beIN Sports 2018-2019

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by EvanJ, Jun 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    BeIN picking up the road qualifiers was a very good thing in my book.
    I like their coverage.

2. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    They were given the opportunity to pay for the rights, but the owners, Traffic Sports I believe , overvalued them

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  3. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    In most countries, BeIn did an excellent decision to get established: get European soccer rights.

But in the United States, BeIn did a bad decision to get established: get European soccer rights.

unclesox, EvanJ and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  4. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    To each their own. I am not a big critic on the quality of coverage in this case of networks winning rights. To me having an additional player bidding for content increases the chance our domestic networks wont win the rights which is a bad thing for the reasons I mentioned earlier. It also reduces viewership for casual fans, and potential fans due to availability which is a bigger issue (to me) than quality of coverage.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Casual fans usually avoided the USA-Trinidad & Tobago or St. Vincent type of road games on ESPN2.
    I don't buy the premise that moving to beIN stunts the growth of the fans. In fact since the coverage was better with longer pre-game shows hyping up the match a fan could see it was a big deal on beIN as compared to going from world strongest man competitions into 2 minute pre-game coverage.

jcvf90 repped this.
  6. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    In other words, they should have saved their money on some of these fringe competitions here in the U.S. and offered double or triple what Fox offered for Thursday night NFL and solved their carriage issues.

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Some how I don't think the NFL would have wanted to deal with the same company as ALJazeera.

Would have been weird and bad publicity for the most part. Especially after the News failures and olbermann connection.

8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beyond the ownership of beIN, I don't think the NFL would want to be on a channel that existed for under 10 years.

9. alexolympiacos

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    If BeIN paid double or triple what they are getting now, the NFL would have created a package for them.

The NFL is the highest rated broadcast on at least 4 networks.

C.R.E.A.M, money talks.

NaBUru38 repped this.
  10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they? I remember more of them being on regular TV channels, or was that just the game in Azteca? Was it the 2009 game on Telemundo and English on mun2?

I remember the PPV/closed circuit being several cycles ago.

11. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah. They already have a partnership with BeIN outside of North America. But those channels have been around for awhile

12. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Mexico had it's own package so it was not included in the Traffic Sports package.

Guatemala v. USMNT was the last PPV game. Prior to that one being in traditional PPV, closed circuit was a common outlet for the non Mexico away qualifiers

13. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How in the world does airing the away games on a platform with less than 20 million potential viewers NOT stunt growth? ESPN 2 is in approx. 90 million homes. Way more chance of a casual stumbling upon a game on ESPN 2 than Bein.

beInSchwartz repped this.
  14. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Because they only care about $. Whoever pays more gets the rights. I doubt that the people in charge (who are oft corrupt anyway) care about growing their qualifiers more than “which network will pay us the most money over x number of years

15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Concacaf Team X hosts the USA, they want money from TV, but why should they care if the popularity of soccer grows in the USA in general? Team X might feel like they have an easier time qualifying if the popularity of soccer in the USA doesn't grow.

16. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Because it's still the largest market in the Western Hemisphere. If people in the US don't care about soccer, they won't watch, and if they won't watch, the value of those qualifiers sinks, which costs those individual federations money. If all 300 million Americans were suddenly soccer fans, those individual nations could charge an obscene amount of money because demand for it would be significantly higher, thus allowing them to make more money.

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Stunting the growth of soccer is underrated in any case. If soccer was super popular in the U.S., every soccer match (in English) would be covered like the last WC, complete with clownish pre- and post-match shows. No thank you!

The quantity of televised games readily available to us wouldn’t necessarily increase either. And certainly, the ticket price of live matches wouldn’t decrease.

I see little/no benefit of the game growing in the U.S.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't see the game growing on ESPN2 after some obscure tv show nobody watches and playing a crappy Caribbean team on a crappy field in front of an empty stadium.

Most casual fans would tune out. Heck most of us passionate fans around here would tune out.

19. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Some of those central american teams don't have enough money to charter a plane (i. e. Honduras when playing Australia in the WC qualifiers). Plus, half the money ends up in the pockets of the individuals who may not be around in four years when the new deal is signed. Add these two together and it's clear why the money goes to the highest bidder. Now, if Concacaf would do something and pool the rights like UEFA, maybe it would be better.

20. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree somewhat, and I don't like clownish people like Fiore, but growing the the game can help in ways other than game availability and ticket prices. If growing the game would make the quality of American players better, that would be good. It would be good if a greater percentage of fans at home game rooted for the USMNT. I'd like if soccer got popular enough that WFAN (being the most popular Sports station in the biggest market it's probably the most listened to Sports station in the country) would tell you if the USMNT had a WCQ that day. If the Red Bulls play NYCFC in the playoffs, how much the local media cares will show how far MLS has to go. Two New York City areas teams haven't met in the playoffs since the Devils beat the Rangers in May 2012, and it hasn't happened in one of the three most popular leagues since the Nets swept the Knicks in April 2004.

21. kalin21

kalin21 Member

May 26, 2009
    TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Anyone here watch Bein on Roku? beinn connect app is not working for me for a week! I get this message :"No media Found" on all channels .. I emailed support but they are not helping

22. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Yeah ran into the same thing on both of my Rokus last weekend. Connect (unless you're accessing it through Fubo) is a shitshow.

TJNash, Redbullsnation2012 and kalin21 repped this.
  23. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    • beIN was scheduled to show a half-dozen Copa Del Rey matches next Tuesday through Thursday, but now they have been removed from their listings guide. Have they lost the rights, or at the very least, have to negotiate a new deal to show this years matches?
    Perhaps socceraction can clarify the situation....

24. Lothsor

Lothsor Red Card

Oct 19, 2018
    Or ESPN and Fox undervalues them.

My understanding is that ESPN/Fox get the home qualifiers for almost nothing.

That is on US Soccer.

25. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Looks like they finally fixed Connect on Roku - I'm watching Ligue 1 this afternoon on it for the first time in weeks.