Benteke'n a piss, what'd I miss? - Summer Transfer Thread 3

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Wingtips1, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Let's get it started.

2. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thief! varlet!

Wingtips1 repped this.
  3. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    apparently a bid equaling his buyout clause has been lodged by Liverpool!

4. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    barca looking to loan out arda until their transfer ban is lifted in january to a non-CL side...

5. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    I'm really pleased with the summer transfer window so far. We replaced Gerrard with Milner, Aspas with Ings, Coates with Gomez, Jones with Bogdán, Sterling with Firmino, and Johnson with Clyne. On paper, our squad is now significantly better than it was at the end of last season. Technically speaking, our new signings are all upgrades over the players we lost.

Gerrard was getting old and needed to be replaced with an experienced midfielder who can still give his utmost for the next 3 seasons and assert himself against tough opposition, and that's exactly what we got in the form of Milner -- for free! Aspas didn't do much during his Liverpool tenure, and Ings looks like a promising replacement with a lot of ambition and potential. Bogdán is definitely an upgrade over Jones. Sterling was overhyped and didn't show any signs of consistency last season, whereas Firmino looks like he has already established himself as a reliable midfielder/winger. Finally, we replaced an injury-prone Coates and an aging Johnson -- no pun intended -- with two very promising defenders (i.e. Clyne and Gomez).

Overall, I can't really complain. So far, this year's transfer window has been a lot better than those of the previous two years. For once, we look like we have a good, well-rounded squad that can seriously challenge for the top four and the two major domestic cup competitions. I, for one, am not the least bit concerned about Manchester United's signings. I'm confident that we'll knock United off the top four this season.

All we need to do now is get rid of one or two underperforming strikers and sign Benteke. With this squad, we can genuinely challenge for the top four and, possibly, top three. Nowadays, success depends a lot less on exceptional individuals and a lot more on teamwork, team spirit, and team unity. As long as the players gel together and the manager keeps everything in order, we shouldn't have anything to worry about.

goindownsouth repped this.
  6. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And, perhaps even more importantly, the quality depth. That was something that had been significantly lacking.

liverbird and Kutsuit repped this.
  7. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
  8. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It is all on Rodgers now (especially if we sign do Benteke).

He has the players he reportedly targeted, he's in his fourth year as manager of LFC, he's taken us close to the title...I say compete on all fronts, but target the PL as your main goal. Absolutely he needs to get us to the top four.

What say you fellas? What does BR have to do to stay at LFC this season?

9. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    He has to make us qualify for the Champions League, without a doubt. Only then would Liverpool be able to have a sustainable financial model. We need to consistently qualify for the Champions League if we genuinely want to compete with the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, and Manchester City.

EruditeHobo and liverbird repped this.
  10. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    BR needs to make us proud to support the team. That's it. Results will come.

AndSomeAreAngels repped this.
  11. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If we sign Pedro as well, and roll with a front 4 of Coutinho, Firmino, and Pedro playing behind Benteke...well then lets just say Kleenex sales in the city of Liverpool will skyrocket.

12. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now my target is the League, the FA and League Cups, and the Europa League. Want all four but I put them in order of priority.

13. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #13 LorneMarvello, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2015
    Guys im sorry for my comment

14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    coz we'll be crying tears of joy!! oh, wait ... hang on ... maybe that's not what you meant ....?

:)

liverbird repped this.
  15. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the team performs, Beenny will stay. I was going to say he needs to get champions league, but the reality is there exists a scenario in which LFC play very well and don't get back into CL.

So I think top 5, cup runs, Europa league deep run means he could stay put.

16. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say quarterfinals in Europe, he's got to get to the finals of either Carling Cup or FA Cup, and he's got to get us into the top 4.

I agree, if he gets Benteke, he's probably got all the targets he said he wants. Not sure what to think about this recent Reus stuff. Would be icing on the cake for me though (probably would mean Markovic's number's up).

17. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh and thanks all for naming the thread!

18. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is one of the best thread titles in some time.

19. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    There are 5 (maybe 6) teams in the Premier League whose minimum requirement is to finish in the top 4. Sacking the manager for finishing 5th would be harsh especially if we have a good season. Finishing outside of the top 4 last season was inexcusable because of how poor Man United were. However, it would be a different story if all of the top 5 teams play up to their potential.

I just want to see us playing good football again. Rodgers need to prove that his 2nd season in charge is more indicative of his ability as a manger than his 3rd.

hubbabubba repped this.
  20. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    1) Win the Europa. Trophies will stand out to all players - and they are good 'history' to have. We have a large enough squad to make a run here. Hell, Sevilla has basically used 17 or 18 players in each of the last two campaigns and managed to win it while playing to their level in the league.
    2) Finish no lower than 5th - be in the running for a top 4 place until late.
    3) Make a run to the semis in one of the two domestic cups.

22. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Forward or winger.

23. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pedro is a goal scoring wingker (winger/striker) - bit like RaheemFC who is a goal fluffing wanker (wanker).

soccershaggy repped this.
  24. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Not sure. But he'll be gone if we don't make Top 4.

25. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Good news today. Benteke is a great signing. Who else were we realistically going to sign?

Others are right though, that it is now up to Rodgers to incorporate his talents into the "system"

If this Pedro news is correct and he's available for ~20m that would be incredible.

Hopefully we can offload Borini, Lambert, and Balotelli for roughly that amount.