Best European clubs of 2014

Discussion in 'Statistics and Analysis' started by Nicola1975, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Nicola1975

Nicola1975 Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Club:
    Vicenza Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There is no need for a ranking to understand which is the best team of 2014: Real Madrid dominated the year, winning the Champions League, the UEFA Super Cup, the FIFA World Cup, the Copa del Rey, and with a 22 wins streak between September and December.

Nevertheless, I decided to create a ranking :D
    I considered only the teams of England, France, Germany, Italy, Portugal and Spain, that played in the top division both in 2013-14 and in 2014-15 seasons.

The calculation system is the following.

Domestic League - points made plus goal difference divided by 2,5; the total is then divided by the number of games played.

European Cup - same as above, but the total is also multiplied (or divided, if negative) by a coefficient, which is:
    Champions League 2013-14: 1,3
    Europe League 2013-14: 1,2
    Champions League 2014-15: 1,2
    Europe League 2014-15: 1,1
    Furthermore, the scores of all the teams are adjusted to ensure that none of them is negative.
    The best score remains unchanged, while the worst is converted to 1, and all the other scores are adjusted proportionally. This is the formula to make the adjustment (TS = team score, BS = best score, WS = worst score): TS + ((1-WS)/(BS-WS))*(BS-TS).

The domestic and the European scores are then summed up, and some bonuses are added to the total:
    CL winner: 0,50
    CL runner-up: 0,40
    CL semifinalist: 0,30
    EL winner: 0,30
    EL runner-up: 0,20
    EL semifinalist: 0,10
    Domestic league winner: 0,15
    Domestic cup winner: 0,05
    Domestic Super Cup winner: 0,05
    UEFA Super Cup winner: 0,05
    FIFA World Cup winner: 0,05

In the table below there are the top 10 teams.
    The complete ranking is on my blog, here.

[​IMG]