beIN Sports 2018-2019

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by EvanJ, Jun 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    ^ this is what beIN and the cable companies are doing right now -- finding out if anyone cares -- and what that care amounts to in carriage fee.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  2. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Playstation Vue dropped bein two years ago after having them only for a year or two. At the time, bein said that sony didn't want to pay what everyone else was paying them. Sony told them to get lost, as they had data on what people were watching. On playstation vue forum, maybe 10 to 15 people complained.

I wonder what will happen to bein. La Liga is one of those properties where it would make sense to split it into English language and Spanish language rights down the road.

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think that Euro football has to get with the times and move to individual streaming contracts. Let us decide what we do and do not want to watch. I thought NGSN had a good model in this regard but then they ran afoul of paying for broadcast rights. BeIn were turning into a Madrid/Barcelona broadcast network and the only way you could watch some of the other matches was on-line and even they it was limited. I'm not shedding any tears as there always will be alternatives for the computer savvy users.

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have Fios and lost beIN Sports, but beIN Sports Connect still works for me.

QPR Kevin H repped this.
  5. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    LOL, no one tell beIN, they might wake up and switch off Verizon authentication

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I tried the same but it didn't work. Not because of the expired agreement but because it just doesn't work. #pos :rolleyes:

TJNash and beInSchwartz repped this.
  7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  8. Ed Ennui

Ed Ennui Member

Lazio
    United States
    Jul 18, 2006
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't this what MLB and the NBA do - offer comprehensive league-wide streaming packages to overseas viewers? (I know a few games are available on Sky 8 The Ocho or whatnot, they are probably excluded from streaming).

There must be some reason European leagues prefer to be held hostage by whatever cable/streaming upstart is flush with VC that summer.

9. Ed Ennui

Ed Ennui Member

Lazio
    United States
    Jul 18, 2006
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I guess it has something to do with Euro football being far more popular in the U.S. than MLB is overseas.

There is niche content and then there's ultra niche. The latter might not even make it to TV.

11. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    It's impossible for the leagues to offer these packages because of different model and number of games. Even if they had technical capability, it would look something like NBC sports gold because they could offer 2-3 games per round as all other games are televised by business partners. And business partners would never allow you to include the games that they televise.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Verizon and BeIN have reached an agreement! Service has been restored. Can’t help but speculate that the loss of serie A might have helped.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Hmmm..still can’t log in to the app/ streaming. Oh well...

14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm using a browser, not an app, and I was able to watch.

15. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Im curious to see how the loss of Serie A will effect the scheduling. My hope is more Ligue 1 and Turkish Super Lig while non Barca/Madrid matches from La Liga will be on Bein Espanol. Knowing Bein itll be back to inept scheduling and Ill be annoyed by the end of August.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think it is a good bet that they will put every PSG game on as long as it does not conflict with Barca or Real.

17. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    They did that even with Serie A. I remember missing some big serie A games so they can show PSG live.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Well , let's see if it extends to Monaco and whoever else is battling for second.

19. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I think you can count on the Ligue 1 match that usually starts at 9AM Eastern on Sunday to replace the Serie A match in that time slot. The other Serie A time slots were usually 2:45PM on Saturdays/Sundays, so whichever one of those doesn't conflict with Barca/Real/Atletico will get a Turkish match on Saturday and probably the 3PM French match on Sundays which is when PSG often plays anyway. Also barring big club conflicts, a good chance the 11AM Saturday Ligue 1 match gets televised.

20. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    La Liga and US Team games are underserved on Bein Sports.

I never thought they would make much traction due to AlJazeera ownership (that would bug people in certain circles) but they essentially seem like CBS Sports Network minus CBSs name recognition. And we all know how relevant CBS Sports net is.

I think La Liga will be watching Serie A's performance on ESPN carefully. These next two years. While not foolproof, they should be able to make some decent buzz with Ronaldo and Juve in particular.

La Liga imo is a solid second behind EPL in the UEFA popularity rankings state side. If anything, Fox should switch out their Bundesliga coverage for La Liga.

That is of course if Bundesliga's American charm offensive doesnt boost tv ratings or streaming numbers.

21. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    La liga is much more popular with spanish speaking crowd. If I were La Liga, I would be giving rights to either Telemundo or Univision no matter how much money Bein throws at them. Getting less money from fox or espn is preferrable, with stipulation Barca and Real are televised, than living in obscurity on bein. Hopefully, La Liga has learned something in the last ten years.

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    La Liga conflicts with NCAA sports on Saturdays. A lot of the time at least one of Barcelona or Real Madrid will play Saturday at 10:15 A.M., 12:30 P.M., or 2:45 P.M. The Bundesliga has 9:30 A.M. games that are over before NCAA sports start.

23. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'm not sure if Comcast would be willing to invest in the rights, but I think NBC/Telemundo would be a good home for La Liga. Though that would probably trigger another streaming paywall for lower profile matches. NBCSN/Telemundo/T Deportes have room for afternoon sports and they could bridge their well respected Premier League coverage with La Liga studio and matches.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Good point,
    However, they can do the paywall route trend and put everything on Fox Soccer Match Pass and/or Fox Soccer plus. And put just the Real Madrid and Barca games that do not conflict with their NCAA games on various TV channels.
    And if they get the Spanish Rights they can put many matches on Deportes.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The Spanish NBC Sports Gold could be called Telemundo Deportes Oro.:p