Belgian Olympic team

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Glenn_69, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Glenn_69

Glenn_69 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Berchem
    hey guyes, who do you think should be selected to go to the 2008 olympics?

In goal we've got some very good options, such as Bailly, Vebauwhede and recent devil Ma-Kalambay.

Another option people might foget about is Kenny Steppe, who's having a hell of a season with Beerschot.

In defense we've got the luxury that Kompany is underage, I think Vermaelen should be posted next to him in central defense.

Other defenders wich could qualify for a OT spot would be: Gillet, Poco, Lombaerts, Ciman, Vandelanoitte, Martijn Montanye.

Our midfield is just insane, Dufour, Fellaini, VD Borre, Vertongen (he could also play defense), Haroun and De Mul, Overmeire, Witsel,

It was only players born in '85 and later who can go (+ 3 others), so unfortunately Maarten Martens Can't go :(

As forward I think we could might have one of the best attacks in the tournament with Dembele and Mirallas.

De Sutter and De Smet are good to, just as Legear.

As our overage players I think we've got some good options as wel, Personaly I would take one player per line: Van Buyten, Geraerts and either Sonk or Sterchele.

What do you guys think?

2. homerun

homerun New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Will the RBFA postpone the Jupiler league opening day to September?It was said the KNVB will does so to Eredivisie for preparing the Olympic Games.
    Who will be the 3 over age players?Is Wilmotz still playing?

3. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    the league will be postponed by a week or two. Can't remember how long exactly.
    I agree with your summary, althought there is no way in hell that Geraerts is coming along. He sucks donkeyballs. Same goes for sonck or sterchele.
    Kompany, De Mul, Vandenborre, Mirallas, Dembele, Defour, Fellaini, Pocognoli, Lombaerts should definitely be in the team and I don't think the coaches are disagreeing with that.

4. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    no, wilmotS isn't playing anymore ;-)
    he retired about 4 years ago

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So, the fact that the three players you claim suck donkeyballs all play for Brugge is just a coincidence, right? :rolleyes:

I'd never call for the likes of Vanden Borre and Kompany to be banned from the NT just because they used to play for Anderlecht, but I guess pettiness is a common trait with all Anderlecht fans.

6. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    No, it's just insane bringing up names like sterchele or geeraerts.
    They may be the only players you see every week, but you can't argue that players like Emile Mpenza or Mudingayi would do far much better.
    You see for yourself how badly brugge is playing, they're team is just very, very mediocre. And we'll need quality to compete at the olympics
    I don't want to diss brugge or their players, but you have to be honest, i wouldn't want to see Van Damme or Legear at the Olympics, cause they suck

7. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Countdown to bejing begins ;)

We'll be playing Brazil (fantastic!), China (nice to play the hosts) and some lesser rated team (New Zealand?)

8. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    We should easily qualify if we send our best players. Brazil is out of our league but we should take 2nd place rather easily. New Zealand is nothing and the only tricky part about China is their homecourt advantage.

9. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    they do have Tao Chen => fantastic player

10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The game against China will be crucial. If we can get a win there, I do believe that the second round isn't out of our reach.

11. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Belgian Pre selection:
    (for stage in Malta)

Goalkeepers:
    Logan Bailly (Genk) ,Yves Ma-Kalambay (Hibernian), Kenny Steppe (G.Beerschot)

Defenders: Laurent Ciman (Charleroi), Sepp De Roover (Groningen), Landry Mulemo (Standard) ,Sébastien Pocognoli (AZ) ,Jeroen Simaeys (Club Brugge), Jason Vandelannoite (Bursaspor), Anthony Vanden Borre (Genoa), Jan Vertonghen (Ajax)

Midfielders:
    Tom De Mul (Sevilla), Marouane Fellaini (Standard), Faris Haroun (Genk) ,Vincent Kompany (Hamburg SV), Jonathan Legear (Anderlecht), Maarten Martens (AZ), Kilian Overmeire (Lokeren), Vadis Odidja Ofoe (Hamburg SV), Axel Witsel (Standard)

Forwards:
    Stijn De Smet (Cercle Brugge), Moussa Dembele (AZ), Roland Lamah (Roda/Anderlecht), Sanharib Malki (G.Beerschot), Kevin Mirallas (Lille),Guiseppe Rossini (Utrecht/KV Mechelen)

Remarkable: Steven Defour will very likely stay home this summer. Teams in the CL will have a max of 2 players in the final Olympic selection. Players not in this pre selection can still make the final selection.

12. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
  13. urubelga

urubelga New Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Montevideo
    :eek: