Ben Olsen? (R) DC-NY/NJ

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by jd2084, Sep 13, 2002.

1. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last nights' DC-NY/NJ game was the first time I have seen Ben since he came back and watching I had mixed feelings about his play and I just wanted to see what other people though.

In the first half he looked a little out of it, missing a simple trap and miss hitting some easy passes. He also had a hard time on the dribble getting taken off the ball. This could have said more about the field and the play in general thought.
    In the second half he looked like a different player. Going by defenders and winning free kicks. Making good simple passes as well as looking for some ambitious long balls when the D sat back on him. The thing I noticed most about his play last night was his off the ball running. He clearly is a player who is/was/will be above and beyond most of DC's current cast. He made inventive little runs off of the ball and when making short passes was quick to move after, putting pressure on his man to follow. One play in particular was the one where Quintanilla took the ball from him in the corner. Although Ben didn't get the ball, I liked his run and thought that he was in a more dangerous position than Quintanilla on the play. I was disapointed when Q took it away from him.

Overall his performance leaves me with a lot of questions. Was his first half really that bad? Was it the field, or even the rest of DC that made it look that way? Was his second half that good? Will he be able to put together a solid 90 at a level higher than MLS.
    I'm anxious to get Ben back in the internation scene, he's got a lot of tools to offer.

2. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    he looked like an average MLS player. Nothing special either way.I must say that some kind of legend about Ben has appeared as if he was a very important player for the US. At his best, he was on the edge of the USA team. If he returns to health and form he will get a look, but any idea that he was a real impt player for the US is strictly wishful thinking or a bad memory.

3. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the time of his injury he had around 20 caps for the national team, and was only 21 years old. How many other players have that many caps at that age? He was in line to be a major contributor for the team.

4. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a little harsh don't you think? Olsen was MLS Rookie of the Year in 1998. He had 5 goals and 11 assists in 1999, helping DCU to win the MLS Championship. In 2000 he played 13 games, then went to Nottingham Forest on loan. David Platt, one of the greatest players in the history of English football, had a keen eye for Olsen and brought him aboard.

Olsen has 20 caps and 4 goals for the US, including the crucial 1st goal against Germany in the 1999 Confederations Cup.

When Olsen left MLS for England, he was one of the better flank players in MLS and was a mainstay in the US team. He was an important player, but certainly not a star. Since his injury, the level of the US team has risen, and he will have plenty of competition for a spot.

5. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I didn't get to see the whole game, but I did see most of the second half. I was obviously impressed with Benny.

By the sounds of it, a lot of his first half issues that you mention are probably due to rust. I mean, he hasn't even been back a full month yet. So I say we give him a lot more time before we make judgments as to whether or not he is quality.

That being said, I agree with what others said, 20 caps and 21 years old. He was really blossoming at Forest from what I saw of the highlights etc. and when he came back from Forest for USMNT duty he looked even better than before.

All in all, I would say he was a promising prospect. I hope he can overcome his injury problems.

Regardless of the merits of this discussion. Bruce will bring in Benny either way at some point. Hopefully he can perform well.

DMB on left, Ben on right, (2 of) JOB/Reyna/LD in center and Pablo/Armas at dmid gives us some fiesty defending wings, with good pace and quality in the center of the pitch. Exactly what we need for our 3-5-2 if we run it.

I think in time we will find that Bennie will be an improvement on who we might bring in at right mid.

6. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw his first game back, against the Quakes at Spartan Stadium.

He impressed the hell out of us -- dangerous the whole match.

Sometimes, the "rust" issue MLSNHTOWN mentioned seem to kick in the second or third game. It may be easier to get psyched up properly for one game, but physical and mental consistancy isn't so easy to come by.

In that first game he looked like hadn't skipped a beat.

7. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on last night's game, Olsen is nowhere near the player he was before the injury. He is not national team caliber for the moment. Could change.

However, Olsen received more playing time with the Nats than any Olympic-eligible player prior to his injury with the Nats, so that makes him an important player at the time in my book.

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    A mainstay... come on now. Stewart was a mainstay at that position. I wish Ben the best, hope he develops well.My point is, he was NOT a top national team player. Maybe he was on track to get there, maybe he still will. I hope so.

9. In your dreams. He was another Richie Williams style ankle biter only with a little more skill.

10. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Ben is getting back to 100% match fitness, but he still isn't there. I have noticed in the limited action he's had this season that he is playing smarter than in the past. Some of this is surely down to maturity as well as being out for so long that all he could do was soak in the game as an observer. I think that training and playing in the English 1st Division had to have helped his overall football intelligence, and that is showing in his play. He's a scrappy player, and that will probably never change.

Given the injury hell he's been through, just seeing him tear-assing up and down that diseased Swamp turf and generally pissing off Chrono, Mamadou (that was hilarious) and any of the few people there to watch, was heartwarming.

It also marks the re-emergence of some people's favorite conspiracy theory: Ben Olsen is no good and only makes it on to the National Team because he went to UVA.

;)

11. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    Plain and simple,

Ben Olsen certainly WAS that young hopeful American talent before his injuries. Anyone who says otherwise just hasn't been tracking American futbol (MLS or USNT). He was the young talent just before the emergence of Beasly and L Donovan. Similarly, I find it grossly unfair to make judgements about the guy when he has been out for so long. I say if he had a mediocre game then that actualy is pretty good for a guy thats been out for so long.

Don't kid yourselves. Ben Olson did have the talent and probably still does to have a stellar carreer. He is not that immediate impact player however he still has time to develop and was rather reliable when needed. I only hope him good luck and a speedy recovery to at least he pre-injury state.

12. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I totally disagree and I follow USA soccer as closely as anyone. Ben has talent but it was mainly his scrappy play, fighting spirit. His skills were and probably are limited. He is, in a way, an old school USA player. Lots of fight and hustle, limited skills. I remember several USA games when he was having problems trapping a simple ball. His specialty was aimless crosses banged into the box. The comparison with Donovan and Beasley is ludicrous, absolutely wishful thinking.

13. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas
    I think you also have to remember much of his reputation was built around his performances for the team before Landon, Beasley, Clint and probably JOB earned more than a handful of caps.

In my memory, Olsen represented a younger generation - he brought speed, of which there was none. And he had above average ball skills for the team at the time. He was a replacement for Cobi, who in my mind was turning in pathetic performances for the team in 98-2000 before he played with much better form leading up to and during the Cup.

So think now Olsen would not be considered nearly as much of a unique skill set to the 2002-2003 team that he was in 1999. The appearance of others on the sceen certainly have made it more difficult for Olsen to work his way back into the team, but it's at least a sign the quality and depth of our team has made such strides.

14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I'll agree with that. Well said.

15. Trojan

Trojan New Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Ben is not back to where he was pre-injury (and he may never be), but I will always love watching him because he is all heart.

The comments about him having new competition from guys like DMB and Donovan, in terms of speed and perhaps skill, are undeniably accurate. One thing Ben may bring to the table that those guys don't have, however, is his ability to drive opposing players NUTS. The long-time reactions from opposing players and fans instantly reappeared when Ben made his return. (See Big Mama's reenactment of scenes from Breakin' 2: Electric Bugaloo.)

Best of luck to Ben and our other midfielders.

--Biased DCU fan

16. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the game and I agree with the sentiment that he looked liked an average MLS pro. His passing was off. His runs were good, but his speed still needs a comeback. His grit and willingness to really grind at his opponants nerves was as evident as ever, but that ain't gonna get him back on the national team.

I think it is obvious that Ben needs the rest of the season and a good off season to build up his strength and match mentality. He won't begin to reach his previous form for another full season or so. If he ever does.

I personally don't feel there is much room for him on the national team at the moment, and if there is any it is on the right flank. I imagine he will get some looks, maybe even as early as this winter or coming spring, but until he really starts playing well I don't think we need him.

17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i saw Ben play against the Revs and thought he was pretty much a hack. He looks like capt caveman with that nasty beard. I was never a big fan of his and still not. I think he spent too much time watching Richie and now wants to play like him. I hope he gets out of that mode. Before he injury I liked his hustle but that was about it,,,did not think he was better than anything the nats already had.

18. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Let the guy get completely healthy. I would say he cannot be truly evaluated until next year. His touch has been off most games but he has shown some flashes. he has a work rate like no one else and has a way of making his teammates better.

19. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    In today's local (DC) papers, Ray Hudson puts him at about 60% fit, Sounds right to me. What's next for ben is if (when) he's going to England this winter.

20. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, it looks as though he is hasn't quite got that quick step back. He isn't close to being back at top form, his national team future won't be decided until the middle of next season.

For those who don't see any room on the national team (assuming he gets back to top form) I'm left wondering who you suggest plays on the right?

21. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Ben doesn't havet he burst that I remember from him. THat will be key to his nat future. We're changing to a speed team, and it would be great to have a fast player out there,, ripping down the wing. Stay tuned. .

22. goosegg

goosegg New Member

Jul 31, 2002
    NYC
    He looked pretty good tonight against Dallas. Although DC couldn't pull it off in the end he never gave up. He may be scrappy and look like he's part of Al Qaeda, but sometimes being relentless pays off. He reminds me of the way Korea played in the WC.

23. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Yea I echo this - he looked like everything to DC last nite. Without Benny, they would have lost in regaular time. He was running all over - even in the 100' minute. I was glad to see such a performance from him. I just hate that it happened on the last game of their season. I hope he gets some callups and maybe a loan over the next few months.

24. StingRay37

StingRay37 Member

Dec 4, 2000
    North Carolina
    He pissed off mamadu? Gee thats almost as hard as spinning agoos like a top. Olsen is an average player, he was so overhyped before he was injured, and while he was injured was hyped some more.

25. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Yes, he's so average he was starting for Nottingham Forrest, a team that would likely win the MLS title. He's far better than average by American soccer standards.