Ben Lederman at Raków Częstochowa (Poland)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Clint Eastwood, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Led’ies and Gents, presenting Ben Lederman at KAA Gent

2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Gacm32, UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.
  3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a good post on this. Basically, Barca felt that Lederman got screwed over in the youth transfer saga, and his associated suspension, so they brought him back. At the same time, this also allowed them to give a big "******** you" to FIFA. Besides, their youth model requires having a boatload of youth players in the mix anyways, knowing the vast majority will never make it.

Winoman and The Irish Rover repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Bad first touch is a hell of a lot easier to notice than good first touch. ;)

5. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
    PAOK posted some very PAOK-centric highlights of this match from early last month. Lederman can be seen a couple times. Nothing too noteworthy, just running and the like. But if you want to see him chasing down Omar El Kaddouri to the tune of Mick Jagger, then head to 2:07 and it'll be quite the moment.

http://tv.paokfc.gr/video/i-parakamera-tou-paok-gandi-k23

Also found a comment from Gent's fan forum from around this time in which one poster says:
    Google Translate: "A lot of qualities but still a "children's body" (I heard it said, not seen it myself.)"

So that's fairly interesting. Maybe he needs to hit up Eddie Johnson for some grown-ass man training.

6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Winoman repped this.
  7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Will Lederman get enough time to be a letterman? Ben Lederman at KAA Gent."

"A gent at Gent*-Ben Lederman in Belgium

*Yeah, I know"

Winoman repped this.
  8. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the complicated thread titles should probably be saved for the grown up YA forum, but I can't help hearing Betterman in my head when I read Lederman (probably not even pronounced that way.

He dreams in Gent: Can find a Lederman

9. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
    Found just a little bit about his recent games. Missed a penalty in Gent II's match against Lokeren on 8/13. He played in some type of youth match against HO Kalken last Friday.

One supporter briefly commented on him:
    Google Translate:"Lederman (unremarkable) fell in the second half"

I'm not sure what "fell" means here (maybe injured or played poorly?). But still, "unremarkable" isn't super encouraging, and there were a couple other fans questioning why he was brought in (another responded that he was just "reinforcement" for the reserves).

Obviously, I'm just relaying what I've seen online. He's probably still adjusting a bit and there's still plenty of time in the season to make a positive impression.

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Scotty repped this.
  12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn’t he a bit player on the reserve team? Doesn’t seem like his path is that great.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  13. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I think spending your youth years at La Masia is a great path, and the narrative of “Oh my God he isn’t starting in Europe for his Belgian club at 18 years old three weeks after joining the team!” from people like you who seem to represent the dismissive, short-sighted majority in our country is actually a nice platform to come from for a young player if he works hard. He’s already had his little humbling and he can focus on becoming a good professional.

You know, I think we need to evolve a little bit as a fan base with our perspective. But go ahead and write him off, I think that helps.

bsky22 repped this.
  14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ??? Maybe some of our fan base is evolved enough to understand that more than fifty percent of La Masia players at his age never have a significant professional careers, and all signs point to Lederman being in the unfortunate majority. There’s simply no reason to think right now he will break through aside from the magic La Masia pixie dust.

Also, he’s not starting FOR THE RESERVES. Compare him to Weah, Sargeant, and other players who are making waves at the same age. He’s simply not shown anything to be optimistic about.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  15. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    #590 Rahbiefowlah, Sep 9, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Jesus dude, he’s a pro in Europe at 18.

taylor and TarHeels17 repped this.
  16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure he’s even a “pro” or is still on a youth/amateur type contract, but he’s one Ive identified as not likely to make it, like the majority of any country’s prospects. I’m sorry if this burns your soul.

17. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing is that with him going over at such an early age and to such a hallowed club that the tag of prodigy clung to him and with it high expectations. Remember this was a player featured in the New York Times at the age of 12, I believe. It seemed he was destined for greatness, and now it seems to be heading south. A bit similar to the case with Martin Odegaard, who is also a pro at 19, playing on a decent side in a decent league, but it's not quite up to what everyone was expecting when Real Madrid signed him at 15 or 16. Not saying the two are the same, but the circumstances are.

18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who had high expectations based on him being at La Masia at 12 didn’t understand how it works. The chances of any given La Masia 12 year old playing with the Barca first team is less than ten percent.

Also, Odegard was actually playing for the first team in Norway before he moved to Real Madrid, as opposed to Ben who has never appeared on any first team.

taylor repped this.
  19. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, they're not exact fits by any means, but both seemed precocious talents, heading for bigger and better, sooner rather than later. It's still early days for him, but it seems he's dropped. That doesn't mean he still can't turn it around, and maybe that's exactly what happens in Belgium.

taylor repped this.
  20. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odegaard was an internationally recognized prospect playing very well in Norway as a young teenager. RM snapped him up.

I’m contrast, BL was never expected to be heading to any bigger or better things. He was just another nameless face at La Masia.

21. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  22. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
    Fantastic! Neither of his goals have been pretty, but it is great that he is getting himself in the right positions inside of the box. And based on the team sheets, he was one of the younger players in the starting XI. Hopefully he keeps it up and solidifies that starting spot. We might have to wait a while to see him again, though, as Gent's website lists that the next match for the U21s isn't until the 22nd against Lokeren.

It's also worth mentioning that there were some beautiful goals in that match. That Jossue Dolet kid could be one to watch.

25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been skeptical of his future but I hope he keeps it up and proves he wrong.

taylor and Tom Collingsworth repped this.