Best Championship Players Ever

Discussion in 'League Championship' started by hbk4894, Dec 27, 2012.

1. hbk4894

hbk4894 Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    just thought i would start this after i did the thread the worst premier league players , so was just wondering which players do you think has been the best in the championship's history , i was already thinking the likes of Holt and Lambert but i didnt want to name loads , wanted to know who you guys think?

2. thnam1

thnam1 New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Club:
    AA Coruripe
  3. homnayvui

homnayvui New Member

May 12, 2013
    Club:
    3 de Febrero
  4. hbk4894

hbk4894 Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Jordan Rhodes.

5. UShornet

UShornet Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marlon King was VERY good in his heyday.

6. ranny fash

ranny fash Member

May 18, 2005
    notts
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Marlon King. HAHAHAHAHA.

The Championship has only been an entity for a few years...are we talking since the Prem was created?

Adel Taarabt comes to mind straight away...he got QPR up on his own a couple of seasons ago. Portsmouth signed Ropbert Prosinecki for a year about a decade ago and he was FAR too good for this division at the time.

Those were only single seasons though. If we're talking over a period of time then that's more difficult as the best players will end up playing in the Prem, so unlikely to stick around in the second tier for too long. Gareth Bale and Theo Walcott played for Southampton in the second tier for a short time.

7. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Louis Saha, Pieere van Hoijdonk(sorry ranny) if we're going back far enough. And for Stoke, Peter Hoekstra

Since it's been called the Championship Jason Koumas maybe?

8. The Fourth Lion

Oct 14, 2013
    Hampshire, England
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The trouble with a thread like this is; what exactly is it that constitutes a "Championship" player..?

Many players have come with their clubs down from the Premiership. Some of those have flourished, possibly due to "finding their level", but others will look good because their Premiership experience has given them just that little bit extra over players who have never played in the upper tier.

If we were to define it as: A player who has played the overwhelming majority of his career at Championship level then that would probably be as close as we're likely to get.

Speroni at Palace has been a good, solid goalkeeper in the Championship. I kinda reckon he'll be back at that level next season so I think he can be recognised as a Championship player

David Nugent at Leicester has been a consistent and reliable goalscorer over a reasonably long period of time. Nugent did have a spell in the Premiership with Portsmouth, but it was terribly unsettled, shuttling back and forth to Burnley on loan, so it can be reasonably discounted as having a beneficial effect on his playing abilities.

He's done well in the Championship for Preston and Leicester so I would suggest his name should be in the mix.

9. LFSM180

LFSM180 New Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    Darren Huckerby absolutely destroyed full backs on a weekly basis when Norwich won promotion in 2003/04. One of the best players to ever pull on the yellow shirt. Genuine excitement whenever he was on the ball.

10. ranny fash

ranny fash Member

May 18, 2005
    notts
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    ^Huckerby is a good shout. Pierre Van D!ckh3ad only had 1 year. Chris Bart-Williams was a class above most other players in the second tier for a few seasons with Forest. Koumas is also a good shout...always wondered how he never quite made it in the top division.

Wes Morgan? Consistently one of the best defenders in the league for years now. Ashley Williams is even better but I don't think you could class him a Championship player!

Speroni yes. Class goalie. Consistent.

Steve Bull!

Kevin Phillips? How many seasons in the second tier?

11. thriker

thriker New Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Charlie Adam.

12. enigma1986

enigma1986 New Member

Feb 2, 2014
    raul,messi,shewchenko

13. Benando_NFFC

Benando_NFFC Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Vydras first stint with Watford in the championship was sublime.

Taarabt at QPR a great shout also

14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    First off, I'd say it would have to come off the single greatest team the championship has seen, Reading's 106 pt 2005-06, so Doyle or Sids are the obvious choices. That season also produced the two best US seasons in championship history, with Convey and Marcus absolutely brilliant.
    I'd also think from later on, Gylfi Sigurðsson gets some consideration. Only one season at the top of his game in the championship, but an amazing season.
    Unless you're also talking about the second and not just post 2004, then it is much tougher

15. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What about best attack? Anybody else remember Jansen, Dunne and Duff at Blackburn?

16. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As a Forest fan what about Andy Ried? He strikes me as the perfect second tier player, not mobile and athletic enough for the Premeriship but with more natural ability than lots of Premier league players.

17. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Okay, certainly quality but did Duff et al play in the "Championship?" As noted, if this is simply the second, the discussion gets much, much broader (wasn't Best briefly in the second near his prime?)
    Still, I'd put Little, Doyle, Kitson, Convey up against Duff, Dunne and Jansen, at least for that one year.

18. baseballbert

baseballbert Member

Jun 18, 2014
    I don't know where he rates all time, but QPR's Charlie Austin is pretty top notch.