Being an American no longer a handicap in Europe

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by bharreld, Mar 7, 2019.

1. bharreld

bharreld Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Westlake, OH
    It seems like this kind of changed overnight. I wrote something to sort of examine that. Check it out if you’ve got a couple minutes to spare.

American Canary, German Coal Mine

Centennial and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i would say in europe as whole it basically still is...but in some countries it is not like germany......

in italy, portugal, spain, france england (because of work permit rules not bias), it is still a huge handicap....

3. bharreld

bharreld Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Westlake, OH
    I’ll give you the work permit thing, but at this point I think most teams in Europe would love to have an American aboard. Scotland looks like the next to really take the plunge to me.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    portugal spain france italy NO WAY - but other countries, sure.

unfortunately those are some of the best soccer countries in europe...

and UK isnt really europe to me anyway....

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is to me and I'm English.

LouisianaViking07/09 and bharreld repped this.
  6. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Yeah, until we see Americans starting in La Liga, Ligue 1, and Serie A I don't think we've reached worldwide respect.

For the longest time Americans have been viewed as bargain players who will work hard without the same level of technical quality that the rest of the league has. Has that really changed? The article seems to say yes but I'd like to see examples of technical players we're producing in Europe. Pulisic is one, sure, but he's a massive outlier. Most of our exports still have below replacement level technical ability.

Marko72 repped this.
  7. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite their winning the Cup, the French league is overrated and continues to be. PSG is the big exception. Spain, except for Real & Atletico Madrid, and Barcelona aren't that deep. Juventus especially with Ronaldo now dominate Italy's league. I really don't know how good Portugal is.

8. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It's not. And I say this as someone who kind of enjoys watching it. To be really oversimplistic, it's basically Benfica+Porto, then Sporting, then maybe Braga, then 14 teams fighting each other to avoid relegation in mostly-empty stadiums.

LouisianaViking07/09 and TOAzer repped this.
  9. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The big difference now is that we are actually producing players who are ready to compete at clubs at the best leagues at young ages. And American players are cheap bargains since if you get them before they sign a pro contract in MLS you can get them for basically nothing. So it is a low risk potentially high reward investment. But, German and Dutch clubs are more likely to take that chance since there is not really any foreign player restrictions in those countries. In England there is work permits and most European countries there is a limit in the amount of Non-EU players you can sign. And Americans are going to gravitate towards Germany since it is a country where almost everyone speaks English, the clubs are willing to give chances to unproven players and there is a long history between German and American Soccer.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    When we have guys starting at decent clubs in Spain and Italy; then we made it. Germany has always been rather receptive to our boys. And England has been very difficult, but loads of our boys have played there. And it made it easier and easier for the next.

but when we have some Yanks in Italy; I feel that's when we have fully been won over.

11. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

12. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Fun fact: 8 of 18 teams are either in or within 3 points of the relegation zone right now. If Maritimo hadn't come back from 2-0 down to win 3-2 yesterday it'd be half the league.

13. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that's parity! MLS can learn from the masters......;)

14. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    As a former Philly STH who now lives in Chicago and whose family lives in Colorado after previously living in Florida and Boston, we're more there than you'd think.

/Was born in Minnesota, but who knows, they might actually be decent this year.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Aren't you guys lifting the anchor and rowing away from Europe anyway?

[​IMG]

LouisianaViking07/09 and adam tash repped this.