Being Michael Edwards: Summer Transfers 2018

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by dcc134, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Summer Business Options

1. Karius #1, Ward #2, and 60M to 90M spent in the midfield/defense

15 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. Allison/Oblak #1, Ward #2 and no extra money for midfield/defense

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  1. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So its February 2018, you've just sold Coutinho, VVD has come in, Klopp has binned Mignolet, Can hasn't signed a new deal, Keita is on his way, Karius has saved some shots.

You have a 250M budget. We are in the CL group stage. What do you do in the summer?

1) Do you roll the dice on Karius continuing to improve, can be the long term #1 and use the 60M to 90M it would take to get Allison or Oblak to rebuild the midfield/defense with world class players:

or

2) Do you give Can what he wants to stay, continue with existing options in midfield/defense (with Keita coming in) and spend what it takes to well and truly solve the GK position for the next 10 years.

How good does Karius have to be in the next 2 months to convince you to go with option 1?

2. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    When he stops making me hold my breath every time someone whips in a cross.

We've set the bar so low for Karius that his recent "performances" have impressed us all (myself included) but they're really nothing different from what Migs was doing not so long ago.

never walk alone TPK repped this.
  3. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    What are we doing the rest of the 160M in your presumed budget if we sign Oblak for 90?

4. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm buying another front 4 player and new #6 for 120-140m combined regardless of any other business. If we go Oblak, I'd be looking for a 20 to 40m CM to partner VVD. Klavan goes. If Can stays, Keita comes in and I'm moving Hendo and Lallana on. Milner gets one more. If Can goes, Hendo gets another season. Origi back in, Studge out. Clyne back in, Trent to midfield.

If we can get Allison for 60m, I'd probably take that option and spend upwards of 80M on each of the front 4/#6 players and get better quality there. Do the same with the rest of the squad.

If we stick with Karius, I'm adding moving Moreno on and upgrading at LB, and either going for another CM to push Gini to the bench and Milner out of the squad or another striker upgrade on Origi.

5. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I definitley wouldn't move Lallana anywhere.

6. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll be 30/31 next year. He has a worse injury record than Sturridge and has missed 50% of games through injury during his time at LFC. He is on decent money and we'll be able to con a mid-table team to give us 25-30M for him. And that is all before we get to his fairly mediocre production.

Take that money and give it to someone younger, fitter and can actually contribute to the team.

newterp repped this.
  7. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that player must be mobile and willing to run as well.

8. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Lallana (when he is fit), but I can't disagree with any of this.

9. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Central midfield is a must. The way Spurs battered us in the second half was chastening. We need players who are not afraid of the ball and can hold onto it to give us some control in games where it is needed. Keita is coming but we need another two bodies there. Not convinced by Lemar, and certainly not for £90 million touted; glad we’re reportedly looking elsewhere.

And then, of course, the goalkeeper. Mignolet has been here long enough for all to see that’s as good as we’re likely to get from him and no more. It’s not his fault but we’re not going to win anything with him between the sticks and he feels he is good enough to be a number one somewhere else. Karius has more or less a free run to convince but I’d be wary of Oblak who thrives in a defensively set up team like Atlético. Interesting also that we’ve quietly shunted aside Achtberg as goalkeeping coach. Been long time incoming, I’d say.

Finally, striking options— Sturridge is gone one way or the other so we need another one not just to spell but actively compete with Firmino. There are a couple of good sprogs but some way yet. And what of Ings?

Over you, Mr Edwards.

ryered repped this.
  10. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Striker is definitely interesting. Right now there is a pretty big drop from Firmino to anyone else in the squad, but that has as much to do with Firmino raising his level as anything else. Anyone we get in is likely to be a backup, so the question is whether that money worth spending or do we simply bring Origi back in. He's shown he can produce for us and give something different, plus I have a shirt with his name on it, so I'd be in favor of giving him another season to see what he could do.

I suspect Ings will be getting a start soon, so we'll see what he's got. At a minimum he potentially could be effective running around at the end of games to save Firmino's legs.

I watched a bit of the U23 game Solanke started last week. I like him, but he really needs to strengthen up and learn to use his size. He was repeatedly easily moved off the ball.

I wonder how far off Brewster would have been if not for his injury? Hopefully he can make a good recovery and I'd expect he'd be looking at some first team minutes towards the end of next season.

11. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yup. Getting the MF sorted is the most urgent need at this point. Karius performance over the remainder of the season will dictate our strategy with new keeper prospects. And yes another striker is needed, obviously one that nicely fits into Klopp's system. If that's not available we go with what we have, including the yoots.

12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    looking ahead to 2020-ish, I'm really hoping we see more of Woodburn next season, to prep him for a bigger role the season after.

of the current squad he is imo the natural successor to Lallana but he is still a kid (19 in October this year) and needs to be developed cautiously. if he can stay healthy, get minutes appropriately and build up his experience and physique he could be a hell of a player.

13. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think the answer is not to buy a center forward. Klopp will look for more versatile forwards like Mane and Salah who can play anywhere in the front 3. If Firmino was injured or rested, Salah and Mane could both thrive playing through the middle.

ryered and Red Bird repped this.
  14. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. Its a shame he didn't end up going on loan. He needs games. Hopefully he starts getting some soon.

15. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be on board with this.

16. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree— seemingly a dedicated centre forward like Lukaku or Benteke isn’t to Klopp’s liking.

17. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It also does nothing to add to the depth of the squad. They would just find themselves on the bench 90% of the time when Firmino is playing. We need someone that can play anywhere in the front 3 so that we can rotate the players without seeing a drop in quality.

Does Bailey from Leverkusen fit this description? Have not seen much of him. What you think of Zaha at Palace?

18. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zaha's form has dipped horribly after a couple of good months to start the season (yes he played well in the City game too). Only played 20 games this season and 4 goals and 1 assist in the PL.

19. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumblings this afternoon that we trying to finalize a deal for Allison now for 62M. I fully support this.

20. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    62(!)M

21. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    and creative..

if Lemar is really on the way in, then I don't mind so much.

22. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Now the reports say that we have ended our interest. I think it makes sense to at least say we are not interested in a keeper for now. Ever since being named number 1 Karius has performed well. If we agreed a deal for Allison that would only ruin Karius’ confidence, and we need him in good form for the rest of the season.

imasyko repped this.
  23. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Karius was brought in because we all could see the weaknesses in Mignolet's game but it's taken him and us a while to see him given an extended run. And that is what we need before we spunk money on another goalkeeper. I do wonder how much of that is to do with the [seemingly] shunting aside of the goal-keeping coach? After a while you start seeing a common denominator, nice chap Achterberg may be.

24. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see:

Another dynamic midfielder with some defensive nous and another attacking mid (to add to Keita).

Another attacker/winger to help rotate the Mane, Firmino, Salah trio. Ings and Solanke are fine as deep backups. I’d rather bring Origi back. Sturridge is done.

After that it’s up in the air. I expect OX to improve further under Klopp. I expect Woodburn to see some time.

I also am very cognizant that Henderson (28) and Lallana (30) are being asked to play in a very high energy pressing game. They also get injured a lot. Also Milner will be 33. Gini is also going to be 28.

ryered and Red Bird repped this.
  25. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Can you send those musings to Michael Edwards, with an emphasis on quality and upgrades?

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.