Benfica vs Porto [R] 6th week, expect 65,000

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, Sep 29, 2004.

1. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOL are u blind or what??
    check Baia's hand

2. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    It's inconclusive.....The players and refs on the field are not watching the game through a T.V. screen are they??? For them it's like playing in the year 1930!! I don"t understand what point you are trying to make.
    Did it go in.....maybe!
    Can we do anything about it, NO!!!!!!!
    This is why Hockey and American Football have gone to video replay.
    But even on video replay the ref would not have called it a goal unless they had on overhead shot of the net. Looking at a ball in the air from the front and at ground level it is impossible to determine how far back the ball is. The only way to show that the WHOLE ball crosses the line is from an overhead shot - do you have one of those pictures????? Didn't think so. :D

3. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    A Bola's headline

FOI GOLO!
    Clássico manchado por erros de arbitragem
    [​IMG]

4. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Will you ever give up???? :D
    They need video replay. It cost benfica 3 points. What does it cost to put in a couple of video camera's and a monitor. 3000 Euros? Seems like a worth while investment to me.

5. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    i'm fckin' stubborn as Scolari :D

6. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I guess some sort of sensor like they have on tennis courts would probably do the trick. In all of pro sports we are taking the human ability to referee out of the game...hockey, American football, tennis, etc. have all gone to some sort of replay or device that referees, or aides the refs in some way, shape or form.

7. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    But much smarter.... :D
    You may be stubborn but you sure got to 1000 posts in a hurry!!!! LOL.
    Congrats DvA.

8. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    ....something has to be done. The goal cost Benfica Big time and changed the complexion of the superliga. Now Porto is knocking on the door and still haven't lost a game.

9. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    It as nothing to do with money. FIFA is the most conservative sports entity in the world, they are afraid of video replay because it will expose what ************ refs the federations employ. Until FIFA learns, there's nothing the league can do.

10. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    well , thanks mate :D

11. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Obviously....Sarcasm!!! ;)

12. deco_#10

deco_#10 Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Montreal
    Hey look at this!![​IMG] hhhm makes you think doesn't it? Pictures are 2 dimensional! impossible to tell if it went in.

13. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    Don't forget that Baia hasn't even got his hand to the ball in the picture, so it would go even further behind the line. Ridiculous....

14. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    From the referee's prespective he couldn't see if the ball went in or not, same as the linesman. In order for the liseman to see he would have to have been standing at the corner flag and even then the post would be in the way. Remember u can't call a goal unless ur 100% certain the ball was completly in the net and by watching the game live at first i couldn't tell if the ball went in or not. It took a few replays to convince me that the ball crossed the line referee's don't have the previlage of replay's!

15. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    And, this is why FIFA needs to implement an Instant Replay rule. Now, I don't want replays to decide wether or not a fould should result in a penalty kick or vice versa. There should also be no Instant Replay to determine wether a player was offside or not because this would slow down the game to no end. But, a questionable decision on such an important thing as a goal needs to have a system in place to determine that the calls are correct.

FIFA should set up and overhead camera like they use in the NHL to determine wether or not the puck has crossed the goal line. And, then in the rare occurance something like this happens, the official should go over to the fourth official on the sideline with the replay equipment available like they do in the NFL. It would take 5 minutes the most from the game. And, of course, the official would add the time at the end of the match.

Again, Instant Replay should be used only to determine questionable calls on goals. Because, if you think about it, how often does that happen? It's hard to believe that in almost 40 years since World Cup 66 between England-Germany that a system hasn't been put in place to correct these sort of things.

And, that's the end of this subject for me.

Geaux PSG!

16. deco_#10

deco_#10 Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Montreal
    This is the same picture that u guys showed b4 lmao!!

17. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Right, but that's before Vitor Baia slaps the ball out, which means the ball moves past the line before he got to it. It's a goal.

18. deco_#10

deco_#10 Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Montreal
    ...They probably tried to find a picture that showed the ball the furthest inside the net as possible. And slapping a ball away doesn't take a second. Anyway I'm not saying it is a goal but i'm not saying it's not a goal. I just want you guy to stop saying you were robbed. And see that the ref didn't not try to screw you guys over and anyone could have made that mistake.

19. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Not gonaa say what it actuall was but On that diagram the line goin through the ball starts on the inside of the far post and ends up on the outside of the near post :eek: , a little more controversy anyone?

20. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Great picture, Baía isn´t touching the ball yet, but the ball hasn´t crossed the line, no one can guarantee that when Baía touched the ball, the ball was already inside.

21. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    I don´t agree, do you know the implications of putting video replay in football? everything would change, then the teams would want video replay for every single thing that make them unhappy during the game, this would kill the game, i agree with someone that talks about some kind of sensor in the posts.

22. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    I don't think you understood what I was trying to say, but anyway... Are you familiar with the NHL? They have video replay but the officials are the ones that decide when they have to review something. You can't leave it up to the teams to decide or it would be hell. Either way, I'm against video replay, let's just get competent officials instead. ;)

23. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I hate to admit it..but it looks like a goal to me. The ball is about 1 foot passed the line and it's shadow is visible under the ball. Bad calls are part of the sport.

24. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Leafster the reason why it looks 1 foot pass the line is because of perspective. You needed a shot from the corner flag to be 100% sure.

The shadow is a non factor here, as stadium lighting is all arround.

The picture with the diagram (see earlier posts) is the best so far. Although still not conclusive, it is IMO enough to say that the ref had a reason to have doubts.

Now I will go look for a picture of the Seitaridis-Karadas penalty claims, cos in all the pictures I have seen so far not one shows Seitaridis hand on Karadas, rather the opposite.

25. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I have seen the picture with the actual diagram/measurements of where the ball is and it looks like it's not 100% past the line. As has been mentioned before, we will never truly know unless we have a good overhead picture of the goal line.