Best Back-Up In Serie A?

Discussion in 'Italy: Clubs' started by Squeege, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Squeege

Squeege New Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Toronto
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Who do you guys think is the best back-up goalie in Serie A right now. Although it may seem somewhat biased, I have to say it's Alex Manninger. The way he filled in for Gigi was outstanding during his 3 month injury period and even Gigi himself couldn't replicate Alex's form for awhile. What do you guys think?

2. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not to be biased again but, I'd have to agree. I can't think of any back-up who is better: Milan have Dida, Storari and Roma; Roma have Artur and Julio Sergio. IMO, none of them are at Manninger's level at the moment.

And, as aforementioned, many argued that Manninger was Juve's better keeper last season; ahead of Buffon is commendable.

3. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Bizzarri was a good starter for catania last season and now backs up Muslera at Lazio. I'd put him up as a top #2.

4. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Manninger. It's not even close.

5. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Alex Manninger is definitely the best backup in Serie A.

Neither Abbiati nor Dida is very secure at Milan.
    Toldo is past it at Inter.

6. kickball21

kickball21 Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

7. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My comment was written before Julio Sergio's incredible season. At the time, I believed Manninger was superior. Now that Sergio is the starter, I'd still put Manninger above Doni. Really surprised at Doni though; once the starter of the Brazilian national team, he is not sure-handed at all. I'd think Roma fans would agree.

8. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Castellazzi at Samp.

9. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Best back up goal keeper, is probably Castellazzi. Or even Marchetti. Sad how he was once a starter for Cagliari, goes to the World Cup, goes back to Cagliari, get's into a argument with administration.and now he's a back up.

Surely in the winter transfer market, he'll be looking for a new team. Perhaps Arsenal. If they're still interested. Anything is better than Almunia.:):):)

Storari has been awful...lol...Juve need Buffon back, but they'll have to wait until 2011.

10. GiancarloC

GiancarloC Member

Sep 4, 2010
    LA, California
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Storari certainly is terrible.

I like our current line-up of Abbiati, Amelia, Roma... Amelia hasn't played though to convince me completely, but I hope to see him in future games.

Manninger is good, but Storari certainly only had a few good games and then went back to his usual. He lacks height and confidence in the box...

11. decola

decola Member+

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Storari was great for Samp last season, but I think he's more of a shot stopper than an all round great keeper. I think Bizzarri at Lazio and Iezzo at Napoli are the best back ups at the moment.

12. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Marco Ameila.:rolleyes:

According to a certain poster, he's World Class..:D