Belgium Thread?

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by MetroChile, Aug 10, 2003.

1. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Can somebody re-direct me to the Belgium thread/forum? I have not been able to find it, sry.
    I got a question regarding Belgian football, too:
    which belgian club was recently demoted to the lower divisions after going into liquidation???

2. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check out the Northern Europe section.

3. Forza AZ

Forza AZ New Member

Jun 26, 2003
    Alkmaar
    Quite a lot. In 2002 both RWDM and Eendracht Aalst were demoted to 3rd level. RWDM was even resolved completly and will start over again this season in the 8th level (lowest level). Aalst is promoted already again to the 2nd level.
    This year both Lommel and KV Mechelen were demoted to 3rd level. Lommel merged with an other 3rd level team (Overpelt) and is now called KVSK United.

4. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Belgium Thread?

The stuff you learn on Bigsoccer.

Thanks Forza AZ.

Hope your club's finances are doing well this season.

5. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Re: Re: Belgium Thread?

Thanks bro. Lommel is the one I was actually looking for (doing World Soccer Word puzzle lol)

6. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    What !!! did RWD Molenbeek die totally!!! Bruxelles second biggest team, a merger of Racing White, Daring Club and a third Traditional club.
    Racing Bruxelles with 6 Belgian championships and Daring with 5 Belgian championships and as RWDM Molenbeek a Championship in 1975 a institution in Belgian football.

And Lommel merged..... in 2 years time yhere will only be 3 teams left in the belgian league after the rest either merged or folded.

By the way Belgium must have the world record in number of Professional club mergers.

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are right about this. They merge like normal people get married.

8. Forza AZ

Forza AZ New Member

Jun 26, 2003
    Alkmaar
    RWDM was "dead" for 1 year. They've now started again at the lowest (=8th) level of Belgian football.

9. gerby

gerby Member

Jan 14, 2001
    South of Belgium
    Wrong ! they are now playing in 2nd division and is now called FC Brussels-Strombeek and has a pretty strong team (on paper).

10. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    But werent Strombeek a seperate team before?

Maybe they are RWDMs cultural successor but would you be able to call them the new version of RWDM? I mean would FC Brussel/Strombeek be considered as the side who won the belgian championship in 1975?

11. gerby

gerby Member

Jan 14, 2001
    South of Belgium
    That's right Strombeek already existed before.
    It's president agreed to cooperate with the people who decided to rebuilt the former RWDM under its new name FC Brussels.They hope to play in 1st division within 3 years.The games are played in RWDM former stadium Edmond Machtens.
    Its supporters are the same that supported RWDM and consider (for most of them) this new club the "new" RWDM.

12. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    Aha okay since the supporters consider FC Brussels as RWDM.

But the Name FC Brussels are perfect one can wonder why a city as Brussels only have Anderlecht(actuelly aren't Anderlecht playing in the city of Anderlecht?)

13. gerby

gerby Member

Jan 14, 2001
    South of Belgium
    That's correct.The name FC Brussels has been chosen to identify easier the club abroad has a club from "the capital of Europe".
    Anderlecht is playing IN Anderlecht has it's a suburb of Brussels.

14. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    Just like in Copenhagen, were they Had Brondby but no team with Copenhagen in, then they created a team called FC Copenhagen, so potential fans could identify the team as the Capitak team.

15. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Why is Belgium in the Northern Europe section anyway? They should be merged with the Holland section.

16. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    Hmmmm.... good question......