:
    AIK Solna
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Rivaldo was in some way the Zlatan of his times. He had incredible numbers, but also an inclination to consider football an individual sport. His vision of the game was basically: "Football = the ball + my foot + the goal".

24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    After the AC Milan fiasco, Rivaldo did enjoy a nice coda to his career with Panathiniakos, including some great matches in the CL and for Brazil in the early stages of the WC06 qualifiers. He didn't completely vanished after leaving Barcelona, and I feel that Parreira made a big mistake in leaving him out of the squad for WC06.

25. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    What did he do in those qualifiers? Scoring one goal from the penalty spot as a forward.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/...yers-statistics-and-discussion.1981757/page-3