Best attribute for a soccer player?

Discussion in 'Player' started by soccerkid89, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Nero935

Nero935 Red Card

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
  2. AirbornePhoto

AirbornePhoto Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    its all about vision and the skill to get the pass through. the foot movement looks pretty, but the execution is what matters. like my coach used to say...

"bicycle shots get you laid, tap ins get you paid"

3. Game-Ball

Game-Ball Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I believe technical ability and maturity at a young age are the most important attributes for success.

All things being equal I think 1) technical ability has the biggest impact on how far a player will go. After you get into a professional organization it will be 2) mature thinking that will separate you from the others and gain the respect of the coach.

Many good players make silly, sometimes emotional decisions rather than keeping it simple and advancing as a unit.

It's a team with a lot of players in motion and one mistake can spell disaster.

In a growing league like the MLS we have athletes with physical attributes and technical ability but not enough players with maturity / experience to consistently compete with the top leagues.

EmpowerdAthletes repped this.
  4. EmpowerdAthletes

EmpowerdAthletes New Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I write a blog focused a lot on speed, strength, etc. so I'm big on those qualities, including mental toughness. However, without skills, you cannot play soccer. Skills are number one.

www.empoweredathletes.com

5. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd agree with this. The single most important thing is making the right decisions. You have to have the technical and physical ability to execute those decisions, but as long as you are able to do what you intend to do in a game situation, it's enough.

6. Thomas21

Thomas21 New Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Australia
    The best attribute for a soccer player is the ability to create space and time with the ball...

7. EmpowerdAthletes

Jan 5, 2011
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  8. borrie

borrie New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    If there is a single attribute it is first touch. The ability to get the ball exactly where you want it instantly is what separates the park players from the pros in my opinion.

The best example I have seen of this was lahm. Within one second he could receive and distribute the ball because of his first touch being perfect.

9. EmpowerdAthletes

Jan 5, 2011
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Interestingly no one (myself included) has mentioned mindset. I still think skill is number one, but without a good mentality there is no chance to go big. It is discussed specific to soccer players HERE.

10. Luka Jukic

Luka Jukic New Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Athleticism, skill can come later but natural athleticism is key

11. chris green

chris green Member

Newcastle United
    Aug 13, 2014
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Intelligence is key... followed shortly by sound technique (IMO)

Not just being able to see a pass before the ball arrives... but being able to find space, create space for others, know when to carry the ball and when to pop it off first time... when to cover defensively

watch videos of Xabi Alonso

12. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Confidence followed very closely by game awareness.

13. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Good looks followed closely by a charming personality. Because if you don't have the looks or the charm to get the girls what's the point of being a soccer player?

loden repped this.
  14. Ahmad1905

Ahmad1905 New Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Qatif , Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Elninho, nicklaino and Jonny98 repped this.
  15. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If your one of the best players in the world you could be as ugly as a beast and still get beautiful women.

After having all the skills to be great it comes down to still being a good decision maker.

So Ahmad is right.

Ahmad1905 repped this.
  16. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if you really think about it, off-the-ball movement is mostly decision making. It's all about making the right decisions when you don't have the ball.

Anyone remember Mario Jardel from 10-15 years ago? Averaged more than a goal a game in the Portuguese league for six seasons, won the European Golden Boot twice and was the first foreigner to win Portugal's Player of the Year award, scored 36 times in 55 games in UEFA competitions. I watched him absolutely shred Real Madrid and AC Milan when he was playing for Porto. All this even though he was slow, overweight, and had only average technique compared to other pros. Most of his goals were tap-ins, but they all counted! That's the power of intelligent movement off the ball.

Ahmad1905 repped this.
  17. marc7

marc7 New Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Europe's largest football talent under the age of 12 years could live in Austria. The boy has two absolutely right feet. From 8:40 in the video he shows how he behaves in the game. It is reminiscent of very large players.

18. Alricson

Alricson New Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Can't tell if you're praising or criticizing the kid

19. marc7

marc7 New Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    praising of course :)