Benny Feilhaber

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Abebe, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yeah, I think that's part of what's involved.
    They may already have their eye on someone. Just because it's a mystery to us, doesn't mean they don't have some ideas.
    Exactly.
    They should absolutely take some time and listen to all trade offers. In the middle of Bruins/Celtics playoffs and Red Sox/Pat's news, the media is not going to go bananas over "Benny" in any case, so a media blitz should be secondary to listening to offers.

From what I've gathered about Nicol, I think he'd *love* have Geoff Cameron, but probably never believed it would be possible (after he established himself). Cameron or Davis are the only players that make sense to me and draft choices, allocations, etc. are not what we need now.

And, what we would get back in the allocation order isn't important either - I don't think there are any game-changers coming down the road, and another allocation pick could end up never being used at all.

For all the impatience we are experiencing, we should keep in mind a couple of recent thoughts:

- people were saying we should offer Chivas/Phillie all kinds of things to change spots with us. In the end, we didn't have to do either.

- lots of folks thought we should do anything and everything to get Charlie Davies when he went through this process - that it was unlikely we'd have a shot at anyone as good this year.

- the Revs management aren't a bunch of dopes, as some like to believe. They do draw a hard line, which sometimes (like yesterday) pays off and sometimes doesn't. But, I don't think they are going to abandon their core beliefs over a Jeff Larentowicz, whether it hurt to lose him or not.

I agree that Feilhaber looks like a great fit, and I've really liked him as the rare US player who exhibits some creativity. But, they Revs may have concerns that keeping him may tie their hands from other things they want to do. We'll have to wait and see if they decide to keep what they've got ... or trade it for what's behind curtain #3 (and what that is).

2. gmboy95

gmboy95 Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norton, Ma.
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I refuse to believe anything as ridiculous as that could happen...I refuse I refuse i refuse I refuse!!!!!!!!!!!

3. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's OK to limit our ability to make moves in the future, because as a club we don't really make many moves, period. We made so many moves this off season, our front office is probably exhausted and hibernating.

4. gmboy95

gmboy95 Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norton, Ma.
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you live in a fantasy world!!!!

5. gmboy95

gmboy95 Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norton, Ma.
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cant tell you how sick i am of listening and reading folks on message boards and twitter acting as if Houston can simply wave a magic wand and get benny, because hey, we are just the minor leagues and no one could possibly want to play here!!!

if the revolution do this without robbing houston blind, then they reinforce the fact that maybe we are the D-league of MLS!!!.....screw houston!!!

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I think the same could be said for New England, and this is something that shouldn't be discounted. If we were to keep Benny then I'd say Nicol, Burns and Co. would feel pretty set about the roster for the season, meaning fewer distractions down the line and a better chance for the team to... wait for it, wait for it... help me out Monty or Jon!

Seriously, we'd have a settled roster only a few games into the regular season and that's something that I can't recall happening in recent memory. Then again, I just had another birthday, to who's to say how good my recent memory is these days :)

7. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Fact is, the Dynamo are unlikely to give up starters. That being said, if you guys can afford him under the cap, I do not see you trading him away. The only downside for you guys, is it may limit your ability to make any moves in the future. That is what Dynamo fans meant by the final piece. If we did get him, the assumption would be that no moves would be required this year barring injury. If the same can be said for you - keep him!

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I imagine that's one of the points being made down in Foxborough.
    I think it's a fine-looking roster and one that I think should be able to compete with anyone, provided the key players avoid major injuries.

And, there's pretty serious depth everywhere except possibly right back and goalkeeper.

I think their attitude is that they would be fine adding Feilhaber to the mix, but if someone is able to offer them something of quality while still allowing them to add someone in the summer, they're willing to listen.

9. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Relax. The argument is that if the Revs want immediate help, then switching places in the allocation hand out line doesn't seem real attractive. If they want actual bodies on the field this weekend, then Cameron is the guy they ask for.

If they're OK holding out for a few months (...which, by the way, would not make Revs fans real happy, but that hasn't stopped 'em before.) then yeah, we're probably looking at a combination of young players/draft picks/allocation money AND a swap of places in the allocation order.

If we move back up to #3 in the allocation order, I'd be suprised if the Dynamo parted with Bruin/Cruz/Clark/etc. We're probably looking at cash and a pick. Without the swap in allocation spots, you could offer Bruin, Cruz, Palmer, Boswell, AND Clark, and I wouldn't take it.

Holy exaggeration, Batman.

10. OrangeCajun

OrangeCajun Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, that's not my pov. It was conjecture on the thought process of our FO based on their statements from our other recent pick-ups.

11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry ... already drinking. :D

This team needs help now ... waiting for the DP in the transfer window (and who knows if that'll happen) might be too late.

12. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    your comment makes no sense.

13. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I think that is the rub for both teams - if you feel that adding him allows you to compete with only minor modifications then by all means you add him to the roster. That is what Houston believes which is why they are going after him. The question is, does NE feel the same. The challenge for us, is quite frankly you have him. :) If we have to give up starters, well that defeats the concept of adding "one more piece' as we would create other holes to acquire him but have no space left to make a move.

For that reason, unless draft picks and depth are want NE wants - I doubt this happens.

14. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team needs more than a DP...