Best Defender in the World???

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by ledu2nirvana, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Marquez world class wheter u like it or not

if you dont think rafa marquez is world class then you definitely dont know sh!t about football, for gawds sake hes been praised by rete.it, marca, amongst other well know footie sites. :rolleyes:
    other world class defenders are thuram, maldini, chivu, stam and nesta amongst others. i also believe that hierro is overrated. :D

2. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Rafa Marquez is not THE best, but up there.

3. DaniCrew

DaniCrew Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Tallmadge, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Ferdinand is extremely overrated along with Hierro, Couto, and LeBouf...

I would say my picks right now would be the following:

Nesta
    Cannavaro
    Javier Zanetti
    Walter Samuel
    Marquez

A few years back i would've put Desailly and Maldini in this group... but they've simply gotten a little long in the tooth...

And i agree with the post that said to watch out for Milito... he will be among the world's best in the next few years...

4. PassionOfTheFoot

Feb 12, 2002
    Incheon, South Korea
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy's a good soccer player, but THE BEST DEFENDER IN THE WORLD?! I'm gonna have to say no on that one. Not by a long shot.

5. Blueberry

Blueberry New Member

Aug 20, 2002
    Paris
  6. BrianJ 22

BrianJ 22 New Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Australia
    This topic really should either be "the best center back or the best wing back". Center backs play a totally different game compare to the right/left backs.

A typical center defender requires to be strong and tall so he could win in a one on one situation and head the ball away easily.

While a left/right defender can be short but requires to be fast and needs to be good at crossing the ball.

But I'll pick my best four

Roberto Carlos--Nesta---Hyypia—Thuram

7. GreenDay

GreenDay New Member

Sep 15, 2001
    Estonia
    Raio Piiroja. (Oh, you'll hear about him eventually :))

8. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Yes, but he's had a couple of own goals and had many breakdowns on the back line. That's why he's liked. :)

9. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    He may be a thug but unlike many of the other hacks out there, this lad CAN play defense. His Franchino/ABMOD -type play prevents me from ranking him among the best.

10. Sildegil

Sildegil New Member

May 15, 2002
  11. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    Nesta and Thuram.

12. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    What an argument.

13. pololo

pololo Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Sweden/Stockholm
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I agree but i don't think he is better than my grandmom....

14. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    it's thuram.

15. righthalf

righthalf Member

May 3, 2002
    I limit to the players I see. In EPL, Johh O'Shea (Man U) is the best.

16. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    No way I'm way better than wes brown. I play for Real Madrid.

17. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're not nightmares from being defended well. They're nightmares stemming from the felony assault Marquez committed against him at the World Cup.

Surprised Joey Franchino hasn't been mentioned amongst the best defenders.

18. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he plays in any friendlies against the U.S. before then he won't be. I'd cap Franchino or Waibel and send him out there, to wreck his knees the first match the US saw him in.

He also should have been arrested in South Korea.

19. RIO17

RIO17 New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Soon to be Denver,CO
    Man I seriously cannot stand biased and uninformed tools like you.

Marquez can score:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/ce/multi/0,1329,2019061_5,00.html

http://www.mundosoccer.com/despvar....l_nacional.html&url=selnacional/mexcol02.html

http://www.soccerage.com/en/04/15905.html

You are very foolish to dismiss Rafael Marquez for the mistake he made against the United States during the World Cup. Not only that, but you are using him as a scapegoat.

That game was full of violence and taunting from both sides, and the fans even joined in making things worse. Friedel punched Borgetti's face and it was repeatedly shown onscreen. One of the USA defenders also handled a shot with his hand, which was also constantly repeated by the televisors.

Mexican players may have behaved badly, but don't turn your head at the things that the U.S. players did. Both sides were not angelic in their performance whatsoever.

Rafael Marquez IS a world class player, whether you, a kid who resides on an internet forum giving bullsh|it opinions, believes it or not. Marquez is an accomplished player that has earned recognition on both sides of the globe.

Just by watching him play it is obvious that he is confident as a captain, can hold his ground, command the players on the field, defend with great skill, and distribute the ball cleanly and effectively. There is no denying that Rafael Marquez is among the best players in the world, unless you're a fool that doesn't know how to judge good footballers.

- Joe

20. RIO17

RIO17 New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Soon to be Denver,CO
    [​IMG]

21. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    get over it
    Rafa Marquez is the best player in the CONCACAF and one of the top defenders in the world.
    give credit where credit is due
    You two are judging him for one bad game he had
    look at how well he plays for Monaco and with Mexico when hes called up
    hes fvckin brilliant.

"but it takes "world class" to not play in a manner like that.... "

So i guess Rivaldo (Turkey vs Brazil), Cafu (Wreking Jeremies legs@WC 2002 Final), Jay Jay Okocha (Arsenal vs Bolton), and Sol Campbell (Manchest Untd vs Arsenal) are not world class players...
    cmon guys ... players have their bad days
    now u dont see the media calling them thugs, diving, cheating bastards. Why do you guys down Rafa's talent like that?

22. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're acting like it happen in the midst of a play or challenge (all those other instances, which are mostly at worst bad sportsmanship). Marquez picked Cobi Jones out and deliberately, with malice, assaulted him. There was no accident, no mis-timed challenge, no trying to get an advantage by fooling the referree. The whole purpose of the act was to injure Cobi Jones.

It's utter crap. And I don't care if he's the best defender of all time, I wouldn't want him anywhere near my favorite club or my national team.

And comparing the "elbow" from Sol Campbell in the Arsenal/Man U. game, and what Marquez did is so freakin' ridiculous, it's not even funny.

23. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marquez may be one of the better defenders in the world, but he is also a punk bitch, just like rest of the mexican team.

24. RIO17

RIO17 New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Soon to be Denver,CO
    [​IMG]

Any other useless crap you want to post ?

25. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Just pay attention to the Mexico-Brazil game tommorow when Marquez treats Ronaldo like his bitch. Then we'll all see who is the best defender in the world.