Belgian football, beer, chocos, food thread [Results as needed]

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by panicfc, Dec 31, 2008.

1. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay so I haven't been to Belgium in 8 years. This sucks. I moved to Alabama - where the Belgian beers are against the law (dumb ass laws). So I drove to Nashville and got myself

4 Duvel
    1 big Chimay
    2 Krieks
    2 Framboise

Tonight, at least two of these will be drunk, and depending which two, I'll probably have a solid buzz going.

So the football part.

Anderlecht - easiest team to follow in Belgium. Although I've never seen a game live, I do like the club, was there for their Champions League win over Lazio. Was given misinformation that we couldn't get tickets, but the place had plenty of space. Dig the purple. Plus having the English site is wicked nice.

Club Brugge - one way cool city. Just sold a CB shirt on Ebay. Have the Yank over there, which is cool

Gent - looks like a nice city, uniforms are alright.

Standard - not a big Gooch fan, club seems alright - maybe after he goes.

chocos - I need some chocos. Should ask my friend in Brussels to send some over

Waffles - damn. I really need to get to Belgium

Frites - farge. This is a freaking lovefest.

Mussels - only had them in Brussels, place near St Katherine's square. Damn good stuff.

I've always thought that Yank players would do well in Belgium, but we've really never seen any but Gooch.

2. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    yea cool... so what is the point of this thread? :rolleyes:

Really? thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard

3. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point - just a place to post about footy, beer, chocos, food, etc. Sort of a catch all thread.

I miss Belgium, so this is to help me get by.

I think the site about Alabama's beer laws is www.freethehops.org

4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know New York is exactly the same thing as Alabama (they are both in the US, right?) but there is a great Belgian place I go to every time I visit NYC. La Petit Abeille is on 1st ave and 20th st http://www.petiteabeille.com/ and a couple of other locales.

They have all-you-can-eat mussles--about 5 differetn types, including Moules Grande-Mere--every week, plus a huge selection of Belgian beers. The post the Jupiler League tables and there are Belgian articacts everywhere, including a ton of Tintin cartoons. Some of the waitstaff even speak French, and maybe some even speak Vlaams as well.

If you are ever in New York, even if it is for a quick stop, this place is worth a visit!

5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish you had said something about this in the previous six years ;)

While I lived in CT I had access to the Belgian beers, but the mussels and atmosphere would have been great.

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I've only known about the place for the past couple of years. I used to go to NY for work a fair amount, but now my company closed down the office and moved everyone they didn't lay off to Pittsburgh, so I won't be going there unless it's for other reasons.

If you ever get to NY, I highly recommend the place. I need to find a similar place in Boston...

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a place in Philly called Monk's (I think) - beeen a few years. Waiter corrected me for saying "DOOOvel" and he said "DuVul" - i stated that I was using the French pronuciation. He had no idea what I was saying.

8. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone in Belgium want to be "a guy" and send me some dvd's of Belgian football matches?

I want to see how the level is, doesn't matter, Anderlecht, cup matches, 2nd division - whatever.

Happy to paypal some money for expenses.

9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DuVELL would be the French way of saying it, but DOOO-v'l would be the Flemish way. There is a reason that beer is named after the old Flemish word for Devil, because if you have a couple you will have a hell of a hangover the next day! :eek:

10. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Trust me - I know all about it ;)