Best Book Series

Discussion in 'Books' started by Felixx219, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I second both recommendations. The Hyperion Cantos consists of Hyperion, Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, and Rise of Endymion. Although they're all part of the same overall story, the like-named pairs are more closely-related, and the individual tales they tell are separated by... 200-odd years.

I loved Revelation Space. I wasn't quite as enthusiastic about the sequels. There was just something missing. I think he can be a little iffy at finishing off a story.

I've really liked his stand-alone novels House of Suns and Pushing Ice.

2. Estevo

Estevo Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    The I to the E!
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As far as Epic Fantasy, to me the WoT series is the best evah, hands down.

SF: the Foundation Series.

I'm currently on the second book of the Crossroads Trilogy by Kate Elliott. I am enjoying it, but the characters are somewhat shallow, the plot is interesting enough though.

3. makeyousmile

makeyousmile New Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Hands down, best book series for me. Amazing story, terrific characters, those books got everything in them. Perfect world building, as well. Love them, definitely epic read.

4. nopalnation

nopalnation Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    San Diego CA
    Club:
    CA Monarcas Morelia
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I also used to love the Legend of Drizzt series, "Dark Elf Trilogy, and "Icewindale trilogy" being among the best I have ever read..

but now, after 19 books, shit has turned in to a soap opera.. Salvatore should have ended it a long time ago.

[​IMG]

5. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Urban Fantasy (BadAss Chick edition):
    Ilona Andrews: the Kate Daniels series & the Edge books (two different universes)
    Patricia Briggs: Mercy Thompson & Alpha/Omega (same universe but different characters)
    Faith Hunter: Jane Yellowrock & the Rogue Mage series (two completely different universes)

Please note the absence of Laurell K Hamilton in the above list. She might have done Urban Fantasy BadAss Chick first, but she doesn't do it as well as the others.

Mystery:
    Martha Grimes: Richard Jury books (these are flawed, especially the later ones but most of them are entertaining reads. I've hated everything else that she's written.)
    Julie Smith: the Skip Landon books. (These are set in NOLA and she stopped writing them after Katrina because she was so freaked out.)
    James L Burke: the Dave Robicheaux books. (Also set in and around NOLA. I haven't read any of his post-Katrina books because I was so freaked out, plus this series is really, really dark.)

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I've read his Katrina and a few post-Katrina ones. They were tough, and I don't have any meaningful connection to NOLA like you do. But Robichaux has a place in Montana now (an an ex-nun as his new wife). You might want to check out one of those. But if he kills off this wife, my JLB books are heading to the recycling bin.

7. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously. Getting involved wtih Dave does seem to be a death sentence.