The Official Benjamin Galindo, Jr. thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Jan 21, 2019.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 xbhaskarx, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    This is from Joel Soria, so as close to official as it gets... and we know from his social media that he's already in San Jose.

The Quakes are about to sign 19 year old Mexican defender Benjamin Galindo Jr, the son of our assistant coach:
    Earthquakes set to sign Benjamin Galindo Jr.
    No problem with this move as long as he's being loaned to Reno and not taking up an international roster slot...

https://www.transfermarkt.com/benjamin-galindo/profil/spieler/552948
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamín_Galindo_Jr.

2in10 repped this.
  2. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I’ve not been at all impressed from what I’ve seen. I do not believe he has a good soccer mind.

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By all accounts was did not perform well at Chivas, but LigaMX is a high level and he's only 19, so let's see how he does in USL.

markmcf8, Boysinblue and bsman repped this.
  4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

His big mistake vs Veracruz:

5. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He plays right back, and at this time it doesn't look like he will be challenging Lima any time soon.

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Also, it’s a lot of pressure to play under the bright lights when your father was a legend. Paul Daglish was pretty good in Houston but not so much in the UK. Jordi Cruff was a fine player but not at the big clubs. I think Junior might be much better under less scrutiny.

bsman and Beckham7 repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah and Galindo Sr played like 21 years in Liga MX , played for the Mexican national team for 14 and was a great player. I’m sure Benjamin Jr will never be able to fill those shoes. Maybe playing in Reno will do him good.

8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Looks like he can pass long out of the back. He hit some nice 30-40 yard balls on target to bypass the midfield in the highlights

Boysinblue repped this.
  9. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, the Earthquakes these days are about as far as you can get from the bright lights of international football! I hope it works out for him and us, but I’m rather nonplussed by this signing.

10. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    #10 jeff_adams, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    To me, Galindo Jr at Chivas would be like Michael Jordon’s son at Chicago or Joe Montana’s at the 49ers. Almost impossible to live up to the expectations.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The Niners did give Montana's son a tryout form what I recall. I remember the De La Salle coach Bob Ladouceur telling Joe his son wasn't good enough to play HS football for them. I think that was when Joe and Jennifer Montana sold their ranch house/winery up in Napa Valley and moved down to LA.

12. sj_vanbasten

sj_vanbasten Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    But to be fair, I think plenty of coaches told Joe he was never going to be good enough to play for them ;)

markmcf8 and Boysinblue repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You mean Joe Sr? Yes he was like the 7th QB at Notre Dame but yeah he always came out on top.

As far as sons of superstars, like Enrico Chiesa, Diego Simeone and Patrick Kluivert who are in the Serie A but they are nowhere near their dads talent. the jury is still out on Timothy Weah and he was just loaned out from PSG tpo Celtic. Jonathan Klinsmann was also given a token job at Hertha Berlin but only because of his dad's connections. I doubt he will do much there. He may gain experience but other than that, good luck for an American born GK taking over a German one. He may have his citizenship papers and all but they still criticized from what I read saying he still has this "American lackadaisical" mentality and he probably will come back to MLS or the USL some time soon.

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not quite, as Joe Montana's (the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback) full name is Joseph Clifford Montana, Jr. ;)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]

-G

markmcf8 repped this.
  15. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder why they wouldn't sign him directly to Reno? Can international slots move around on a week to week basis by short term type loans? It seems like we have a horrible international slot problem.

2in10 repped this.
  16. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will take him and watch him grow hopefully. I think we are in need of a right back.

xbhaskarx and markmcf8 repped this.
  17. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't a loan do the same thing as a direct signing to us?

markmcf8 repped this.
  18. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way to keep him from using an international slot would be to give him a full-season loan to Reno, which precludes him from being called back for any MLS action. They did this with Paul Marie last year.

2in10 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  19. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks...I wonder why then they wouldn't sign him direct to Reno and then apply one of those tags that means Quakes have priority. I forget what that's called exactly. Or I guess the Quakes must have other plans regarding international slots. Maybe they're hoping to trade Tarbell for a couple of them :D

20. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no particular reason to believe he would be willing to sign a USL contract.

21. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    There may be benefits with a contract in MLS that he wouldn’t get with a USL deal. Plus the Quakes could sell him to another team if he’s doing really well in Reno. Or trade for an international slot if they get a good deal. How about Magnus for an international slot? ;)

22. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you guys provide specifics about what's wrong with a USL contract? I thought that teams like Atlanta and Cincy had done that to get rights to players ahead of their MLS teams being official and they were plenty good enough contracts to keep those players happy in the meantime. Are their constraints on what can be in a USL contract? I would have guessed that if anything they can be more freewheeling than MLS and it might even take away the omnipresent risk of trade.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't know but I'm thinking the main thing wrong with a USL contract is the amount oif money a player is making. I mean if a minimum MLS contract is like $54K I can imagine how much that league pays. Its no wonder that Stanford grad JJ Koval and Indiana's Tanner Thompson , (TT's brother) are all out of the game.

24. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last I knew if a MLS team loans a player to their USL affiliate the MLS team pays the wages of the player at the rate they agreed to for the MLS contract.

markmcf8 repped this.