Belgian Player of this past year

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by PDG1978, Dec 1, 2017.

?

Best Belgian Player of period Dec 1st 2016 to Dec 1st 2017

Poll closed Jan 1, 2018.
  1. Eden Hazard

20.0%
  2. Kevin De Bruyne

80.0%
  3. Other (please specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Considering let's say the period 1st December 2016 to 1st December 2017, who do you think has had the better year?

Performances in all competitions can be considered, so domestic cups as well as the Premier League, plus continental competition and also International games for Belgium. So it's not a matter of deciding who might be the Premier League's best player (so no discussion of the likes of N'Golo Kante, Christian Eriksen or Harry Kane is necessary), and although the judging period ought to be similar it's not a matter of discussing the Ballon d'Or, so we can keep Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, and Neymar, out of it this time and just focus on comparing the Belgians.

I guess it seems obvious to say at half-way Hazard had the edge, and De Bruyne does in more recent months, but overall?

Due to the way I'm titling the thread I'm adding an option to the poll for a different choice that you can then specify in the thread, but I'm assuming it's fair enough to consider it a competition between these two, considering the aforementioned great form of Hazard for at least half of it, followed by similar for De Bruyne.

2. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Juventus Football Clube Ajax Mineiro de Deportes
    Jun 11, 2012

Movement, kicking but lacks refinement for alltime consideration.

Now for Hazard

3. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Juventus Football Clube Ajax Mineiro de Deportes
    Jun 11, 2012

Hazard has more refinement but his decision-making is worse. Perhaps, if he had more speed on the flank or more vision in the center, his choices would be easier.
    Hazard leaves the impression that he has more potential than de Bruyne but the latter is on, with more energy and quicker plays.

So my pick here is de Bruyne.

4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    (I had already watched the video before it was deleted, showing indeed some very misplaced passes at times; which even the best have to be fair)

Well, both would not be half the player without the physical attributes they have. Hazard his attributes are more prone to injuries (and recovery issues) and his career has also shown that so far.

My pick is De Bruyne for this year because he has been better at the Champions League level this year and is more important (tends to play better) for the national team. I also think in his role he is the better player while Hazard can be diminished as a poor man's version of Neymar or poor man's Messi. The Lorenzo Insigne without goals.

De Bruyne is in his job and role higher up in the food chain I feel. In this period a relatively unique player. He has something that for example the Spanish legion of attacking midfielders do not have (scoring prowess, for one). He doesn't look very polished at first sight, can misplace his actions, but has a very varied skill set. It's partially subjective but I feel he's a relatively unique midfielder in his time (at the top level; the top ~20 clubs).

Obviously he is now 'lucky' to play for a Manchester City on fire, but for a time it was the other way round with KDB doing his thing at Wolfsburg (10 goals without pens, 20 assists with only 3 from a set piece in 34 games) but Hazard at the more favorable circumstances.

5. TotaalVoetbal

TotaalVoetbal Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Porto
    #5 TotaalVoetbal, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    How the hell can De Bruyne be better when Hazard carried his team to the Premier League title, is significantly better for Belgium & is the most in form player in the Premier League on current form? It's not even close lmao.

Can't believe someone claimed he plays better for the National Team. Like what? Hazard was easily better in the Euros.

Also, Hazard has arguably been the best player in the Champions League this season & has already destroyed Roma & Atletico early on.

His decision making is literally one of his best attributes hence why he's been given a free role by Conte & is tearing teams apart at the moment.

Hazard is Chelsea's system, De Bruyne is just a cog in Pep's system. It's a no contest.

6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Over the last year I think De Bruyne shades it. He's been staggeringly good this season so far, particularly in the time that Hazard was out injured.

Hazard is exceptional and when he is in form Chelsea are a transformed team but De Bruyne's passing has been sensational and decisive. Based on this season so far he's been the second best player in Europe.

7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Both made an impressive and useful start to December I 've noticed.

I'm not against people voting on the past year at the time of their vote potentially, if it was preferred to take into account current form too.

8. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    There is of course the danger for selectiveness, but to illustrate my own thoughts;

According to transfermarkt (with their wide assists criteria, favors the strikers and forwards) Eden Hazard has 22 assists and 21 goals in 82 games for the national team. This is a total that includes 7 penalties.

De Bruyne has 24 assists, 13 goals in 58 games for the national team. This is a total that includes 2 penalties. He is thus more productive while more of a midfielder.

I also think he has done more against the better opponents (of the 1st tier and 2nd tier). He has been more productive for sure (takes time to spell out but no doubt about this). Both competitively and in friendlies. De Bruyne his marquee game came against an opponent of one or two tiers higher (the USA).

The qualifying group for 2018 was very easy.

WhoScored gives De Bruyne a higher rating but I agree Hazard was better and against Hungary crucial for advancing a round further. Maybe they had already crashed out a round earlier without this performance.

De Bruyne was better at the 2014 qualifiers, the main tournament and the 2016 qualifiers. 2018 qualifiers are hard to judge because it was an easy group (Bosnia, Cyprus, Estonia, Gibraltar, Greece).