Benfica vs Porto [R] 6th week, expect 65,000

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Briosa a frente

Briosa a frente New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    IMO the ball is in the net. but it is not a GOAL. both the referre and the Linesman are out of position to make a 100% certain call, therefore until the ref decides that it is a goal it not a goal. Move on. Everyone realises the only reason this is still a big issue is that it happened to Benfica. I'm SUre that if it was Beira Mar, Academica, Sp. Braga. we would of mentioned it a couple of times and moved on.

2. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    This is a no win situation. Porto fans will ALL say it wasn't a goal...Perspective this, angle that. Bla bla bla. Benfica fans will scream that we were robbed. I'm not even gonna bother because nobody wants to look at this objectively. The only thing I will say is that was the worse officiating I've seen in a long time.

3. Briosa a frente

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    Wrong any team can ask to go to the video replay in the NHL. but if the call goes against them then they may be assessed a delay of game.
    Also the request to go upstairs must be made before the puck is dropped.

4. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree. Officiating was bad both ways. Pepe a red card? Come on!

5. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    It's perfectly normal that this is only happening because it was Benfica. Same thing would've happened with Sporting or Porto. The other teams don't even get 2,000 people to watch their games, I doubt that there would be a big uproar among them.

6. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Good point about the shadows, but that particular picture makes it look like it's in. A better view from above would eliminate any doubt. Maybe it's time for netcams like they use in the NHL:

[​IMG]

Since there aren't as many goals in football, I don't see why they don't use video replay. It's annoying in hockey but I think it would be fine for soccer, since there aren't many occasions where a review would be needed.

7. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    So, the ball magically stays there floating until Baia can get his hand to it? In this crazy world there is a thing called physics. An object in motion tends to stay in motion.

I can garauntee you in the next frame of the picture the ball is completely over the line in the glove of Baia's hand who knocks it back out. Why? Because, well, an object, in this case the ball, moving forward will tend to stay moving forward.

How hard is that to understand?

It was a goal. It was hard to tell with the naked eye. The officials couldn't tell. They decided it was no goal. That's all there is to it.

What's so wrong about having Instant Replay to judge circumstances like this and ONLY CIRCUMSTANCES LIKE THIS AND NOT ANY OTHER ASPECT OF THE GAME?

8. deco_#10

deco_#10 Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Montreal
    Well More proof that the ball didn't go in. http://www.ojogo.pt/20-242/Artigo416632.htm

9. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  10. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
  11. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    also rumors that Benfica own's were and founded by benfiquistas

12. deco_#10

deco_#10 Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Montreal
    but they're the only ones that aren't pro benfica

13. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    they also say Record, belong to some sportinguista

Beira-Mar, Diario de Aveiro etc etc

14. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    almost made a mistake

15. metro fan

metro fan Member

Apr 29, 1999
    Union, NJ
    Actually O JOGOis owned by Olivedesportoes, which is owned by the Oliveira Brothers which controls most on the soccer in Protugal and very close friends of PC. They always defend Porto

16. Briosa a frente

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    Am I the only one that finds this absolutely ridiculous. Here you go the two top Teams in Portugal, and all that the supporters are crying about is poor little old me we are so picked on and all the chips are stacked agains us nobody defends us BLah blah blah. I believe that the conspiracy theorists would have a hey day with this.

17. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Somebody mentioned O Jogo as being pro-Porto? What about every other paper in Portugal that show their support of Benfica without shame? There's bias in the media no matter which part of the World you are in, but you gotta admit that picture of the goal in question was pretty strong evidence that it was not a goal. Anyway this is becoming a dead issue. I'm moving on.

18. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    FCP doesn't need pro-Porto newspapers when they have pro-Porto officials. ;)

19. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    this says all :D