Ben Lederman at Raków Częstochowa (Poland)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Clint Eastwood, Apr 18, 2011.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link?

2. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw it on Twitter. Let me find it.

3. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't get that one to open, but found an alternative:

This Tuesday, FC Barcelona has received authorisation from FIFA for the final player from the academy that had no license to now be able to compete with his team in full accordance with current regulations. Having reviewed all of the information supplied by the Club in response to the new requirements made by FIFA in recent months, the single judge from the sub-committee on the status of players has authorised the registration of the player.

This means that all eleven cases of footballers from the FC Barcelona youth system whose licenses had been withdrawn by FIFA are now free to compete with their teams.

That last paragraph is really vaguely worded, but it looks like this case was about the *one* player and nothing new is in place about the other ones.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ussoccer97531 and hokeydokey repped this.
  6. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone heard anything about the Lederman family's possible filing of a lawsuit against FIFA?

7. yankthisyank'swank

Oct 13, 2010
    image.png

He dated who?

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  8. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking that's a joke.

A very good joke.

9. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I think it's a Freddy Adu joke of some sort who's Wikipedia say the same thing except 10 years earlier. It's weird that I knew that, but when I first got prescribed Adderall for my ADHD I used to marathon read Wikipedia for hours, so that could be it. I don't think Ben is eligible for a Wikipedia either having played professionally, and just by glancing at your screen cap there's more mistake than that.

ttrevett, wixson7 and Rebaño_Sagrado repped this.
  10. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Yes, it must be a Freddy Adu joke/reference. Plus Jojo is 25 so I doubt she'd be dating a 14-15 year old. Anyone can make/edit a wikipedia page. I just checked it and Ben's page is being considered for deletion.

11. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. I used to pass time between classes in college by going to the library and spoof-editing and creating wikipedia pages for fun and since it was on the universities comps/network there was no risk. In this case it was more than likely created by a family member or some sort of agent and the Jojo part added by someone else.

I used to also pass time in the library or computer labs streaming soccer games; I'd download all the necessary players required too. This was only 10 years ago and it was surprising how unsecured university computers were.

12. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Credit to OWTY for the spot.

13. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why doesn't this kid get more looks with our YNT?

14. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I feel like Seinfeld's "Even Steven" today. Lose one prospect from a major academy; get another one back.

Gacm32 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  15. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Beats me..I think he's kind of in between cycles. However, this type of situation is typical. USSF and the youth coaches are a bunch of dunces.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking... it took you until *now* to figure out you might have access to Polish citizenship?

17. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC

Right? as my thirteen y/o would say. But who knows. His parents probably originally got into this just trying to support their son and not really thinking they were doing anything wrong. Probably had no clue as to the intricacies of FIFA. The Polish citizenship thing also might not have been readily apparent and could be tied to post holocaust laws (speculation). But still...

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The parents have done a couple of things throughout the process that confirm they didn't always know what they were doing. Of course, Barca always knows right...

19. CaptainD

CaptainD Member

Oct 20, 2014
    My son, who has alot of interest in this topic in general, says that the twitter account that announced the passport is not an official account. Just a fan site. Has there been an announcement that is not tied to the La Masia @Youngcules tweet? Not saying that it's not in the works--just maybe not official yet.

Winoman and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  20. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's the original tweet in Spanish. Which is also not official, but seems to be a journalist.

21. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Great news. So now can we start freaking out about losing him to Poland?

22. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I'm not sure we need him in the grand scheme of things. Despite him being apparently (from US fans' perspective) valued by la Masia, I haven't seen anything to be really impressed by.

23. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fully fair, the original tweet does say that Lederman in the process of getting Polish citizenship, and "could" rejoin Barca.

Someone already pointed this out in YNT forum, but I forgot who.

24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Where have you seen him?

25. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    #400 Eighteen Alpha, Oct 29, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    Bradenton.

I am certainly not down on the kid. I just think, as a nation, we are past the point of freaking out when an odd prospect opts for another national team and similarly do not need to be unduly impressed by a kid in La Masia. Konrad, by contrast, has done some visible things at the youth level for club and country that tweak my interest. I think the Lederman family has gotten a raw deal and wish only the greatest success for Ben.

CaptainD repped this.