Berhalter

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Pragidealist, Oct 12, 2018.

1. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what some people were saying after they hired Arena. Look how that turned out.

2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, the best USMNT formation is a 532/352, or maybe 442, or maybe 433. I don’t recall the single striker formation ever being effective for us except against minnows. Fans become so enamored by another team’s way of playing that when they try to mirror that it just looks like second rate crap.

Strengths:
    Pulisic is a world class creative attacking talent. Weah and Sargent are promising.

We have a lot of good depth at center back.

We have a good young midfield combo in McKennie-Adams.

We do have some decent attacking fullbacks.

We are traditionally a physical, hardworking counter attacking style team.

Weaknesses:
    We lack top end wingers and forwards.

We lack good stay at home, defending fullbacks.

We lack depth in the middle of the field.

We are not a possession-oriented kill you with Jogo Bonito team.

....bottom line: we play a formation we’re not suited for just because someone thinks that’s the way we need to play and we’re going to get slaughtered.

Bajoro, juveeer, Zinkoff and 3 others repped this.
  3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I was the opposing coach and the other coach wanted to play his style over looking at the tools in his chest and playing accordingly, I would be licking my chops.

juveeer and bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  4. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It takes a superlative athlete, a tireless work ethic, and insane technique to be anywhere near Kante. Guy is a freak. That's why there is only one of him in 7.6 Billion people on this planet. I'd rather send that video to the youth basketball and football teams than the current youth set ups. It's those guys who have produced, or failed to produce the players we need right now.

5. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #55 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    The bottom 10 MLS payrolls are:
    TeamPayrollCurrent Points
    Houston $5.735
    DC$6.741
    New England$6.835
    Columbus $7.048
    NYRB$7.765
    San Jose$7.820
    Minnesota$8.236
    Vancouver$8.243
    Philly$8.950
    RSL$9.046

http://www2.philly.com/philly/sport...ladelphia-union-roster-may-2018-20180510.html

If anyone should get credit for doing more with less it should be Jesse Marsch .

6. bharreld

bharreld Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Westlake, OH
    I would prefer Marsch because I enjoy watching that style of play and think it fits our player pool, but I could (and will have to it appears) live with Berhalter. And weirdly the most encouraging thing for me about him is that coaches like Tata, Viera, and Torrent have all praised him for his tactics/cleverness. I trust those guys to know what they’re talking about.

largegarlic and TrueCrew repped this.
  7. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Phil Jackson doesn’t give a shit, he’d beat you anyway.

8. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    He was in Holland before he was in Germany.

bharreld repped this.
  9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3G has played some 352 here and shown the ability to adjust how the FBs play. Afful will tuck inside some games instead of overlapping. Usually either to stop counters or if our winger is really speedy.

Point being, yeah, he likes the 4231, but varies it some and will go to 352. Often goes 442 late in games when down.

juveeer repped this.
  10. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    From what I can tell his 4231 is very 352 lite anyway. It wouldn’t be a stretch to play either

11. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that table changes with Rooney’s signing in DC, but not super important. Columbus is one of the lowest spending teams in MLS.

The entire NYRB organization, including Marsch, deserves credit for its academy. Their payroll is low because they have developed less expensive American players.

Berhalter does not have the same academy system developing players for him. In fact, Columbus is regularly rated one of the league’s worst academies. This goes back to @puttputtfc’s point that Berhalter has been succeeding on a shoestring budget. US Soccer and MLS need fewer investors like Precourt.

As has been reported, Marsch burned bridges with USSF when Bradley was fired. I doubt he was ever considered in the Federation, where politics are far more important than performance.

juveeer, bharreld and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Marsch will be NT some day, but he's doing things right: going to Europe to learn what he doesn't know, first. Assistant in the BuLi is good, perhaps even better than head coach in Sweden. Let's hope he gets a shot at the main job with one of their youth/reserve teams soon, and doesn't get fired for "ratonear."

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I understand your point, but I don't agree with this.

New England, Houston, Orlando, Portland, Colorado are all worse academies, IMO. I think DC, San Jose and Chicago might also be worse. Maybe one or two of the Canadian academies, as well.

Columbus hasn't brought many players through to their first team, but they have a number of YNT players at the moment, and performed pretty well at both higher levels of the DA playoffs last season. I think they are much closer to middle of the pack than having one of the worst academies.

14. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if the rumors are false? What if it's not Gregg? What if no decision has been made? What if David Wagner at Huddersfield Town is in the mix? Hmm.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Took just 7 years to learn that. I'm wondering how many years are needed to learn who ruined Benny's career.

16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Between Berhalter and Wagner, I take the former.

17. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, apparently from some folks the 2 years played in MLS under Arena at the very end of his playing career trumped the 15 years he played in Europe in the Netherlands and Germany,

deejay, IndividualEleven and superdave repped this.
  19. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Berhalter is being considerd by LA galaxy as well and they are giving him multiple positions/ a lot of power.

juveeer repped this.
  20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If it's not Berhalter it's going to be Vermes and then I'm going to be even less optimistic.

Borrachin repped this.
  21. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and no.

Yes in that most times both FBs push upfield and the #6 moves between the CBs until the FBs get back into position. And the outside mids pinch in & so the FBs resemble wingbacks a lot.

As noted above, there are variations. Sometimes only the ball sude FB advances which allows Trapp to push up more. Or the FBs pinch in.

No in that there are almost never 2 fwds. Though Higuain has played higher at times. Thus it becomes closer to 343 in possession. 4231 in defense.

22. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    When Berhalter came to LAG in semi retired status he immediately fixed the defence and somehow his multiple partners started to become contenders for MLS Defender of the year.
    There are plenty of international coaches better than Berhalter, but he is pretty good, and knowing how selection process is going and who is selecting I'll be fine if that's him.

23. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People still think Alvarez is playing the USMNT? He's gone. I hope Carleton develops into the Higuain type.

24. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The Berhalter years.

--------Place----Budget
    -------------------Ranking
    2013---16th-----14th
    2014 ---7th------17th
    2015----4th------13th
    2016---18th-----17th
    2017---- 5th-----17th
    2018---10th-----18th

He has generally significantly outperformed the team's budget. In most normal leagues, he'd be given a gig at a big club, before getting the NT gig.

deejay and superdave repped this.