BeInSports 2016-2017 Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by EvanJ, Jun 28, 2016.

1. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005

Correct as for the DVR. And as for the programming, what bothers me is that they spend the week showing delayed matches from the weekend when there are live events to show, but beIN shows them live only on Connect. Matches like French Cup, Polish Cup, Swiss League, non-PSG French League, and even non-soccer events from handball to tennis are live on Connect, while the TV channels show 3 to 4 day old matches because they are from the Spanish and Italian Leagues.

2. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    The only reason I see as to why beIN shows the same matches on delay rather than ones that were live only on their Connect platform or from less followed leagues is ad revenue structure. The delayed repeats often get no more than 5-6,000 viewers, which I would like to think would equal first showings of say, Swiss League matches or non-PSG Ligue-1 matches. But perhaps advertisers are promised x number of exposure minutes for "top team Serie A matches". Exposure during football matches is limited as it is because of the nature of the sport. Showing the same ads during repeats of these games could be part of the package to show an ad those x-number of times. It would explain why Polish, Swiss and other matches are not shown as no ads associated with those leagues have been sold. So you can say to an advertiser: "We will put your ad during a live broadcast of a PSG match that will bring 30-40k viewers and show the same ads in 3 additional repeats of the match". That would certainly be an easier sell than trying to sell ads to a match that will bring in 3-4k viewers on its first showing. Those ad seconds are basically worthless.

This is only a theory. I have no experience in advertising selling or broadcast tv. Like everybody else, I am all for wide varied content on a channel but if we view beIN mainly as a business that lives and dies by advertising revenue (unlike say, ESPN which generates revenue not only via ads but by subscriber base) there is some logic behind this madness.

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

EvanJ repped this.
  3. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I love the Swiss Super League. I follow it religiously. I watch matches every week through streams. I can assure you that you could count on two hands the number of people in America who care about, let alone watch, the Swiss Super League. The Super League isn't even the most watched league in Switzerland. I'd love it if a network showed the Super League on TV, even delayed, but they'd literally only be catering to me and about 7 other people. It's just not good for business.

4. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll watch almost any league if it's live and in HD.

5. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Hearing a guy on this Barca/Osasuna broadcast. Think he has an Irish accent, but not 100% sure as I've gone to the Spanish audio. Giving hot takes like he is at a table opposite Skip Bayless. Brutal. Phil Schoen sounds openly annoyed. Keep hiring people with no clue.

6. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bigtw64 repped this.
  7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes it look like Barcelona and Motoamerica Atlanta are on beIN Sports at the same time.

8. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Grr they aren't showing Inter-Napoli.......damn Tennis

9. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Been having the following issue with bein connect for the last few weeks on one laptop and now the same thing is happening on another one. Hopefully one of you guys can help.

I am a longtime user of bein connect. I watch it on both my laptop as well as my brother's. The issue I will describe below first started occurring on my brother's laptop a few weeks ago.

He has a 2013-14 ASUS laptop. We would go on Mozilla, as we had in the past, pick a match to watch, and we'd get a message prompting us to download "Microsoft Silverlight" - this after having downloaded it before. Regardless, we would download it, hoping that that fix would do the trick and thus we would be able to enjoy Bein Connect. No such luck, as Microsoft Silverlight notifies us that it is already installed.

So you have bein connect telling us we need Microsoft Silverlight in order to watch it and then once we try to run/install we are told it is already installed.

Having done all of this, I also deleted the history on the browser, and I also did a re-start. Neither did the trick.

Please advise. What is the issue?

Also, as a sidenote, I did not have this issue on my laptop (Asus 2015) but started to this very morning, May 7th.

Regards.

Mods: feel free to move this post accordingly.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Wish I could help but I gave up on the PC connect months ago.

I just use the old IOS and Android apps (The ones you cannot download in the app stores anymore.).

Maybe I will do some tinkering on my old laptop when I get home to see what I can figure out.

11. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I believe it's an update issue. My work computer has been doing this as well. But it gives an option to "run one time" in the status bar that pops up at the bottom of the page.

My home computer did the Silverlight update and hasn't had any issue.

Thx,

Jay!

12. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    They've got the same EFL Lg 1 second leg on 5 & 6. Fleetwood/Bradford is supposed to be on 5, but both have Scunthorpe/Millwall.

EvanJ repped this.
  13. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    The app is in the shitter. On my iPad I was getting 2017 news, 2016 tables and no choice of tv schedules/streams. Deleted the app and can't find it to re-download! Downloaded a new/different? Beinsportsconnect app, can't log in because max number of devices now. I guess I have to figure that out from my laptop. Stay tuned...

Tha,

Jay!

14. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Got the new app to work. It sucks compared to what it was before, in terms of layout, easiness on the eyes, etc.

So their OSG info submitted to DirecTV and their own website shows a replay of League One Millwall vs Scunthorpe on the main channel. Turns out to be Huddersfield vs Shef Weds from earlier this morning. I guess anyone actually looking for Championship playoffs wouldn't have thought the game would be on the main channel today. Poor. Poor. Poor!

Thx,

Jay!

bigtw64 repped this.
  15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    When BeIN is covering about 5 soccer matches at the same time, as they were yesterday afternoon, it really highlights the dearth of broadcasting talent they have. Never again will I complain about Phil or Ray. Oh man, that was hard to listen to!

16. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    They are really limping to the finish line this season. Again makes me wonder what's in store for the network in the US. More of a focus on tennis, motor sports, college in an effort to become viable?

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Since their inception BEIN has stated that they want to be a global sports network (as opposed to just a soccer network).

As I mentioned in another thread the reason why they prioritize Tennis and Motor sports over soccer is because of the Qatar sponsors having stake in those events and/or those events are taking place in Qatar.

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    They can say what they want, the fact is that soccer is the *only* sport that they have rights to the top level leagues/competitions. They have no real traction for any other sport. They fill their channels with tennis coverage but when the French Open or Wimbledon rolls around it’ll be on some other channel. Ditto for top events in motor sports, rugby, US college sports, etc.

daniloni repped this.
  19. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    No replay of today's Monaco-St Etienne title clincher. I'm sure we'll have the PSG shoved at us this weekend as well.

20. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
  21. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Thanks. I swear I checked last night and didn't see it.

22. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks for the spoiler!

23. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I sense sarcasm but just to be clear, I posted before the game convinced Monaco will get a needed point.

24. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't if Art Deco was being sarcastic. He's complained about spoilers before.

25. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    That's correct. It's right there in one of the stickies at the top of the board, no spoilers. Lovac could have just as easily left out the words "title clincher" and conveyed the same information without giving away the result.