Berhalter to....

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BuffloSoldier, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I have a contract, so I don't really have to worry,'' Berhalter said. "I'm just trying to find the right situation. I talked to people in M.L.S. a couple of weeks ago. The lines of communication are open. If my situation remains the same, by January M.L.S. will look pretty good.''

You sure about that?

2. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    Ursula, if you wanna be in my gang I just need to know whether you're mine for the evening, for the weekend, or for life. How much Selhurst can a mod with a great ass take? And what shape do you think your ass will be in by the time Brighton have come and gone in October? Sore but smiling isn't an easy condition for a lady to bear with grace, and in SE25 you'll find that Grace left the building long before you passed through the turnstiles.

Still, we at Palace need all the help, love, attention, and support we can get. Even from Portland, Oregon (if I remember right). The roller coaster starts at Preston on Saturday and Syd the Evangelist notes that it does so with the numbers at communion swelled. Welcome to the worlds greatest football experience. I'm proud of you, and you'll be proud to write Crystal Palace in that little box next to your name. The love starts here. Where do I send the red 'n blue shirt?

3. There must be some sort of BigSoccer hall of fame for this post.... Even Jack n Ty have their own hall of fame. One of the best posts Ive ever seen on here....

4. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    As a Columbus Crew fan, I get the strange feeling that I will be writing something similar in about 30 years....although I will never be able to do it so poetically.

5. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Uh.. ursula's a guy...

I may have to become a CP fan.

Sachin

6. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Anyone know the words to the Crying Game song?

7. Scrandal

Scrandal Member

Nov 5, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Berhalter a wanker?

But anyway folks, back on topic, sort of.

Seems the following excerpt from today's Jack Bell NY Times article makes Gregg look a lot less like an idiot than a couple weeks ago.

On the skechy information we had we all thought Gregg had ditched Iraklis for 60K. If the below statement is accurate it seems like a significant amount more of cash. Perhaps the buyout was 60K but either way I can't see Gregg being the one who screwed the pouch. Sounds like Palace said free transfer but didn't really mean it.

from the article:

"When TREVOR FRANCIS, the Palace manager, told him he was not in the club's plans, Berhalter tried to land a job elsewhere on the continent. Offers from clubs in Greece, Austria and Turkey fell through because Palace refused to buy out his contract, which has a season and an option year remaining."

If I am reading this wrong please be so kind as to let me know.

8. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    What do I care if Ursula's a guy? We're talking San Selhust here...give me your tired, your weary, your underprivileged, your gay, your acne-ridden, your downtrodden, your poor. Palace is a universal temple for football-loving vagrants where Jesus saves and Doogie scories with a thumping drive on the rebound.

I vowed never to evangelise and beg people to support my team when I joined this board (there's far too much of that already) but anyone who wants to come along for the ride of their lives can get anything Palace they want or need from me. You'll be in for a lot of fun!

9. mattgabe

mattgabe Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Blacksburg, VA
    Re: Berhalter a wanker?

It's my understanding that when a team sells a player who DIDN'T ASK to be sold, they pay him a kind-of "golden handshake" for loyalty to the club. I think that's what held up the Yorke to Blackburn deal for a while.

Oh, and Syd, I've been to Selhurst a few times (back under Bruce) when Palace played some damn good football and once under Francis when they played some of the worst crap I've ever seen. I'm so sorry for you...

;)

10. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    Re: Re: Berhalter a wanker?

Matt,

It's not a golden handshake per se. It's simply that if a player is sold without asking to be transfer listed, he is entitled automatically to a percentage of the fee. I can't remember exactly what the percentage is, but I think it's around five to ten percent. If, on the other hand, he demands a transfer then he gets nothing. This is why players who are borderline do not demand to be listed, and the Rio Ferdinand case is a good example. Rio never actually demanded a transfer and thus was entitled to cash in when he was sold. Instead, he more or less made his position at Leeds untenable by "negotiating" through the media, so in the end he had the best of both worlds...he got the transfer he wanted, without formally asking for it. It's called having your cake, and eating it. Obviously, the system is open to abuse!

As for our football under Francis, well, things can only get better. The sun will come up over Preston on Saturday morning and I'll be sitting on the M6 with a great big smile of anticipation on my face. Of course, an hour and a half later I'll be back in that traffic jam wondering why I've wasted another fifty quid and countless hours sweating my arse off in a small car in pursuit of the same dream that's been disappearing over the horizon for over thirty years now, but three days before the big kick-off represents my one and only chance of optimism every year. Who'd trade Palace for following the big boys? Not me.

Syd

11. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Re: Re: Re: Berhalter to....

And no one has any talent! GB would be better off playing in the US in the A-league than in Scotland at this point in his career!