Best Book Series

Discussion in 'Books' started by Felixx219, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The actor that plays Blomkist in the Swedish version doesnt fit the role IMO. To be pulling in all those women, he has to be better looking than that. Also, in the book I took him as a laid back, pretty happy fellow that lets things roll off his shoulder. In the movie he doesnt appear happy at all. I didnt see him smile at all.

Lisbeth is exactly how I pictured her though.

2. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Neither Berger nor Blomqvist were as attractive as they really should have been. And yes, Lisbeth is spot on, as is Zalander and the big, blonde creepy guy. (I don't know if you've finished the series or not.)

3. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am in the middle of "Fire" right now so I know who you speak of. I didnt know that movie was out. I thought "Tattoo" was the only one that had been released.

4. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Agreed. I gave up on the movie, actually. Realized I just didn't care enough about the performances to bother much with it.

5. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    All three movies have been released in Sweden, and have been out for a while now. The last book just came out in the U.S. back in late Spring ... whereas Sweden was watching 'Girl Who ... Hornet's Nest' last winter.

So, there's some lag. But if you go surfing around Pirate's Bay or similar sites, you can find all three, with subtitles. (I watched them all back in May. :eek: )

6. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still havent finished the movie but I might do that tonight. I cannot resist not to finish it. I read reviews that the other 2 movies are better adaptions. Although I am skeptical considering that they are longer and more happens.

I have 350 pages into "Fire" right now. The murders just took place and the are on the hunt for the suspect. The first 350 pages could be an hour and a half movie alone.

I really hope Fincher can execute on his adaptions.

7. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Both "Dragon Tattoo" and "Fire" are Instant Watch on Netflix right now. The release date of the third is unknown so I will go to PB and get that one if needed.

I just picked up the 2nd and 3rd books of the Dresden Files from the library yesterday so I may read those before reading the 3rd book. But, I may be too into the Millennium series to do that.

Was it Larsson's intention to have all 10 books be about Blomkist and Salander? I wonder if there are outlines of all the books. I know they found the 4th. Do they have someone that is going to finish that book or write the rest of them?

8. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    What I did with the movies was more or less consider them as a nice visual supplement to the books and would get a little giddy when the image in my head matched what the director did in certain scenes.

-- Two of my coworkers think he was going to bring Lisbeth's sister into the mix somehow. It does seem like one of those loose ends he didn't quite tie up.

-- And I haven't read much on Larsson's intents, other than his rough back story and how they found a fourth one. Maybe it's because I rarely do complete series of books, but I don't know if he could have kept it going for 10 books with the two of them. Maybe if in one book it was mostly Salander, then another be mostly about Blomqvist with the other coming in and out ... ?

9. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just didnt see how those two could get involved in so much shit that it would be worth 10 books.

Apparently, the end and beginning of the 4th book are finished along with a big chunk of the middle. The wife of Larsson was involved in writing the books and fans have been asking her to finish it but something about the laws in Sweden are stopping it at the moment. Apparently, he had outlines for all 10 books and possibly starting writing a 5th but that is all I have found. I just would be interested to see what the synopsis is of all the books even if they dont get written.

10. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I finished the movie last night and just couldnt get over that actor playing Blomkist. It just didnt work IMO. I view Blomkist as a charming, happy, well-spoken person and that actor just didnt fit.

If I had to name an actor that I think fits as Blomkist it would probably be Robert Downey, Jr.

I know it was necessary due to time constraints but they left a ton of shit out and they changed things that werent necessary.

I also assume that the scene where the little girl throws a match on the man in the car was a preview of something in the next book and that kind of pisses me off that they did that.

11. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Have you finished 'Hornet's Nest' yet?

12. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not yet. I am about 250 in. Reading slow due to school work.

13. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    That must be painful. :( Sorry. I guess you'll get to savor it though.

14. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, it is. Even if I can sneak 5 minutes in, I usually do it. I have been sneaking off at work and reading 20 minutes here and there too.

I might have some time over the weekend to read the bulk of it.

I started the "Fire" movie though. It flew through the first 200 pages in like 5 minutes!

15. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a commute now, so I decided to listen to this series on audio. It's pretty intense. I found myself gripping the steering wheel during some parts. I even got a little emotional for some of it... you can imagine which part, I'm sure. I recommend it highly to anyone else who reads this thread.

I'm four discs into Catching Fire now.

16. Nagolian

Nagolian New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    While I'm always open to new "addictions" in that department, the Harry Potter series (along with LOTR and Narnia) will remain my favorite for a long while, I guess.
    Currently trying to re-sell my Twilight-books on amazon, though :cool:

17. Rhand

Rhand Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Mol, Belgium
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    If you're into Epic fantasy I'm sure you'll like:

- Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (and Brandon Sanderson now RJ died).
    - Malazan Tale of the Fallen by Steven Erikson.

WoT's final book (nr 14) will be published somewhere in March 2012 while MTF's last book (nr 10) will be published somewhere in March 2011.

If GRR Martin wrote a bit faster I would mention him as well, but he has been taking almost 6 years now to finish a book. I had it with him.

18. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over halfway done with what is out of the Dresdan Files books and I am really glad I read them. This is one hell of a series and I think Jim Butcher's version of the fantasy and supernatural world is my favorite. It is the most realistic version out of everything I have read as odd as that sounds. Like if this stuff actually existed, it seems like his version would be the one that it would be. On top of that, Harry Dresdan is one of my favorite leading characters ever.

Barbara repped this.
  19. nopalnation

nopalnation Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    San Diego CA
    Club:
    CA Monarcas Morelia
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    These are some of the best series I have read. I have rated them using 5 out of 5 stars.. all highly recommended;)

Sci-Fi:

The Hyperion Cantos
    by Dan Simmons 5/5
    Ender's game (linear series) Orson Scott 4/5
    Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds 4.5/5

Fantasy:

Dark Elf trilogy R.A. Salvatore 4/5
    Wheel of Time Robert Jordan 4.5/5
    His Dark Materials Philip Pullman 4.5/5
    Harry Potter series J.K. Rowling 5/5

20. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    70 posts and no mention of Asimov's Foundation series, which is only the best sci-fi ever written.

21. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foundation may be the most important work of sci-fi ever, but the characters were all pretty one-dimensional, taking a back seat to the science. Despite my love for Asimov, my favorite sci-fi stories tend to have interesting interpersonal interaction and character development that just happen to occur in a sci-fi (or fantasy) setting. Different strokes, I guess.

22. nopalnation

nopalnation Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    San Diego CA
    Club:
    CA Monarcas Morelia
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Agreed..

23. Street_Soccer

Street_Soccer New Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    I think the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind is the best fantasy series ever written.

24. nopalnation

nopalnation Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    San Diego CA
    Club:
    CA Monarcas Morelia
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It's really good, but not the best..

25. Reycd

Reycd Member

May 6, 2003
    HONK!! HONK!!
    Club:
    Real Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    Tahiti
    The first few books were good and I enjoyed them a lot, than I just kind of got bored and stopped reading.