Benfica 2016 Summer Transfer Thread [R]

Discussion in 'SL Benfica' started by nbstriker8, May 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the confidence.

If Ederson can get his form back not sure GK is really an upgrade

2. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Not really confidence-related, I think it's pretty objective if you look at their squad. Beyond those three, they'd have a hard time getting any of their players into Benfica's XI. Patricio agreed isn't really an upgrade, just possibly a bit better given his experience.

nbstriker8 repped this.
  3. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Joel Campbell is a good player. But besides him you're probably more right than I was

4. nuno10slb4live

Jan 23, 2013
    New Beige, Mass.
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I wasn't really that impressed with Campbell, imo gelson is a better player and much more dangerous going forward. I also agree RV is a better coach and once he gets this team gelling Benfica will be the best team in the liga.

5. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Great news. Kid was starting Serie A games at the age of 17. Fact that he's a foreigner in Italy makes it even crazier.

7. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Great player and it probably means that Nelson Semedo is off to another club, it also get Drujcic off the wage bill.

8. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Looks like Lindelof to Man U is almost done. 45 Million but could go to 65 if targets met. Crazy money these days. Man U also apparently negotiated for Nelson but to leave after the end of this year.

9. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    What do you make of him ? I'm not convinced he's the top centre back they need

10. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Lindelof isn't a top defensive CB but he's really good on the ball. He's very comparable to a Vidic type player.

Anything over 25M is bonus money for us.

11. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    I dont think he is the CB that they need yet but I also think he is still improving and will be a top CB. CB take longer to mature in soccer. I do think he is on his way to being a top player. I think playing along side of our aging captain this year has been a challenge for him. He has had to cover for both at times. He will be missed. For his own good, I think it would have been better for him to stay and develop one more year at Benfica.

12. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    I think that is a little harsh . With young players you pay for how good they are now and how much better they will become.

13. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He and Jones are gonna be good together IMO and I hate united (normally, love JM though)

14. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Phil Jones is awful, Lindelof would be paired with either Smalling or Bailly

15. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Agreed on Phil Jones. Mourinho is just playing him and Carrick in order to support the "Mourinho makes mediocre players good" theory.

Mourinho always has a few mediocre players in his squad. He's a savage, i know how he works :)

16. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, agree to disageee

17. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United season turned around the moment Carrick was inserted to the starting XI. Not a coincidence

18. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #68 Sumol, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Carrick has just been a body. Not doing anything particularly good or bad, he's just there. It's more about Mkhitaryan & Zlatan. Pogba has started turning things around as well.

19. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, you're missing what Carrick is doing in the middle. Hes been a rock. Him being there is letting Mkhitaryan, Pogba and Herrera do their things a head of them. Hes not a trinco, and hes not a deep lying playmaker, but he's sitting in that hole and letting the skilled players play a head of him.

Watch him a little closer next time. Dude is balling out. Hes mourinho's Xabi

(Tbf I played as a number 6 so I watch that position more closely than most )

20. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Holy christ, if he was playing like that i'm sure i would have noticed that by now. In the middle it's really just been a collective effort.

We disagree.

21. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Idk I think your perception of Carrick is hindering your judgement.

22. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    As you've mentioned you could be watching him a little too much during the match because you've played in the position hence overrating his overall contribution to what the team gets to do up front. I've been watching them for awhile and the spine isn't perfect at all, but when they do look decent it's definitely a collective. Not one person stands out for me there.

23. KiarashM

KiarashM Member+

Mar 2, 2014
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
  24. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nelson Semedo will likely make a switch to Manchester United in the summer. Benfica want him to stay for the rest of the season before he's let go.

25. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think lindelof is off this window.

I'm drawing a blank, but have we ever sold to United? I know gaitan had rumors there for like 3 straight seasons. Seems to be something amiss with the relationship