Berhalter skippers C Palace reserves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by mik_smith, Jul 29, 2002.

1. mik_smith

mik_smith New Member

Feb 5, 2001
    London
  2. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see that playing in the World Cup has made such an impression.

4. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    It's simple; Francis just doesn't like Berhalter or his style of play--and until Berhalter agrees to a move away from the club, he'll be in the Palace reserves.

5. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be worse. He could be behind a desk for 60 hours a week making a 10th of what he's paid now.

6. mattgabe

mattgabe Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Blacksburg, VA
    The ONLY senior member of the squad? Seems like a hell of a slap in the face to me...

7. mik_smith

mik_smith New Member

Feb 5, 2001
    London
    Re: Re: Berhalter skippers C Palace reserves

Agreed. I don't think GB's presence would make much of a difference, but I think it's symptomatic of Francis' antediluvian attitude towards football...

8. Barca_Fan2003

Barca_Fan2003 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Slidell, LA
    According to the report, the only opponnent's goal was his fault.

9. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    With regard to the predicted gloomy future of Berhalter at CP, I just want to point out that he might have been one of the last players to rejoin the squad, thus explaining (I hope) why he may have to work with the reserves before he gets his first team action. I can wish, can I?

10. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Berhalter's not that good and his agent makes pretty outrageous demands for money in many cases. He's also an EU player and if he was all that bigger teams would come in for him IMHO. However, this Francis guy is a git.

11. DAKCrew

DAKCrew New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    Or worse yet he could play in the MLS

12. Berhalter skippers C Palace reserves

Not exactly something to highlight on your resume.

13. sparafucile2000

May 13, 2002
    Boston
    I thought he had a below average WC. Worked hard, though, and almost had that equalizer against Germany.

14. sparafucile2000

May 13, 2002
    Boston
    I meant to add that that's relevant to me because it probably hurt his chances to be called up from the reserves.

15. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Compared to the other CP players at the cup, I think his play stands up pretty well. Berhalter may not be world class, but his cup proved he's good enough to start in the first division.

16. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    I honestly don't see his WC as "below average". I'd give it an average rating at WORST. He and Pope combined to help shut down both Mexico and Germany for the majority of both games in the middle. Its important to remember the German goal wasn't scored by Berhalter's mark and, despite the fact everyone still wants to say Friedel is world class, it was right at him and certainly stoppable, not easy, granted, but also not an impossible save. But I digress, Berhalter had a fine cup in my mind, I fail to see how Breen's was better then his other then for a goal against Saudi Arabia, which, with all due respect, isn't much to brag about. Berhalter deserves a shot somewhere, but realistically because he screwed up that transfer he had setup he may never get it. But I doubt he'll complain about collecting checks from CP :D

17. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    Berhalter was a rock in comparison to Agoos at the WC, and I feel he earned at least a fresh start in a new footballing enviornment. He will never be a top class centreback, but he has certainly proven himself capable of playing a role in our national team and the ability to start at the level of the english first division.

18. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if this irony was intentional or not, but it was widely reported that Berhalter is the only World Cup player in Palace's history.

Even if you think Berhalter was below average, the notion that a "below average" player on a friggin' World Cup semifinalist can't find a place in a mediocre First Div. side tells you much, much more about the management of said side, than it does about Berhalter or his abilities.

Yeah, I know, I haven't seen Gregg's competitors for time at Palace play. But, please, this is Crystal Palace...how good can their central defenders be?

20. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
    What about that Chinese player Fan Zhiyi? Or does he not play for CP any more?

21. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    He's gone.

22. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I think he's now with Dundee in Scotland.