Belgium - anybody care?

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by panicfc, Mar 19, 2004.

1. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you guys know about Ronse?

2. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    Well I like Anderlecht...

3. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mons stay up despite defeat
    Saturday, 08 May 2004

RAEC Mons were thrashed 9-0 at home by second-placed Club Brugge KV on Saturday but avoided relegation as K. Heusden-Zolder and R. Antwerp FC both lost.

Despite the scoreline, Mons president Dominique Leone was in celebratory mood. "We lost heavily tonight but I do not give a damn," he said. "We are staying in first division thanks to the changes we made during the season - getting [coach] Sergio Brio here and half a dozen new players in the winter. That is all that counts. The club is financially sound and we are going on."

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Craziest game I ever saw. Every chance Brugge had was a goal. Half due to bad defending, half due to Brugge's superior quality up front. Well, mostly due to bad defending :)...

5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's pretty amazing.

What do you know about FC Brussels?

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Not a whole lot, just that it has been built on the ruins of some other clubs, including RWDM if i'm not mistaking. I also remember that Anderlecht wasn't all too keen on their resurgance at first.

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised to see them promoted already. WHat kind of attendance do they get?

I can imagine that Anderlecht wasn't too keen on the idea, but having a derby match could help attendance.

8. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
  9. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice article. What club do you like?

10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Nice article. I was 9 when Belgium lost to England in the 1990 WC and I still remember that game as the greatest injustice ever done to our team. We hit the woodwork 3-4 times and had the better of the chances and the play throughout the game, and then we get that joke of a freak kick awarded against us. The rest is history off course...

11. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Very good article. Maybe I should start supporting a Belgian club so there would be more posters here to discuss Belgian football.

12. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm leaning to Anderlecht because of the purpledynamite website.

13. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RWD Molenbeek folded after the 2001-2 season, and then some investors purchased KFC Strombeek, a club from a Brussels suburb that had just reached the 2nd division for the first time, and moved it to RWDM's stadium, with the intention of giving RWDM's fans a new club to support. Before this past season they changed the name to FC Molenbeek Brussels Strombeek, but they just use the name FC Brussels. I don't know how much attendance they get. worldstadiums.com lists the capacity as 12,430.

Brussels' oldest club, Union Saint-Gilloise, which won 11 championships prior to WWII but has been in the lower leagues for decades, has just won promotion to the 2nd division.

15. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Noah, how did you come about all this great info?

16. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice Belgian site in English....well sort of.

17. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've done a lot of searching for info while following the career of Earthquakes board legend Yves Buelinckx, who played for Strombeek/FC Brussels in 2002-3, so I've learned a little bit about the Belgian 2nd division in the process.

I just found about Union today as I stumbled across them while searching for FC Brussels' stadium capacity. They have English content on their website www.rusg.be .

18. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Here in the USA I've been a DC United supporter since MLS began. I also follow the Mexican league, where I support Monterrey, who must be setting some sort of record this year with 12 draws in 18 games.

I know the basics about the Belgian clubs, although I haven't had the chance to follow the league closely yet. But I always pick a new league to follow every year, so next time out I'll go with Belgium.

19. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice work Noah and thanks for the link.

20. gerby

gerby Member

Jan 14, 2001
    South of Belgium
    gohb, your article is brilliant ! Are you a journalist ?

21. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Hey, thanks for the kind words. I'm an English professor at a small college in Pennsylvania, USA. But I'm also a lifelong soccer fanatic, and I've been writing for Jan Alsos' website Planet World Cup (www.planetworldcup.com, formerly World Cup Archive) for a few years now. It's tremendous fun, and you find yourself in contact with great people all over the world.

22. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Hi,

I'm a Belgian, so if you have any questions about Belgian soccer...
    Kompany is a great talent indeed. Some say he's the biggest Belgian talent in 30 years. Anderlecht now also has a 16-year old player who is becoming a first team regular, Anthony Van den Borre, just like Kompany also half Congolese. Another name to keep an eye on is Aruna Dindane, a striker from Anderlecht who made a laugh out of the Bayern Munich defense in the Champions League earlier this year.
    A talented midfielder is Jonathan Blondel, who was transferred from Tottenham to F.C. Bruges in january.

Westerlo is rather a local club that works together with Chelsea and Feyenoord to get some Africans that don't get a work permit yet in the Uk or Holland. Their league position is generally ok.

R. Antwerp F.C. is another team that cooperates with an English club: Manchester utd. However, they didn't perform too well this year and are relegating.

FC Beveren is a peculiarity in the world of soccer. Beside of their agreement with Arsenal to exchange players (at present Igor Stepanovs, before Graham Stack) they mostly bring a whole team of Ivorians on the pitch. They are really talented and come from a soccer school from Jean-Marc Guillou, a French guy who once played professional soccer.

The best teams in Belgium are Anderlecht, Bruges, standard lieges and rc Genk.

I'm sorry for the long reply, wanted to be brief but I got carried away.

Grtz

23. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Tomo.

Which team do you support?

What do you know about Ronse?

24. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    If Bruges are supposedly supposed to be one of Belgiums best teams well for what its worth they were beaten rather easily this year by a very average Bordeaux team.

25. ADO Den Haag

ADO Den Haag Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Funny thread title! :D